Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:31 AM

51 posts, read 90,001 times

Advertisements

I am pretty new to this whole car insurance stuff. How much do you guys normally pay every 6 months?

I am a young male below 25 driving a 2 door v6 sports car. No tickets, just graduated college.

I am asking in the Houston section because I learnt that car insurance can be affected by the region you live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 10:42 AM

914 posts, read 1,832,233 times
Young men driving sports cars typically have higher rates than females or older drivers. Call several companies to get quotes. The rate will also depends on whether you want the minimum coverage 30/60 or extra coverage such as uninsured motorist coverage, etc.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:59 AM

222 posts, read 417,888 times
Finding car insurance for oneself and optimizing it for the first time is a bit of work. If you really want to save money, you have to understand what all you are paying for and you have to go through the different insurance company websites. It takes time and patience. But at least you have all the knowledge to make the right decision. It may vary a lot among the different companies. But generally speaking, you are 25 single male driving a sports car will be at the higher end of the scale.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:51 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostboii View Post
I am asking in the Houston section because I learnt that car insurance can be affected by the region you live in.
Most of the time it's affected negatively if you have bad credit as well.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:28 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,377 times
Talk to an independent insurance agent. They will represent many companies and will point you to their most competitive offer. I would also check Nationwide and State Farm.

A young man with a sports car? Don't cheap out on insurance. You really need uninsured coverage in Texas (don't get me started) and you should carry good medical coverage limits to cover anyone you injure. If you live in town I would carry a low deductible also to deal with minor fender benders and break ins.

Even when I was dirt poor I tried to carry responsible amounts of coverage. I never needed it but you never know.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:50 PM

36 posts, read 78,813 times
I used to believe people saying that every young male with a decent car would be paying astronomical rates for their vehicle, but then I found out that it simply is not true.

I just turned 23 years old last month and have two separate vehicles that I insure under a very popular and large insurance company. Here is what I pay for 30/60 liability and uninsured motorist protection:

2004 Infiniti G35 coupe sports package - $198.24 for 6 months

1997 Lexus ES300 - $212.55 for 6 months

I've only gotten around 2 tickets during my driving time, and fortunately have not had any accidents. Moral of the story is to save up and buy your car in cash if possible. If you pay for comprehensive coverage then you will be paying out the nose. Easily 3-5x the amount that I have listed.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:58 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,943,536 times
My girlfriend works for Farmer's and most types of insurance (not just vehicle) are more expensive in this area for a number of reasons. Hurricanes and flooding are one, along with a pretty healthy dose of vehicles being stolen and/or burgled.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 PM

51 posts, read 90,001 times
hmm interesting. I actaully have quite good credit and no tickets and accidents.

@menacide wow those are really low rates, I am going to have to research around

Old 06-26-2013, 07:05 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostboii View Post
hmm interesting. I actaully have quite good credit and no tickets and accidents.

@menacide wow those are really low rates, I am going to have to research around
Take a look at Progressive online. Their rates are very dependent on good credit. We have been with them for 8 years with good credit, no tickets and a couple of minor claims <$1,000 they handled extremely well through their concierge service. If I pay month to month it is the same as what my HO ins agent is quoting. If I pay in full every 6 months it is a 15% discount.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:08 AM

702 posts, read 1,235,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by menacide View Post
I just turned 23 years old last month and have two separate vehicles that I insure under a very popular and large insurance company. Here is what I pay for 30/60 liability and uninsured motorist protection:

2004 Infiniti G35 coupe sports package - $198.24 for 6 months

1997 Lexus ES300 - $212.55 for 6 months

If you pay for comprehensive coverage then you will be paying out the nose. Easily 3-5x the amount that I have listed.
Just paying for liability is great for your wallet until you're at fault in an accident and you'll wish you payed the premium for collision...

Happened to my little sister roughly ten years ago...she had to pay about $10k to get her car fixed. All because she didn't want to cough up the extra $300 per 6 months for collision.

I don't know my coverage off the top of my head and I pretty much have all the options, comprehensive, collision, uninsured, tow, rental, etc and I pay roughly $500/6 months each for a 2013 BRZ and 2012 TSX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston