Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 10:40 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,264,797 times

Advertisements

another here that hates "EaDo"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 10:58 AM

392 posts, read 998,214 times
Also hate "EaDo" and I live there.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:02 AM

18,122 posts, read 25,262,858 times
We need somebody to sit down and come up with names for all the areas in Houston.
I've pointed it out before, that is ridiculous when they say in the news "Something bad happened in NW Houston"
when NW Houston is almost the size of San Antonio.

Just saying

Old 06-06-2013, 11:13 AM

6,287 posts, read 7,491,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Imagine how confusing it must be for people not from the area who have to deal with fake neighborhood names and roads that have 2 or 3 names.
OK I agree about the names of neighborhoods. Eado is a cheesy takeoff of SoHo in NYC, which stands for south of Houston st. BTW. But the multi names for streets is a Houston tradition. Everybody knows that Beechnut turns into North Braeswood, which in turn, turns into Mcgregor. Remember Crosstimbers turns into 43rd which then becomes Clay rd @ Hempstead. Don't take this too far.. We don't want to make it too easy

Old 06-06-2013, 11:46 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,615,292 times
People do realize that pretty much every city has nicknames for hoods/districts,sections of the city. Just the way it is.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:47 AM

18,122 posts, read 25,262,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Everybody knows that Beechnut turns into North Braeswood, which in turn, turns into Mcgregor.
Got common sense? (I'm talking about the city)

Old 06-06-2013, 12:35 PM

6,287 posts, read 7,491,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Got common sense? (I'm talking about the city)
lol, I was just having some fun with it.

I agree there needs to be a better way of telling people where an event took place. Perhaps they need to identify the nearest major intersection, for instance near 1960 @ Jones rd, in NW Harris County. Whenever I set an appointment for a home repair that's always one of the questions they ask, what is the closest major intersection to you.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:59 PM

370 posts, read 862,642 times
i agree. the knock-off new york or london names smack of insecurity. Austin and Dallas also try to force the lame copycat names like SoCo and SoMo or LoMac..

Nicknames happen organically and many of these reek of being inauthentic...make them seem like poseurs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
"The proliferation of faux New York City style names needs to stop, and it might as well stop here"

I agree. Its not "uptown" its the galleria area. Its not "Neartown" its Montrose. If you live off of Washington Ave you don't live in "the Heights". Its not "midtown" its fourth ward. It's not 'EaDo" its the east end.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:19 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,384 times
i had heard "neartown" for the first time a long time ago. like 15+ years? certainly it was before I left for college. i dont think that is a new name. i dont remember hearing "midtown" back then but that name is purely descriptive. plus back then it was little Mogadishu

washington ave cant simply be called 4th ward and montrose is montrose. lots of montrose is 4th ward. as it is such an area now it needs a name in and of itself so people know what you are talking about. the "washington ave area" is annoying to say

i say east end for Eado - btw how it that pronounced "ee-doh"? that is how i said it once. never again

Old 06-06-2013, 03:54 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,661,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
OK I agree about the names of neighborhoods. Eado is a cheesy takeoff of SoHo in NYC, which stands for south of Houston st. BTW. But the multi names for streets is a Houston tradition. Everybody knows that Beechnut turns into North Braeswood, which in turn, turns into Mcgregor. Remember Crosstimbers turns into 43rd which then becomes Clay rd @ Hempstead. Don't take this too far.. We don't want to make it too easy
This is what confused me the most when I first moved here. Ok, that and the feeder roads, and how you can have roads with the same name not connected in two different places. Ok, a lot of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston