Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 03:45 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,992 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't let it chase me out of my home that I loved. What I would do is to find other outlets and friends within the outer realm of the snob society. Being in a neighborhood doesn't mean that you have to play by their rules. Find other friends in other areas and make playdates. The higher classed person is the one who can "overlook" the snobs and live life around them. Go on about your business in your neighborhood and pay no attention to the snobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 03:59 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
I am considering moving back to Houston and I hope the city does not change for the worse with all these idiots from California and other states bringing this stupid materialistic-suburban-Orange County BS lifestyle.The main problem with society today is that everything is a LIE, most of the people you describe, I guarantee you their lives, careers and relationships amount to nothing but a big LIE. I could be making 5 million/year, I will still drive my F-150 and if you don't like it, you can kiss my a**. You are right, most of these people are very stupid. Houston has never been about this kind of BS. I hope it does not change for worse.
Some of them could be idiots from Minnesota...you never know.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:55 PM

50 posts, read 62,816 times
I have a maid, yard guy, full time job, 2 year old, and a husband working on his masters....NO WAY i could survive w/out help.

I am truly sorry some people with money act like children. I am sure they are deeply in debt and their kids have little to no college fund!

Old 11-11-2007, 09:08 PM

809 posts, read 2,409,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
This is Houston and Texas. The sprawl will continue because we still have the growing room. Oil, gas and your vehicle will always be the kings here. Freeways will get more crowded and the inner city air will get dirtier than it already is. People who are fed up with what makes Houston ''Houston'' will live downtown only until they outgrow their space, and when their kids need to go to school and have a backyard to play in. The non-rich who can't afford private school will sell out to move to a larger place in a good school district. The inner city is not middle-class-child-friendly and it either has a long way to go or will never be that way. Or perhaps some people just care about themselves and not anything about their (future) kids. But who am I to say?

And what about reverse snobbery? Some people got the brown end of the snob stick forcefully waved in their faces while they were minding their own business!
Come on now, I'd imagine most of these lofts and condos are for young people. Nothing wrong with being fresh out of school and wanting to live downtown!

It's far harder meeting people in the suburbs. Not everyone just goes for the yard and 2 car garage immediatly out of the gate!

Old 11-12-2007, 12:13 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
This is Houston and Texas. The sprawl will continue because we still have the growing room. Oil, gas and your vehicle will always be the kings here. Freeways will get more crowded and the inner city air will get dirtier than it already is. People who are fed up with what makes Houston ''Houston'' will live downtown only until they outgrow their space, and when their kids need to go to school and have a backyard to play in. The non-rich who can't afford private school will sell out to move to a larger place in a good school district. The inner city is not middle-class-child-friendly and it either has a long way to go or will never be that way. Or perhaps some people just care about themselves and not anything about their (future) kids. But who am I to say?

And what about reverse snobbery? Some people got the brown end of the snob stick forcefully waved in their faces while they were minding their own business!
Thank god Houston's singles, young couples and empty nesters do finally have an option instead of mega sprawlsville. As we are seeing, inner city growth is happening in Houston not only for lofts for singles but beautiful old world charm single family homes inside the loop for all. Inner city Houston air will get dirtier? It's looking like suburban air is getting even dirtier with more cars and clogged endless freeways and more complainers of horrendous traffic.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:16 AM

33 posts, read 125,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post

...What we have noticed is the materialism and judgmental nature of many of the people here—especially the young families with children. My wife stays at home with our young children and has basically been excluded from neighborhood playgroups and other activities because she doesn’t prescribe to the “keeping up with the housewife nextdoor” mantra. We do have many friends from other sources outside the neighborhood but it’s been frustrating for her because it sure would be nice to have neighbors who share our same values. Also, most of the children in the neighborhood attend private school which is disappointing for our kids who do and will attend public. This has gotten bad enough that we are actually considering moving into a less exclusive neighborhood where we fit in more.

Note that we are happy with our home and the location. I just want to know if this is a silly reason to move. Is it even possible to escape the “suburban snobbery”?
Are you a member of the local Southern Baptist or Methodist Church? If you want in in Houston suburb land, you need to be a trashy churchy and develop an attitude problems towards those without money and non-republicans. Then you'll fit in just great!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 08:38 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsd247 View Post
Are you a member of the local Southern Baptist or Methodist Church? If you want in in Houston suburb land, you need to be a trashy churchy and develop an attitude problems towards those without money and non-republicans. Then you'll fit in just great!!!

That must've been some good ****. What cloud are you riding on today? That has to be one of the most inaccurate things I've seen on this board as of late.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:48 AM

33 posts, read 125,649 times
Wanna know what is funny tstone? I wish I were wrong. But I am not.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:52 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsd247 View Post
Wanna know what is funny tstone? I wish I were wrong. But I am not.

You're correct about a certain subset of suburban people. The ones who are not in this subset, you have almost insulted.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:41 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
bump. how bout some more of that texan charm and what it really means when your neighbor is 'nice' and 'friendly' to the transplants

I do my own lawn because i'm just the DIY'er. I don't think too much of my neighbors if they hire the illegals/mexicans (although their equipment is loud as a race engine). the single mom homeowner gets her lawn done understandably. the playas cant be seen doing yard work. some folks dont have time to understand these quite silly sensitive grass (firkin thing just dies. my best patch is the one i dont water/feed doh). some 'wiser' folks dont want any fuels in the house (i have race fuel sometimes and i'm a smoker so that bugs me sometimes. and its hot in houston) and they dont have to sacrifice a whole portion of their garage for storing lawn equipment. i say they do have good points
theres always a simple explanation why people do what they do. and its probably nothing to do with you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston