Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 07:18 PM
LGK

1 posts, read 2,686 times

Advertisements

Alchemist, We are in the same situation. We have lived in the Woodlands for 12 years and now our kids are in College and Royal Oaks is 5 min. from my husbands work. He is tired of the commute and I don't blame him but I also wonder about the crime in the area. We are also looking at Lakes of Parkway but not sure which place is safer. What did you find out about the builders. We are not sure if we should buy used or build. Any suggestions will help

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 07:56 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Why do you feel you need to be inside a wall? Response times,saftey,QOL in 77024 or 77079, by Royal Oaks,have a better reputation.Lived in the woodlands, but a native HOUSTONIAN.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:00 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,029,743 times
OMG Royal Oaks/surrounding areas is NOT bad. In fact, it is probably one of the most desired places to live in now (Westchase/Energy Corridor) area.

Don't be scared people, jeez.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:04 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
OMG Royal Oaks/surrounding areas is NOT bad. In fact, it is probably one of the most desired places to live in now (Westchase/Energy Corridor) area.

Alief is NOT desired. Royal Oaks has a wall for a reason. 2 miles north or 3 mles NE is a different story. You arent from Houston are you?

Old 09-15-2012, 08:15 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post

Exactly. I can't believe anyone would be afraid of Royal Oaks and the surrounding area. It's actually really nice.

Some people need to get out of their bubble more often especially if they think Westchase is as scary.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:19 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Alief is NOT desired. Royal Oaks has a wall for a reason. 2 miles north or 3 mles NE is a different story. You arent from Houston are you?
For the people paying millions of dollars to live there I'd say it's highly desirable. Especially since they could probably afford to live anywhere in the city but chose to live there.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:23 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times
Last but not least--Windsor Park Lakes is really nice, but very far out of town ( traffic is shear H*LL)--is the builder good?/ Heard of any problems or "issues" within that area?? ( Like I know crime is really creeping up on the highway 6 area---would this area be affected much??)

Windsor Park Lakes is nice but reeeally far out and traffic is hell but what would never have me living there is the lots. I'm not a fan of live on the lake types BUT those houses are so damn close together it's a trip.

WAAAAY too much money for literal 2 cans and a string. And on a lake too? Geez. You don't have to be acres away from your neighbors but damn. And no detach so cars in the driveway, close together, congestion central on the lake.

I just love the look of the houses. Stucco with the Mediterranean roofs is so pretty. But not to where if being crude I could open a window, spit some gum out and it hit my neighbor's window and house because I'm THAT close to them and I'm paying a lot of dough. It's pretty much a cookie cutter track housing neighborhood.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:47 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,029,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Please, I am from Houston & am smart enough to know that Royal Oaks is in a 'nicer part' of town, plus its not like the Royal Oaks residents are hanging out in Bellaire or in 'Alief proper' mind you. I am amazed at how some people are still overly concerned about crime and how they think black/brown folks are tryin' to go out of their way to rob/hurt them. It's not like it's Sunnyside Houston (which even has nice areas, shocking no?) or even Detroit. The world doesn't revolve around you. SMH.

PS-yes I am black & had to get that off my chest..

Carry on.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:53 AM

569 posts, read 1,078,866 times
Alchemist, if your husband is wanting to cut his commute to downtown, moving from the Woodlands to Royal Oaks or even out in Lakes of Parkway is not going to make that commute any better IMO. Of the neighborhoods you mentioned, Rice Military is best bet for commute. Preferably live as close to Memorial Drive (and south of Washington Ave) as you can afford. As far as safety goes, just make sure your home has a garage large enough for your vehicles. If a vehicle is parked outside, it is subject to get broken into, especially if something is left in the vehicle that is visible to a bystander. Otherwise you should not have any problems. Inner loop off Shepherd/W Gray will always be an area that appreciates in value. Seriously consider that as well. Not familiar with Camp Logan. If you HAVE to be on the west side of town, I'd pick Lakes of Parkway over Royal Oaks any day (north of Westheimer is more desirable, period.). Best wishes on your search.

Last edited by HTownNearNative; 09-16-2012 at 01:22 AM..

Old 09-16-2012, 12:49 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
I agree with the others that Royal Oaks is fine... on location, technically it's probably as much or more Westchase as it is Alief. There are some crummy apartments around Bissonnet in Alief and also on Hayes Rd in Westchase, I'd just stay away from those areas. We go periodically into the western edges of Alief because there are some really good ethnic food places... Central American, lots of genres of Asian, etc. We're Caucasian by the way. Probably wouldn't go later at night though, just out of precaution because I know there are definitely some crime issues in parts because of all the apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston