Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 11:15 AM

16 posts, read 26,225 times

Advertisements

I just don't want to go to a traditional masters/MBA program due to high costs. If I were working at an oil and gas company in Houston already, would i still be considered promotions if i had done my MBA online, possibly from any and including out-of-state universities in the nation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 11:37 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,361 times
People rag on online degrees a lot but I've realized not all are the same.

Now, if you're going to University of Phoenix, Devry, and one of "those" online universities that most think/probably are even a tiny bit scammy then no.

Now if you're getting an online masters, bachelors, PhD at an actual university then yes. I know a lady who got her master online from Pepperdine. That's pretty legit. Masters from Capella University? I wouldn't. I don't think it's worth it. There's enough out of state universities that have legit online programs. UT has an online MBA. That? Yes, absolutely. If you're getting it from Capella University? That? Hell no. At least a hell no to me. I'd rather go to online university in small town Alaska than a for profit scammy "university" to get a promotion.

I feel like as long as it's not from a for profit university than no one will bat an eye at the online degree.

Now places like Le Cordon Bleu doesn't count because that's cooking. But getting a MBA, masters, PhD from a for profit or non profit. I wouldn't.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:42 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,019,230 times
You need to understand first why you are getting your MBA, and how it will help achieve your goals. I don't think the online route will help your career any.

Focus on being a consistently high performer with your company, and after several years, approach them about financial assistance on either a part-time or full-time MBA program. But you have to have your case ready and show how it will benefit the company long term.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:52 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,537 times
I have lots of friends that got or are getting MBAs. They are mostly doing it because their company is picking up the bill. It does not help your pay a lot though.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:22 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,408,992 times
If you have a job at an oil company, spending time to do more on your job will get you promoted faster than an MBA online. I worked for one for 38 yrs that is my experience at one of the global major oils.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:42 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,275 times
Solid track record, outstanding results, proven expertise, will all weight more than any online degree. Now an MBA from Rice or other big calibers, that's a different story. As a hiring manager that will be my criteria

Old 06-16-2013, 09:11 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
I work for an O&G company and went back to school for a Masters. A co-worker did the same. My boss told me that he didn't understand why Betty was getting a degree from University of Phoenix. He said "that isn't going to do anything for her, at a minimum, she should at least be getting a degree from a "real' university, even U of H." Most for whom the company pays their tuition tend to go to Rice, and a couple went to UT's weekend MBA program.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:10 AM

191 posts, read 350,768 times
Not really

Old 06-17-2013, 09:34 AM

439 posts, read 1,242,184 times
Personally, I'd just stay away from the college mills like Devry, Kaplan, University of Phoenix, etc. . My friend told me whenever his boss came across a resume from one of those schools she throw them in the garbage.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:32 AM

288 posts, read 433,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post

Now, if you're going to University of Phoenix, Devry, and one of "those" online universities that most think/probably are even a tiny bit scammy then no.
When you say "online", almost everyone will think of a for profit school like Devry or University of Phoenix.

Online doesn't mean jack, its just an option. The University of North Carolina is pumping a lot of funding into their marketing for their online MBA. Its UNC, and if you get accepted, your degree doesn't say how you obtained it, but its a major high ranking graduate school. Just so happens they offer an online MBA and their admissions for their online MBA probably won't differ too much from their full time program. UNC has a major reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston