Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 11:24 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,288 times

Advertisements

I am amazed this is even an issue to discuss. It is an aged and ugly structure that is past its time. As mentioned many times there is no use for the thing. If it was practical to make it a water park, a hotel, a disco or a convention center it would have happened by now. How many cities have the old stadium sitting empty right nest to the new one? And actually have an ongoing debate about what to do with it? Weird

Most other cities would have torn it down long ago. Heck, we have another empty stadium to worry about. Minute Maid park. Keep dreaming people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 11:49 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,804 times
I live in a seventies condo that looks outdated already--reminds me of the lyrics by local (anti)heroes, the Arcade Fire: "when all of the houses in the seventies finally fall, they'll mean nothing at all." But I also feel for architecture and its historical value. I mean, there are brand new houses being built today that reference ancient Greco-Roman architectural principles. To tear down the Astrodome is to cast a judgment on modern civilization.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:38 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Thumbs up Save the Dome !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
I live in a seventies condo that looks outdated already--reminds me of the lyrics by local (anti)heroes, the Arcade Fire: "when all of the houses in the seventies finally fall, they'll mean nothing at all." But I also feel for architecture and its historical value. I mean, there are brand new houses being built today that reference ancient Greco-Roman architectural principles. To tear down the Astrodome is to cast a judgment on modern civilization.
WOW jerbear , this is profound, and I hope this philosophical approach is effective as a deterrent to tearing down the Dome . However, I doubt the financial interest that are conspiring to destroy this building of historical significance, if it serves them financially, will be swayed by such "impractical" sentiments. You mine as well be negotiating with a hungry bear. The only thing that is going to save the Dome is public support for a "public" option at the ballot box....

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...astrodome.html

Last edited by Jack Lance; 06-13-2013 at 05:47 PM..

Old 06-13-2013, 05:12 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
yeah just like no one was going to vote for the rail, or the 400 million school bond, are the bayou intiavte. all of which relied heavly on Tax payers.

all these polled heavly in favor of prior to being voted on.. which taken in the last time the voters where asked about the domes.'Save the Dome' leads poll by a landslide - Houston Chronicle
gives a strong indicator that if put on a ballot it would pass
Yes, and we just shelled out almost a billion in those bonds. I voted for almost all of them. All of them better Houston and were needed for its future. Saving the Dome is completely different. I think the vote would be a landslide loss to save it. I would rather put 100-400 million towards something useful. Like adding more light rail, street improvements, or more money for schools. I am all for improving our parks like buffalo bayou and discovery green. I think they really improve the city. Anyways, I guess we willget to find out some day.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:27 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Yes, and we just shelled out almost a billion in those bonds. I voted for almost all of them. All of them better Houston and were needed for its future. Saving the Dome is completely different. I think the vote would be a landslide loss to save it. I would rather put 100-400 million towards something useful. Like adding more light rail, street improvements, or more money for schools. I am all for improving our parks like buffalo bayou and discovery green. I think they really improve the city. Anyways, I guess we willget to find out some day.
I did not say rather are not they are a good idea, I said the polls have often been a good indictaor of what would pass a public vote, while I agree I would rather see more money for rail, parks , schools also.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
A vote is the only way this is going to be settled, either way. Can you imagine the accusations of corruption, and irresponsibility, on either side, if this was done (again either way) without a vote?

Old 06-13-2013, 06:45 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,537 times
No, I really don't feel there is any corruption in the fate of the Dome. It has been empty for a decade without a good idea. I think a vote would be a waste of time. Time to **** or get off the pot. The politicians and judges are all talk. I think they are trying to save it to look good to the public. I don't mind saving the Dome if there is a solid idea. I think a retention pond/lake makes the most sense. You can park the edges of it with a big lake in the middle. It would be the cheapest option without looking like a parking lot.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:12 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Demo it, sell as many pieces of it as you can as memories (seats, turf, etc) and tear that damn thing down. It's a mess, it's falling apart and it's becoming more and more of a liability every day that it sits there without being properly maintained. No plan that anyone could come up with will ever work given it's location right next door to the new stadium. Just tear it down and let's move on before someone is hurt or killed in it or because of it.

The last thing we need is a reason or a place to house another round of hurricane refugees in our city.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
No, I really don't feel there is any corruption in the fate of the Dome. It has been empty for a decade without a good idea. I think a vote would be a waste of time. Time to **** or get off the pot. The politicians and judges are all talk. I think they are trying to save it to look good to the public. I don't mind saving the Dome if there is a solid idea. I think a retention pond/lake makes the most sense. You can park the edges of it with a big lake in the middle. It would be the cheapest option without looking like a parking lot.
In one post you claim a vote would be a "landslide" against saving the Dome, then, just a few moments later, you post, a vote would be a waste of time! How would putting this on a ballot, which would have minimum cost sense there will be an election in November anyway, be a waste of time? If you are so sure tearing the building down is the best thing to do, and the voters would so overwhelmingly agree with your position, why not go through the motions and put it to a vote

P.S. If you like the lake , park idea , why not the Eiffel Dome idea ?

Last edited by Jack Lance; 06-13-2013 at 08:29 PM..

Old 06-14-2013, 11:25 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
In one post you claim a vote would be a "landslide" against saving the Dome, then, just a few moments later, you post, a vote would be a waste of time! How would putting this on a ballot, which would have minimum cost sense there will be an election in November anyway, be a waste of time? If you are so sure tearing the building down is the best thing to do, and the voters would so overwhelmingly agree with your position, why not go through the motions and put it to a vote

P.S. If you like the lake , park idea , why not the Eiffel Dome idea ?
Because super optimistic people will want to save it based solely on nostalgia and it will continue to rot and soak up funds from the county. They will vote to save it and in another decade no one will have a plan and the building will be caving in on itself. Blow it up, would be fun to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston