Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 03:32 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post

There are only 2 decent Town Centers in Houston suburbia. The Woodlands and Sugar Land. That's it.
Katy's La Centerra looks just like those two. At least to me they do.
I thought Kingwood built one too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 03:43 PM

785 posts, read 1,234,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Katy's La Centerra looks just like those two. At least to me they do.
I thought Kingwood built one too.
Kingwood does have a Town Center but I don't think it's anything like the Woodlands or Sugar Land.

Kingwood Town Center Kingwood

Last edited by crono_clone; 07-15-2013 at 04:41 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 04:35 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,019,230 times
The Katy and Pearland ones resemble to some degree the Woodlands and Sugar Land TCs layout, but the retail and especially restaurants are severely lacking in comparison. I'm not familiar with the Kingwood one.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:50 AM

111 posts, read 218,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxsMom View Post
I guess it looks like Sugar Land, unless I get any more suggestions. The Pearland Town Center seemed nice, but just lacking some upscale shops and especially restaurants. I cannot believe how Houston has such a lack of Whole Foods, Central Market, etc. There is ONE Central Market in Houston.. ONE! Within a mile or two of me, I have Central Market, Whole Foods, Natural Grocers, Sprouts, and Trader Joe's. Insanity! It's just like the never-ending stream of houses. I never thought we would end up in the suburbs, but it is our only option in Houston. Total defeat. Housing is definitely more expensive in the H!
We are relocating from Allen and are in the same boat as you. We had no intentions of moving and just purchased a new home this year. My husband just could not pass up this job offer here.

No Whole Foods, etc. Is killing me!!! I am so used to having everything around us and it is hard to find that here.

Our number one priority is schools. So far the only thing I have found that meets or exceeds our schools in Allen is Friendswood isd but there are so few housing options there. Shopping is the pits there. Food is excellent if you are big on fresh seafood but that is about it.

We visited Pearland yesterday looking at several subdivisions and one visit was enough to cross that off. Everyone said how great the Town Center was. I was expecting a large Town Center.

Housing is definitely higher here. We started looking in the 300-400k range thinking that would get us a really nice house. To get what is comparable to our Allen home we have now had to increase our search to the 500-700k range. So there goes hubbies boat for a while!!!

I have family that lives in Sugar land so we looked there but they all told us the public schools were not good. I haven't researched them anymore after that. This is coming from family that has lived there since they were kids and now have their children in private schools there.

I really liked the Galleria area but with 3 young kids we cannot squeeze into a tiny home to fit in our budget so that is out. I loved the trees in Woodlands but was not impressed with the schools at all. I thought I would like Katy but didn't. It seemed so far out from everything. We considered Clear Creek isd because it is good but have yet to find an area we like in it. Parts of the Bay Oaks subdivision was nice but other parts not. Still nothing good around for shopping, etc.

I definitely feel like we have been spoiled living in Dallas. We had great schools, shopping, restaurants, night life, etc. all close to us. Now we are just trying to decide on what we are willing to sacrifice on. My husband starts his job next week and we have no idea where we really want to live!!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:05 AM

107 posts, read 161,493 times
Bay Oaks is that million $ neighborhood isn't it? And some parts aren't nice? Jeez. I think some of you need to tone down the typical Dallas snob factor before coming down here. Just thinking "out loud". Peace.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:35 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,019,230 times
abbybaby, I'm not sure where in Sugar Land your family lives (there are parts with less desirable schools) but check the homes zoned to Clements High. Clements itself is hyper competitive and there are parents that wouldn't want our kids going there (myself included) but it's feeder schools are universally awesome.

The Clements zoned homes are also closest to Sugar Land's best retail.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:51 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbybaby View Post
We are relocating from Allen and are in the same boat as you. We had no intentions of moving and just purchased a new home this year. My husband just could not pass up this job offer here.

No Whole Foods, etc. Is killing me!!! I am so used to having everything around us and it is hard to find that here.

Our number one priority is schools. So far the only thing I have found that meets or exceeds our schools in Allen is Friendswood isd but there are so few housing options there. Shopping is the pits there. Food is excellent if you are big on fresh seafood but that is about it.

We visited Pearland yesterday looking at several subdivisions and one visit was enough to cross that off. Everyone said how great the Town Center was. I was expecting a large Town Center.

Housing is definitely higher here. We started looking in the 300-400k range thinking that would get us a really nice house. To get what is comparable to our Allen home we have now had to increase our search to the 500-700k range. So there goes hubbies boat for a while!!!

I have family that lives in Sugar land so we looked there but they all told us the public schools were not good. I haven't researched them anymore after that. This is coming from family that has lived there since they were kids and now have their children in private schools there.

I really liked the Galleria area but with 3 young kids we cannot squeeze into a tiny home to fit in our budget so that is out. I loved the trees in Woodlands but was not impressed with the schools at all. I thought I would like Katy but didn't. It seemed so far out from everything. We considered Clear Creek isd because it is good but have yet to find an area we like in it. Parts of the Bay Oaks subdivision was nice but other parts not. Still nothing good around for shopping, etc.

I definitely feel like we have been spoiled living in Dallas. We had great schools, shopping, restaurants, night life, etc. all close to us. Now we are just trying to decide on what we are willing to sacrifice on. My husband starts his job next week and we have no idea where we really want to live!!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:59 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
That's funny. Allen, Texas? Talk about bland...

Old 07-16-2013, 08:15 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
abbybaby, I'm not sure where in Sugar Land your family lives (there are parts with less desirable schools) but check the homes zoned to Clements High. Clements itself is hyper competitive and there are parents that wouldn't want our kids going there (myself included) but it's feeder schools are universally awesome.

The Clements zoned homes are also closest to Sugar Land's best retail.
I agree. My kids are zoned to Clements feeder schools (Commonwealth Elem and Ft Settlement Middle) and the schools are awesome. And I am from the east coast, where the schools really are awesome.

Plus, we really do have all the shopping in Sugar Land I, a stay at home mom of 3, need. Except for that darn Trader Joe's.

I think some of you are being pretty unrealistic.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:44 AM

568 posts, read 1,129,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post

I think some of you are being pretty unrealistic.
Exactly! I read some of the post and just smh. Allen, TX??? Really?? I mean she has cleared half of Houston off her list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston