Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 09:01 AM

35 posts, read 60,308 times

Advertisements

I've lived here for 3 and half years and in that time I've never really explored downtown much. We have friends in town and I wanted to take them there, any advice on best way to spend a Saturday there bearing in mind I'll also have a 11 and 14 year old with us.

Thank in advance

P.S. I need to be at the Berry Center for 6PM for a high school football game so daytime activities is what I'm looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 09:23 AM

86 posts, read 106,064 times
Have you checked out Discovery Green? It's a nice green space near the convention center. Also there is an aquariam that the kids might enjoy!

Old 09-26-2014, 09:31 AM

785 posts, read 1,235,018 times
The weather is starting to get nice, so check out the Lee and Joe Jamail Skatepark over by Eleanor Tinsley Park. Have the kids bring their skateboards, or if they don’t have any then rent some bikes from the bike share station over by Sabine bridge. It's only 5 dollars for the day and you can pay with a credit card at the kiosk.

If you guys choose to bike, one of my favorite things to do is follow the bike trail under the freeway (very cool) over to the Sabine-to-Bagby Promenade (which has a cool wooden bridge to downtown that’s great for photo ops). From here, you can follow the bayou further down to Sesquicentennial Park and park your bikes at the bike station in front of Sundance Cinemas, and have lunch at one of the restaurants there or catch a movie. You can also bike further down to Market Square Park instead and park your bikes at the station there and eat at the Niko Niko’s stand (they have great gyros) or one of the other restaurants nearby like Barnaby’s or Fusion Taco.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:56 AM

860 posts, read 1,586,050 times
Just heard that Metro light rail won't be running this weekend due to construction on the downtown portion.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:01 PM

11 posts, read 11,037 times
Sam Houston park has 1800 old homes the use a cell phone self tour. Christmas they habe inside tours with music. 10$ per person. It is behind the city Hall. Aquarium is great north west end.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:41 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
Don't go to The Aquarium.. It's expensive and not all that great from everything I've heard. Definitely hit up Discovery Green (parking on the roads around the park is free on the weekends). Even check discogreens website ahead of time. They may be having some kind of event since it's Saturday. Unfortunately the Chase observation deck is closed on the weekends. Maybe the 43rd lounge or w/e it's called on top of Wedge Tower(?)? They may allow under age during daytime hours?

Old 09-26-2014, 09:54 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1101 View Post
P.S. I need to be at the Berry Center for 6PM for a high school football game so daytime activities is what I'm looking for.
Leave early. If you're still in downtown at quitting time, you might hope that game's on the radio somewhere so you'll have something to listen to in traffic.

The "aquarium" is not what it might sound like. It's not an almost-zoo like the one in Dallas. It's a Landry's chain restaurant with some special amenities. I guess it's worth going to once.

Discovery Green is a good public space, as is the new Market Square Park.

Downtown Houston is not really geared toward the street level tourist, but there's more there than there was a few years ago.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:32 AM

498 posts, read 837,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Even check discogreens website ahead of time.
Are we really doing this?

Old 09-27-2014, 07:16 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default Dang...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonWest View Post
Sam Houston park has 1800 old homes the use a cell phone self tour. Christmas they habe inside tours with music. 10$ per person. It is behind the city Hall. Aquarium is great north west end.
1800 homes... I was not aware there were neighborhoods that big in downtown. The 'density' folks are always complaining that downtown is not dense enough.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:49 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
1800 homes... I was not aware there were neighborhoods that big in downtown. The 'density' folks are always complaining that downtown is not dense enough.
They're houses that were moved from elsewhere in downtown while they were knocking down everything else and paving it over in the 70s.

When those houses were built, what is now called "downtown" was most of the Houston townsite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston