Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 01:22 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,512 times

Advertisements

Depends on what kind of liberal you are talking about. Houston is mainly conservative when it comes to fiscal policies, but liberal about social issues.

The hard core Rick Perry and Tea Party supporters are mainly in the rural areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 01:22 PM

298 posts, read 381,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark7 View Post
Wow. I thought young, highly educated professionals would be almost all liberal. To hear that it's only 50-50 in Houston is not encouraging to me.
Bah, you'll be fine. Some of my best friends are pretty far right, and I'm a big Obama supporter. Christmas is always a blast. One year, a friend gave me Sarah Palin's book while I gave him "Republican Gomorrah". Although I'm sure we both re-gifted these books faster than Will Ferrell with his bread machine in "Old School", we still had a good laugh.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:23 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times
Default Okay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBubble View Post
Right, and there aren't any militant conservatives...

Ha.. yes, I should clarify... the scale of political militantcy in Houston is not on par with LA, NY or SF.

There is political activism for sure, but not like there is in those cities, and no occupations, vandalism, or assults by Liberals as you see in other cities. Conservatives don't usually resort to those tactics in Texas, or anywhere else it seems.

BTW, where did that statistic of 70% come from I wonder? Houston has not had a Conservative mayor in decades that I recall, though we've had/have independents, but I could be wrong.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:25 PM

45 posts, read 136,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
Depends on what kind of liberal you are talking about.

Houston is mainly conservative when it comes to fiscal policies, but liberal about social issues.
Well, I'm talking primarily about the social aspect.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:27 PM

23,961 posts, read 15,066,841 times
There are lots of closet liberals in the oil bidness. They just keep it to themselves. The most liberal person I ever knew was a PR person for Shell. The couple across the street work for BP. Took me 10 years to get them to say out loud they voted Democratic.

That lesbian mayor can't make up her mind about party affiliation. She confesses to being a Democrat, but she talks Republican. Guess one needs to be a member of the Chamber Of Commerce Establishment Party to be a mayor.

Come on to Houston. You will get along just fine. Just hook up with one of the many Democratic groups when you need to talk politics if you can't find one anywhere else.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:28 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,694,093 times
I don't think it is conservative with fiscal or social. I don't find we really vote on things that involve either locally. That is mainly at the state level where we have all the wack jobs like Perry.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:31 PM

785 posts, read 1,234,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark7 View Post
Wow. I thought young, highly educated professionals would be almost all liberal. To hear that it's only 50-50 in Houston is not encouraging to me.
That should be a good thing. I prefer moderates instead of the fanatics on both sides, where every issue quickly devolves into "us vs. them".

Old 06-21-2013, 01:33 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,694,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
That should be a good thing. I prefer moderates instead of the fanatics on both sides, where every issue quickly devolves into "us vs. them".
There are no moderate conservatives left. It is probably greater than 50/50. Maybe 60/40 liberals to conservatives.

As for fiscally conservative. We passed over a billion dollars worth of bonds. We also added that flood tax thing for properties. That is not fiscally conservative. The rail system is not fiscally conservative either. I like to think of it as an investment in our future. That is fiscally liberal.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:34 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times
Default Fiscally conservative...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
That lesbian mayor can't make up her mind about party affiliation. She confesses to being a Democrat, but she talks Republican. Guess one needs to be a member of the Chamber Of Commerce Establishment Party to be a mayor.
Ha.. "that" mayor admits to being fiscally conservative, and worked for an oil related company for a decade prior to becoming mayor. She is doing a good job for Houston and is at the right place at the right time regarding the boom in Houston, and the economy... I expect her to be in some sort of higher office once she is out of the mayor's office.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:49 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
All the generalizing here seems to be about white (or maybe Asian) ethnicities, e.g. where to live etc. Houston has large portions of its suburban area, as well as nearly the entire suburban portion (Beltway 8 corridor) of the incorporated City of Houston itself that are majority non-Anglo and vote primarily Democratic.

For example, in general, in Katy ISD, north of the Katy Freeway votes Democratic, south votes Republican. In general.

Furthermore there's areas inside the Loop that are full of conservative white folks, though I'm guessing that most politically conscious liberal-leaning whites probably gravitate inside the Loop (the near west side of inside the Loop only) and some old surburban areas just outside the Loop to the northwest and southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston