Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 06:31 PM

56 posts, read 71,614 times

Advertisements

After looking around a little bit, it seems as if your work commute should be a huge factor in where you choose to live in Houston. I will be working in the Seabrook area but really want to live in Katy. Is the commute really going to be that bad? I'll be moving from Denver (where I'm convinced half of the people don't even have drivers licenses) so I'm kind of used to dealing with stupid amounts of traffic, terrible highway layouts, terrible drivers (during the summer also) who love to "Colorado" you, and 10 mile commutes taking 45 minutes.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 06:34 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,135,442 times
Let me be the first to respond: Oh hell no! DON"T DO IT!!!! Google maps has that commute at an hour - and that's with no traffic, and I would personally add a lot of time to that. From where I live to where Hubby works downtown says it's 32 minutes. Yeah, I can get there in 32 minutes if I'm going at 2pm with no traffic and I drive 80+ miles an hour. Takes me more like 45 minutes on a normal day (not in rush hour).

Yeah - horrible commute. What are the things that make you want to live in Katy? Clear Lake would be MUCH better area for you to live in, and is a fantastic area with great schools (if you need them) and great communities.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:41 PM

682 posts, read 1,941,010 times
I used to work with some people in Webster (not far from Seabrook) that lived in Katy. On a good day, with normal 8-5 hours they would spend 3-4 hours a day just in traveling. There were several occasions where it took them 2-3 hours just to get home in the evenings.

I would definitely look closer to Seabrook.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:49 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschreck View Post
After looking around a little bit, it seems as if your work commute should be a huge factor in where you choose to live in Houston. I will be working in the Seabrook area but really want to live in Katy. Is the commute really going to be that bad?
Yeah. No doubt it will be.

I guess you can stay on the Beltway for most of the ride, but there's nothing wrong with living a few minutes from work. I live on the road from Seabrook in La Porte and work in Deer Park for now.

You would have hated life quite a bit if you had been here when that big rig went over the interchange a couple of weeks back. HWY 225, your easy way to the Beltway, was block off for a day and then some. I missed it, because I made my lab sample run earlier, but many were stuck in that for several hours before being led off to the the feeder.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:51 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,568,330 times
That is like 30+ miles I would say 45min no traffic add 30min to 1hr with traffic or road construction I would never drive it in traffic no way

Old 07-06-2013, 06:54 PM

967 posts, read 2,608,890 times
As one who lives in Katy (and likes it) I have to wonder WHY you would do that to yourself????

Check Clear Lake or Friendswood, etc... Whatever is pulling you to Katy you can likely find in a suburb on the South Side of town. Not to mention, you would never get to enjoy Katy... Spending so much free time on your commute.

1 hour? Maybe rarely on a very light day. My kids sometimes go to camp in Seabrook. Picking them up/dropping them off a few times a year is one thing, I cannot imagine it as a daily commute (and I like driving!)

Please do yourself a favor and consider living on the south side of town. Give yourself the gift of a reasonable commute, so you can enjoy your spare time. As much as I enjoy living in Katy, I can only see you regretting it if your daily commute is to Seabrook.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:50 PM

56 posts, read 71,614 times
You guys are awesome. I appreciate the help.

We were thinking about Clear Lake and Pearland also. I guess I should do some more research.

As for schools, no kids yet but we are looking for a permanent place to live so that is definitely a factor. I said Katy mainly because of results of my housing search. Of course I have only used Trulia and Zillow to do my searching.

Our move is planned for June of next year. We plan on visiting Houston in August. Are there any areas to avoid in eastern Houston? Housing budget is around $200,000.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:55 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,561,696 times
If you're looking for that Katy feel, try Pearland. It's endless new and shiny. Clear Lake City is built out, but there are lots of new neighborhoods in League City and south. I Really don't see where Katy would be that much of a draw to justify an at least 1.5 hour commute (using the I-10 toll lanes). No sir, you may buy a house in Katy but you'd never see it.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:02 PM

967 posts, read 2,608,890 times
Use HAR (Houston Association of Realtors), Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors - HAR.com for a more accurate housing search.

Prior to moving to Katy, my husband worked in Pasadena and we considered moving close to there. Clear Lake/ League City were the #1 recommendation by his coworkers.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:07 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,190,508 times
I like Katy. Love it. And this like it would be the commute from hell to Seabrook. Friendswood, Clear Lake, Seabrook itself, etc. would be much better choices. You don't want to live in your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston