Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 02:06 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,214,982 times

Advertisements

you can watch sports online also if you know where to stream from...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 03:27 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
you can watch sports online also if you know where to stream from...
That.

I ditched Comcast (never really had an issue with them aside from the barrage of junk mail) back in April and stream everything from a sports site that puts me in the "first row"...

I don't watch much TV, so going from $170 for Double Play to $50 for Clear was big. No budget crunch, just...didn't like paying for stuff I don't care to watch and still needing to upgrade to get more channels I really wanted in the first place.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:35 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
I mostly watch shows on the premium channels, and I don't know there is an alternative to cable or satellite for those unless you pirate (which I refuse to do). Yeah, there is HBO Go, but you have to have a sub for it to work.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:22 AM

392 posts, read 998,313 times
I recently found out about Amazon Instant video, its kind of their version of Netflix and I am actually liking it better.

You get the instant video with your Amazon prime membership which is $79 a year or $6.58/mo and with Amazon prime you get free 2 day shipping on most items and 1 day shipping for $3.99 iirc. If you shop on amazon a lot like me the membership pays for itself in shipping costs alone in 2 or 3 months.

Wish I could get my cable bill down, Comcast just increased me from $220 to $300/mo for the triple play with the highest speed internet the offer. Guess my promotional pricing from when I signed up ran out. All I watch is the premium channels, food network, and sports, wish they could just get rid of the other 300 or so channels I don't watch and reduce my bill accordingly, wouldn't that be sweet?

Old 06-25-2013, 06:01 PM

87 posts, read 174,772 times
cable companies are a mofo but it would be hard doing without them for my house since I like my sports. I grew up without cable and just the ota channels with rabbit ears. We did just fine with that but I do like having cable, especially during basketball season. When we were trying to find a house, we stayed with my sister in law for a few months and all they had was netflix. It got old pretty quick. Netflix only would be a no go at my house. To me it didnt take long to feel like I had already seen everything of interest on there and I felt disconnected from current events not being able to catch the news every once in a while. With two small boys I don't have time to sit around on the internet reading news articles. With the exception of not getting all the basketball games I could live with my rabbit ears in hd and netflix. The internet alone is pretty damn expensive.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:12 PM

13 posts, read 24,302 times
I call Uverse about every 6 months and act like my wife got laid off and we are looking for ways to save.

The last time I called they bundled my U200 package with the Internet and knocked 75 bucks off the bill for 1 year.

So if you ask what kind of deals they have and they might lower the cost or throw in HBO for 3 months for free.

It is a tap dance that you shouldn't have to do but it works...

Old 06-25-2013, 07:24 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeAtMe View Post
I recently found out about Amazon Instant video, its kind of their version of Netflix and I am actually liking it better.

You get the instant video with your Amazon prime membership which is $79 a year or $6.58/mo and with Amazon prime you get free 2 day shipping on most items and 1 day shipping for $3.99 iirc. If you shop on amazon a lot like me the membership pays for itself in shipping costs alone in 2 or 3 months.

Wish I could get my cable bill down, Comcast just increased me from $220 to $300/mo for the triple play with the highest speed internet the offer. Guess my promotional pricing from when I signed up ran out. All I watch is the premium channels, food network, and sports, wish they could just get rid of the other 300 or so channels I don't watch and reduce my bill accordingly, wouldn't that be sweet?
Comcast sucks. Paying $300/month is insane. I hate that cable companies act as if HDTV was so new that they still charge a premium for it. HD channels are offered on the air free and have been for years. It is not 2002!!

Old 06-25-2013, 08:01 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum731 View Post
I call Uverse about every 6 months and act like my wife got laid off and we are looking for ways to save.

The last time I called they bundled my U200 package with the Internet and knocked 75 bucks off the bill for 1 year.

So if you ask what kind of deals they have and they might lower the cost or throw in HBO for 3 months for free.

It is a tap dance that you shouldn't have to do but it works...
Second that. Very few companies will voluntarily pass deals and discounts on to customers. You have to badger them and pretend like you are going to leave. It's the first-world version of haggling at the bazaar. The retail electric providers are the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston