Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 04:13 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times

Advertisements

Houston has been ranked 17th snobbiest cities in the U.S. by Travel and Leisure Mag., and the highest ranked (or lowest depending on your point of view) in Texas. Austin was 19th in the country.

BTW San Francisco was #1, New York #2 and Boston #3, what do you think about that? It really surprised me that Houston would be ranked the snobbiest city in Texas

America's snobbiest cities - Yahoo! Travel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 04:15 PM

102 posts, read 237,660 times
No way. Dallas is WAY snobbier!

Old 07-02-2013, 04:25 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,394,970 times
Default It's true...

Houston is an affluent city and has a lot of professionals. Rich people are often snobs. Sad, but true.

We have many Doctors, Lawyers, Society people, old money, new money, ex-presidents, Art collectors, Oil money etc....

Look at how many 100,000$ plus cars I see on the road every day.

On the other hand, we also have a huge lower and middle class that is diverse and welcoming.

I would say Dallas is more pretentious and wannabe than Houston, and Houston is more snobby.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:34 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Houston has been ranked 17th snobbiest cities in the U.S. by Travel and Leisure Mag., and the highest ranked (or lowest depending on your point of view) in Texas. Austin was 19th in the country.

BTW San Francisco was #1, New York #2 and Boston #3, what do you think about that? It really surprised me that Houston would be ranked the snobbiest city in Texas

America's snobbiest cities - Yahoo! Travel
Its a travel and leisure list, so its garbage. Its just a survey of a sample of their readers.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:09 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,206,100 times
The criteria: high-end shopping available, nice coffeehouses, cultural event (theater, etc.), a tech-savvy citizenry, a dislike of littering. I don't consider that snobby. The only thing mentioned that makes any connection to snobby is an aloof attitude.

I haven't ever noticed that aloofness in Houston - but then, I also have never noticed it in NYC or San Francisco.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:19 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymurr View Post
No way. Dallas is WAY snobbier!
Agree. Whenever I have to meet from colleagues from the DFW area, it is striking how dressed up they get for everything there. I could be wrong, but my perception is that appearances are MUCH more important in Dallas than Houston.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:24 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,102,097 times
its maybe not snobby per se, but it has a more nyc/chicago professional atmosphere and attitude especially in the inner city and the fancier areas. chicago, boston and nyc to me exhibits that fast paced professional atmosphere that professional houstonians also imitate.

for example, when i lived in LA i found it be more laid back, especially in how one dresses. i understand though its a west coast vibe but you could dress down/casual in nice places, restaurants and bars and not be looked at twice. here, people will look at you funny, sometimes looked down on and quick to judge if you aren't dressed to what their idea is nice. there aren't many styles people demonstrate in houston. i find this a lot on washington. guys have that same look- dark jeans, button up (maybe the blazer to compliment the shirt) and black dress shoes which looks awful.

drivers are also more aggressive which could translate into being snobby? people tailgate too much here but over time i think drivers will relax once they realize they can maneuver quickly in traffic jams. overall though people are still very friendly and i get along great no matter which area i visit in houston. but there are just some of those nicer areas like where i live in the galleria where i like to dress casual and some of the fancys dressin up and making me look bad lol.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:24 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,551,593 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary;
/snɒb/ noun
1. a person who imitates, cultivates, or slavishly admires social superiors and is condescending or overbearing to others.

2. a person who believes himself or herself an expert or connoisseur in a given field and is condescending toward or disdainful of those who hold other opinions or have different tastes regarding this field:

Yeah, that's us alright.
I recall some folks being a bit too proud of their proximity to Hershey Park as if it's some hillside on the Pacific Northwest

Old 07-02-2013, 05:26 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,551,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
its maybe not snobby per se, but it has a more nyc/chicago professional atmosphere and attitude especially in the inner city and the fancier areas. chicago, boston and nyc to me exhibits that fast paced professional atmosphere that professional houstonians also imitate.
This is another example

Old 07-02-2013, 05:54 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,169,330 times
There are snobs everywhere in Texas, and the all came from somewhere else and haven't been in Texas that long!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: