Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 09:52 AM

339 posts, read 764,592 times

Advertisements

Thinking about doing this for our garage...how easy is it to do it by myself vs. getting it professionally done? is the money saved doing it by myself not worth the hassle?

I just saw on their website that home depot does installations as well. or are local houston vendors the way to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 10:03 AM

237 posts, read 648,392 times
First things first....DO NOT BUY THE GARAGE FLOOR PAINT FROM HOME DEPOT, (Rustoleum, and others) ETC!!! It will look nice at first but will eventually peel up. I've done this before!

When we moved into our home almost 2 years ago, brother in law and I put ours down one night. It is a fairly easy process if you follow the directions. Biggest step is prepping the floor before application.

I would suggest using Epoxy Paint For Garage Floors – Epoxy-Coat.com This stuff is amazing! Once put down it becomes the concrete floor basically....I haven't had any of it even try to come up off of the floor! The best thing is that you can actually order it through Lowes. This is what I did using a Lowes giftcard. Call the 1800 # for Epoxy Coat and they will tell you how to do this when you go to the store. You get basically everything you need in the kit. The only thing you would need to add is some spike shoes if you are going to put flecks down on top of the paint...really helps once you have applied the paint.

One other word of caution.....I would make sure that when you do decide to apply it, that you try to do it on a cool night, or wait until this fall. When it is warm, it dries a little quicker when putting down, but if you have someone helping it is doable.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:23 AM

339 posts, read 764,592 times
thanks for the response. very informative. My biggest problem is going to find someone else to help me do it. will look up the epoxy coat stuff you mentioned. thanks again!

Old 06-28-2013, 11:14 AM

237 posts, read 648,392 times
One person can do it, if small garage, but mine was a 3 car garage, so the other person helped. If just two car you could do it yourself. With two of us, one would mix the epoxy/paint and the other would spread it out.

Check out Garage Journal, it is where I first learned about it, and they have a ton of posts on the site about it and other garage floor paints.

The Garage Journal Board - Powered by vBulletin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston