Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:47 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,015,548 times

Advertisements

In 3 months I will be finally moving to houston texas

I'm sick in tired of uniontown and close minded people. Long winters and no racial diversity
I'm making pretty good money here but I'm miserable.
Houston seems to be the perfect city for me.

is there anything I should know about houston before Imove out there.
I love hot summers racial diversity rich culture a good nightlife good food and lots of activities.
Any negatives?

Any advice

I will be making 470$ a week after taxes.
I'm a 24 yr old single guy with no kids.
I'm hoping to continue my education at houston community college make a lot of friends maybe find a partner make lots of money and party a lot.

How friendly are the people of houston?
Thanks for the info in advanced.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:06 AM

482 posts, read 874,756 times
I am wondering how you are going to afford it.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:16 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,017 times
People in Houston are friendly and it is ethnically diverse. No idea how you will afford to live, eat, drink, and go to HCC on that kind of salary. You will have to live in a crappy apartment with roommates. The worst part is that is about double minimum wage. I swear minimum wage needs to be doubled from what it is now. Anyways, good luck!

Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
In 3 months I will be finally moving to houston texas

I'm sick in tired of uniontown and close minded people. Long winters and no racial diversity
I'm making pretty good money here but I'm miserable.
Houston seems to be the perfect city for me.

is there anything I should know about houston before Imove out there.
I love hot summers racial diversity rich culture a good nightlife good food and lots of activities.
Any negatives?

Any advice

I will be making 470$ a week after taxes.
I'm a 24 yr old single guy with no kids.
I'm hoping to continue my education at houston community college make a lot of friends maybe find a partner make lots of money and party a lot.

How friendly are the people of houston?
Thanks for the info in advanced.

It sounds to me like you'll really enjoy Houston.

The most important thing to do before you move here is research where you are going to live. You'll want to find something that allows you to still have money to have fun while being in an area that is conducive to your lifestyle.

If you do a quick online search and find an apartment that looks decent that you can afford, you might end up in some suburb where you find yourself bored to death. My guess is that you'll want to be in an area like Montrose, The Heights or Midtown. Those areas will make it a little more tricky to find a place you can afford (tricky, not impossible), but they will provide the lifestyle you are probably looking for.

Good luck and welcome.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:39 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

The most important thing to do before you move here is research where you are going to live. You'll want to find something that allows you to still have money to have fun while being in an area that is conducive to your lifestyle.

If you do a quick online search and find an apartment that looks decent that you can afford, you might end up in some suburb where you find yourself bored to death. My guess is that you'll want to be in an area like Montrose, The Heights or Midtown. Those areas will make it a little more tricky to find a place you can afford (tricky, not impossible), but they will provide the lifestyle you are probably looking for.

Good luck and welcome.
I agree. My vote is for a 4-plex in Montrose. I would add that life will be much easier if you have a car and a roommate.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndJulie View Post
I am wondering how you are going to afford it.
i have no problem doing sidework or getting a part time job. i heard the economy out in houston is good.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
People in Houston are friendly and it is ethnically diverse. No idea how you will afford to live, eat, drink, and go to HCC on that kind of salary. You will have to live in a crappy apartment with roommates. The worst part is that is about double minimum wage. I swear minimum wage needs to be doubled from what it is now. Anyways, good luck!
i will get a room and get a part time job or do sidework.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

Good luck and welcome.
thanks for the info and luck.

ill check craigslist and see the apartments price range in those areas.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:27 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,332 times
Unfortunately, a lot of the smaller 4-plexes don't advertise. They just put a for lease sign out in front.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:37 AM

122 posts, read 222,972 times
That's a very tight budget to live AND have fun in a major city like Houston. However, time is on your side...at 24, single with no kids you can take 2 jobs or work nights and weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: