Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 12:22 PM

99 posts, read 223,861 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are likely relocating to Houston. I would work at AIG (north Montrose area?) and she would work downtown, a couple blocks west of Minute Maid Park.

We're driving from San Antonio this weekend to check things out, consider places to live, and get a general feel for the area. Where should we go this weekend to see what we'd be getting in to? For traffic reasons we'd want to live close to work, so I'm thinking the bounded area in the map I attached is the best place to look. Is that true, or should I expand to other areas?

I love modern architecture and walkable areas, and love the idea of Midtown. My wife, however, is much more traditional, and greatly prefers what I'd call a cookie-cutter style and a large yard. Is there somewhere we can check out that is a blend of both?

Some relevant facts:
  • Our home price range is ~$800K.
  • No kids
  • Both early 30's
  • We don't go out much, but are looking to change that
  • She doesn't like "old" homes, so the charming bungalow styles are probably a no-go.
  • We love trees and nature, but coming from SA, I understand the limitations in TX.
Attached Thumbnails
Seeing Midtown/Downtown/Montrose in 1-2 days-houston.gif  

Last edited by CoachBForThree; 07-01-2013 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: Adding age/lifestyle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 12:36 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,185 times
I would expand you search to the Heights area as well. Just north of I-10

You can find some nice homes in the Montrose area in that price range - lot's of trees.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:36 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBForThree View Post
My wife and I are likely relocating to Houston. I would work at AIG (north Montrose area?) and she would work downtown, a couple blocks west of Minute Maid Park.

We're driving from San Antonio this weekend to check things out, consider places to live, and get a general feel for the area. Where should we go this weekend to see what we'd be getting in to? For traffic reasons we'd want to live close to work, so I'm thinking the bounded area in the map I attached is the best place to look. Is that true, or should I expand to other areas?

I love modern architecture and walkable areas, and love the idea of Midtown. My wife, however, is much more traditional, and greatly prefers what I'd call a cookie-cutter style and a large yard. Is there somewhere we can check out that is a blend of both?

Some relevant facts:
  • Our home price range is ~$800K.
  • No kids
  • She doesn't like "old" homes, so the charming bungalow styles are probably a no-go.
  • We love trees and nature, but coming from SA, I understand the limitations in TX.
Cookie cutter and large yard= suburbs.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:48 PM

785 posts, read 1,234,207 times
Check out the homes in the Museum District (the area south of 59, west of 288, and north of Hermann Park). It's walkable (and has bike share stations), plenty of arts and museums around, and the homes have enough yard to keep your wife happy. It sounds perfect for you guys.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:00 PM

785 posts, read 1,234,207 times
This article also has a great description of what the Museum District is like (scroll down near the bottom):

25 Hottest Neighborhoods (Page 2) | Houstonia Magazine

Old 07-01-2013, 01:09 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,693,345 times

That is a basic layout of the good areas of Houston. That line is pretty good for my artistic ability.

Last edited by Schumacher713; 07-01-2013 at 01:23 PM..

Old 07-01-2013, 01:15 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,693,345 times
For 800K I would shop in the Heights, Garden Oaks, and Montrose if you want to be close to downtown and AIG. I live right in that area. There is no better location in Houston. Everything is 10 minutes from my house. You never really need to leave the loop. 800K does not go that far for a new build unless you want a townhouse. You can find some nice remodels in that range though. If you want a large yard Garden Oaks/Oak Forest is your only option for that price range. Midtown is all townhouse. No yards at all.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:18 PM

148 posts, read 403,002 times
If your wife likes newer houses with a yard check out zip code 77025 and the surrounding north areas that are near West U. Lots of big mature trees in this area. This neighborhood and surrounding areas were adn still are old ranch houses that are being tore down and the big mcmansions are being built around your price range.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:21 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,262,881 times
Default Midtown/Montrose

I'd stay in the Midtown/Montrose area (technically Montrose, but some realtors a long time ago decided Midtown sounded better) to be close to work, but also leisure activities. As Schumacher713 pointed out, the Montrose area is close to everything, and depending where in Montrose, you could walk, or ride a bike to work at AIG if you are into that, even into downtown via the trails.

The next best location would be the Heights, but there are a lot of bungalows. Good luck, and welcome to Houston.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:51 PM

99 posts, read 223,861 times
Thank you!! This is incredibly good and useful info, I'll use this to map out where to go this weekend. I'm pretty sure I'll have time to check out every area that's been mentioned.

Thank you all very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston