Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 29,514 times

Advertisements

Hi. I will be graduating soon with a degree in Spanish. I want to teach, but I have no education degree or certificate. There are quite a few companies in Texas offering alternative certification such as A+ Texas Teachers. I'm really interested in those programs where you have a few weeks training in the Summer and then are a "teaching intern" for a year and receive your state certification at the completion of one year teaching rather than going and taking classes for a year and getting certified after all those classes and time. I was thinking about signing up with one of these Alternative Certification Programs to get into teaching Spanish in Houston. Does that sound like a good idea? I'm most worried about actually finding a job as a teaching intern in Spanish. Could I find one? (I know math, science, and bilingual are very high demand, but I'm not sure about Spanish). If you know someone who would be knowledgeable about the subject, please have them respond. Thanks.

Last edited by jroesch; 06-20-2009 at 08:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 09:04 PM

447 posts, read 1,766,612 times
Check out Alief and HISD. They offer their own Alternative Cert Programs. Also check out Region IV.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:07 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,452,629 times
Default Region IV

I would check out Region IV. Region 4 Home

Old 06-21-2009, 06:50 AM

211 posts, read 566,639 times
I'm a teacher and agree with the above posts. Do your research on Region IV's website and see what you come up with. I'm currently not teaching in Texas or I would do what I could to help you. I'm sure there will be opportunities for teaching Spanish. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about it, though.

Good luck,
Scott

Old 06-21-2009, 07:04 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,831,614 times
I know two people who did alternative certification and they both took jobs teaching at private schools. I don't know if that means anything, just anecdotal knowledge.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:46 PM

447 posts, read 1,766,612 times
I did alternative certification about 7 years ago, along with my sister thru Region IV. I taught for 3 years- Alief ISD and Katy. Then went back to my true love, nursing, which I have been doing for 26 years! My sister still teachs- first grade in Lamar Consolidated.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:34 AM

298 posts, read 955,304 times
I had briefly considered this route - does anyone know offhand the differences if you have a master's degree?

edit - the SBEC site has an outline, but just lumps it together in as post-baccalaureate..
http://www.sbec.state.tx.us/SBECOnline/certinfo/becometeacher.asp?width=1280&height=1024 (broken link)

Old 06-22-2009, 12:18 PM

18 posts, read 99,758 times
Good Afternoon, A good ACP program is ACTHouston. I have notice that you posted in multiple Texas cities website and they are located in each the cites you posted. They are reasonable and the program is short. They do offer a summer program, but it has started. As stated in another post you may want to look at bilingual or ESL. They are trying to do away with some electives and the people that are currently in those positions are usually not going anywhere anytime soon. Plus with ESL you can get student loans paid back and extra money. Bilingual teachers also get a stipend for extra $$. Good Luck in your search.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:58 PM

15 posts, read 77,454 times
I agree, ACT Houston is a great program. Theyre a bit more expensive than other ACPs and make you work harder during their 'institute' but its well worth it. I got a job one week out of the program.

Bilingual teachers are very much in demand. You shouldnt have trouble finding work. Goodluck!

Old 09-02-2009, 11:28 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,484,637 times
Default Tried Adult Education?

Lots of the integrated majors as well as energy service companies are working projects in Mexico, Central and South America or with Spanish-speaking partners and are giving in-house classes in Spanish to their English-speaking employees. You might check out this route - you may have to go in through a language instruction/translation company rather than directly, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroesch View Post
Hi. I will be graduating soon with a degree in Spanish. I want to teach, but I have no education degree or certificate. There are quite a few companies in Texas offering alternative certification such as A+ Texas Teachers. I'm really interested in those programs where you have a few weeks training in the Summer and then are a "teaching intern" for a year and receive your state certification at the completion of one year teaching rather than going and taking classes for a year and getting certified after all those classes and time. I was thinking about signing up with one of these Alternative Certification Programs to get into teaching Spanish in Houston. Does that sound like a good idea? I'm most worried about actually finding a job as a teaching intern in Spanish. Could I find one? (I know math, science, and bilingual are very high demand, but I'm not sure about Spanish). If you know someone who would be knowledgeable about the subject, please have them respond. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: