Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 07:05 PM

18,059 posts, read 25,143,739 times

Advertisements

Since "the largest newspaper of the 4th largest city in the United States" has this story so hidden in their webpage that I completely missed it
I thought I would go ahead and say "Happy Juneteenth" to everybody in Houston and share a little bit about this amazing celebration that I didn't know existed until I came to South Texas.

Residents remember history's lessons on Juneteenth - Houston Chronicle - June 15, 2013

Juneteenth World Wide Celebration
Quote:
Juneteenth is the oldest nationally celebrated commemoration of the ending of slavery in the United States.

From its Galveston, Texas origin in 1865, the observance of June 19th as the African American Emancipation Day has spread across the United States and beyond.

Today Juneteenth commemorates African American freedom and emphasizes education and achievement. It is a day, a week, and in some areas a month marked with celebrations, guest speakers, picnics and family gatherings. It is a time for reflection and rejoicing. It is a time for assessment, self-improvement and for planning the future. Its growing popularity signifies a level of maturity and dignity in America long over due. In cities across the country, people of all races, nationalities and religions are joining hands to truthfully acknowledge a period in our history that shaped and continues to influence our society today. Sensitized to the conditions and experiences of others, only then can we make significant and lasting improvements in our society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 07:50 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,010,907 times
Isn't Juneteenth, June 19th???

Old 06-15-2013, 07:56 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,694,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Since "the largest newspaper of the 4th largest city in the United States" has this story so hidden in their webpage that I completely missed it
I thought I would go ahead and say "Happy Juneteenth" to everybody in Houston and share a little bit about this amazing celebration that I didn't know existed until I came to South Texas.

Residents remember history's lessons on Juneteenth - Houston Chronicle - June 15, 2013

Juneteenth World Wide Celebration
[font=Verdana][font=Verdana]
June 19th is four days away, The Chronicle isn't hiding the story.

It's a pretty darn liberal paper, they'll cover it.

Growing up in Houston I didn't hear anything about this (the name "Juneteenth" & the parades/celebrations) until high school or college. That's weird.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:31 PM

18,059 posts, read 25,143,739 times
Why are people in Galveston, Houston and San Antonio celebrating it today (I'm a little confused)

Old 06-15-2013, 09:11 PM

4,367 posts, read 4,577,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Why are people in Galveston, Houston and San Antonio celebrating it today (I'm a little confused)
Cause the actual day is on the 19th which is tuesday a weekday. You can do more celebrations and parades on the weekend leading up to the actual day. And I just love how the article dresses up the origins of Juneteenth. So PC, it should read Juneteenth the day the slaves(my ancestors)found out later then any other state in the union that were now free. The Texas slave masters wanted to milk chattle slavery as long as possible.

And it's kind of sad how the Texas public school system don't put enough emphasis on this historic day. Luckily in my hometown most ppl,well black ppl celebrated Juneteenth.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:12 PM

53 posts, read 138,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Cause the actual day is on the 19th which is tuesday a weekday. You can do more celebrations and parades on the weekend leading up to the actual day. And I just love how the article dresses up the origins of Juneteenth. So PC, it should read Juneteenth the day the slaves(my ancestors)found out later then any other state in the union that were now free. The Texas slave masters wanted to milk chattle slavery as long as possible.

And it's kind of sad how the Texas public school system don't put enough emphasis on this historic day. Luckily in my hometown most ppl,well black ppl celebrated Juneteenth.
I have been in Houston 4 years & this year my first grader son is the one who told me about the day. He leant of it from his elementary school (public)

Old 06-16-2013, 06:14 AM

4,367 posts, read 4,577,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eranical View Post
I have been in Houston 4 years & this year my first grader son is the one who told me about the day. He leant of it from his elementary school (public)
So are you saying you had no idea of this day till your 1st grade son informed you of the day?

Old 06-16-2013, 11:56 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,362,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
So are you saying you had no idea of this day till your 1st grade son informed you of the day?
I've never heard of it until I moved to Texas.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:18 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,116,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Isn't Juneteenth, June 19th???

Old 06-16-2013, 02:08 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,029,494 times
it is a specifically texas thing that is why if you arent from texas you never heard about it

id venture to say most whites from wouldnt know of it either whether they were born in texas or not. it wasnt till i was working in an office where most other workers were black did i found out what it was. if little kids are hearing about it i'd guess their teacher is black or hispanic or they have black kids in their class. that's my guess. not saying that is right. i sure never learned about it in school

the state does consider it a skeleton crew day for state employees so they do recognize it in some way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston