Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 09:42 PM

175 posts, read 367,479 times

Advertisements

Anyone had any experience with these? If not, how do you control mosquitos in your back yard? My 4yo son is extremely susceptible to bites. Poor guy is covered right now. Would be willing to shell out a grand or two for something that works. Considering we have mosquitos in Houston nearly year-round, it might be worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 02:31 PM

292 posts, read 547,818 times
We use those propane powered mosquito magnets and they work great. Several years ago I was looking for a solution and came across an article which described how the US Army used these mosquito magnets to control he mosquito population on their base in Cuba and thought to myself if it worked for the military, then its good enough for me.. Turns out it works really well.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:37 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangster View Post
We use those propane powered mosquito magnets and they work great. Several years ago I was looking for a solution and came across an article which described how the US Army used these mosquito magnets to control he mosquito population on their base in Cuba and thought to myself if it worked for the military, then its good enough for me.. Turns out it works really well.
I had one of those for a while, and it seemed to cost me around $5 per mosquito. After a couple of years, I sold it. Right now, I spray cutter, but I plan to get a misting system.

Before buying a "magnet", do a lot of reading. Either myself and a whole lot of people don't know how to use those propane mosquito traps, or they aren't worth much at all.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:04 AM

101 posts, read 307,215 times
We have a misting system and it works well when it does. It was already installed when we bought the house 3 years ago. I had to spend some money to get it up and running, but its been working well this year so far. I think a neighbor had a system installed 1-2 years back and it cost about $2500.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:05 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,061 times
We've had ours for about 1 1/2 years now and it's a Godsend. We didn't buy it originally for mosquito's (although they were starting to swarm around a bit when we had our system installed), but to control the water bug infestation we had when we first moved in. We were the only house off the lake for at least two lots on either side, and these pests were carpeting our eaves, porch and entry in the front. Guests couldn't come in through the front door because they would create a frenzy anytime someone came through the front. They don't bite, but they are horribly loud once they get into your home. They make a loud chirping sound similar to crickets, but more high pitched...the worst thing about it is that they only do this AT NIGHT! I lost quite a few nights of sleep. They bred mostly in the mulch areas of our landscaping. Thousands upon thousands of them. We tried using liquid insecticides, mosquito dunks, foggers and powder based insecticides. None of them worked. Our pest control guys told us on several occasions that there's nothing they can do to get rid of them because they are airborne.

Anyways, we finally settled on having a misting system installed. Was a bit nerve wracking because it was our last resort and it was the most expensive option. But, after we had our misting system installed, we noticed that half of the bugs were gone in the first 3-5 days, but not all of them. After another 10 days or so they were completely gone. Nothing. A few swarms would appear here and there, but they don't last after the next misting. We mist 3 times daily in the summer. I tell this to everyone, it has been the best investment we have made for our home since we moved in.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:24 AM

340 posts, read 802,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
We've had ours for about 1 1/2 years now and it's a Godsend. We didn't buy it originally for mosquito's (although they were starting to swarm around a bit when we had our system installed), but to control the water bug infestation we had when we first moved in. We were the only house off the lake for at least two lots on either side, and these pests were carpeting our eaves, porch and entry in the front. Guests couldn't come in through the front door because they would create a frenzy anytime someone came through the front. They don't bite, but they are horribly loud once they get into your home. They make a loud chirping sound similar to crickets, but more high pitched...the worst thing about it is that they only do this AT NIGHT! I lost quite a few nights of sleep. They bred mostly in the mulch areas of our landscaping. Thousands upon thousands of them. We tried using liquid insecticides, mosquito dunks, foggers and powder based insecticides. None of them worked. Our pest control guys told us on several occasions that there's nothing they can do to get rid of them because they are airborne.

Anyways, we finally settled on having a misting system installed. Was a bit nerve wracking because it was our last resort and it was the most expensive option. But, after we had our misting system installed, we noticed that half of the bugs were gone in the first 3-5 days, but not all of them. After another 10 days or so they were completely gone. Nothing. A few swarms would appear here and there, but they don't last after the next misting. We mist 3 times daily in the summer. I tell this to everyone, it has been the best investment we have made for our home since we moved in.
Care to share the Brand or installer of your system and the price it ended up being?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:30 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,017 times
My sister and a buddy have one. They say it works very well. I don't have bad mosquitos in my yard. For my next house I am putting one in.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trele6 View Post
Care to share the Brand or installer of your system and the price it ended up being?
Sure thing. The overall pricing for the base configuration (which is what we have), should come in a little under 2k. We used Houston Mosquito Control Systems based on two friends who have this installed to their homes.

Houston Mosquito Control Systems

Old 07-16-2013, 11:49 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,813 times
Misting systems also kill beneficial insects and are toxic to fish, so if you must have one, be sure to use it minimally and follow suggested guidelines. And ensure that no overspray enters your neighbor's yard. I have a rather large garden devoted to plants that attract butterflies and hummingbirds and am diligent about not using pesticides in my back yard.

Outdoor residential misting systems (including mosquito misting systems) | Fact Sheets | About Pesticides | Pesticides | US EPA

Old 07-16-2013, 11:59 AM

70 posts, read 230,677 times
We have a major mosquito problem as well being near the creeks and parks near the belt. I keep thinking about these but came upon these concerns listed here (Position on Misting Systems) and here (Outdoor residential misting systems (including mosquito misting systems) | Fact Sheets | About Pesticides | Pesticides | US EPA). The key points are -

1. It is unnecessary pesticide release into the environment. Nothing against pesticides but is it targeted and efficient ?
2. It kills the "good" bugs.
3. It increases the risk of unnecessary exposure for kids and pets.

As someone who is happy with this system, what is your point of view on these points ? Thank You.

BTW..one of the best options is a fan though having the coverage all over the lawn is not viable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston