Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 05:11 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,655,321 times

Advertisements

I bought last march. The home across the street from me was also for sale. It has a pool the one I bought does not. The home across the street is was initially offered 163K. It sat for a few months and they dropped it to 149,900. The home sold and there was a flurry of activity. 6 weeks after what looked like completion of the renovations the home is "pending" after being listed at 229,900. 75$ per square foot. I doubt they put more than 20k into it.

Still a lot of bang for the buck off of Cypresswood. Just check the flood maps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 07:50 AM

222 posts, read 450,857 times
Still looking at this area but looks like prices are creeping up. Should I get into something now? will the Exxon campus bring prices in this area up?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:17 AM

24,011 posts, read 15,106,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
Still looking at this area but looks like prices are creeping up. Should I get into something now? will the Exxon campus bring prices in this area up?
It already has. When we were looking in December there was very little on the market. Prices are up in Champions.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:07 AM

Ive noticed that just over the last year. Do you think it will go up significantly more in the next few years?

Old 01-15-2014, 12:11 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,640,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
Ive noticed that just over the last year. Do you think it will go up significantly more in the next few years?
My personal opinion is that you will see a continual upward creep of home prices in Houston (above inflation). I also believe areas like Champions will rebound over the next couple of years. Remember that this area used to be one of the premiere middle class areas on the north side of Houston for a couple decades.

If you like the area, and are home-schooling, it would be tough to be much more house for your money.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:21 PM

27 posts, read 47,450 times
You guys should google "the whole foods effect". It shows how real estate surrounding that grocery store benefits. I mention that because of the whole foods that will open soon on Louetta.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:59 PM

Thanks guys I may go take a look at some fixer uppers in that area this weekend.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:02 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,986,845 times
I grow up here and my parents still lived around here. However, it was surreal how fast the neighborhood change. Now, there are only 3 houses with the same people that are still here when my parents move in. It is like overnight every white family with kids move out like there is a plague.

Yes, there is lot of nice houses here and you will get most bang for your buck. For me though, I wouldn't buy a house on the south side of 1960. Anything past Veterans Memorial is even worse imo. A tell tell sign is drive up on TC Jester through Olde Oaks and see how many metal gates were installed in the driveway. It is like every other house have gates, which I assume is due to car theft problems.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:43 PM

I saw the gates on my last trek through olde oaks. Are there white people moving back in to the neighborhoods? Im looking specifically at Olde Oaks, Ponderosa forest, memorial NW if they meet my budget.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:06 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,640,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
I grow up here and my parents still lived around here. However, it was surreal how fast the neighborhood change. Now, there are only 3 houses with the same people that are still here when my parents move in. It is like overnight every white family with kids move out like there is a plague.

Yes, there is lot of nice houses here and you will get most bang for your buck. For me though, I wouldn't buy a house on the south side of 1960. Anything past Veterans Memorial is even worse imo. A tell tell sign is drive up on TC Jester through Olde Oaks and see how many metal gates were installed in the driveway. It is like every other house have gates, which I assume is due to car theft problems.
I moved out of Oak Creek Village (which actually connects to Olde Oaks) about 8 years ago. I don't remember seeing any security gates while I was living there (4 or 5 years). It's hard to believe it's changed that much. Well, so much for my opinion that it would rebound.

ipuck, do you believe the neighborhoods have gone down due to too many homes becoming rentals? I know that can kill a neighborhood, since rentals TEND to be maintained less and the yards typically aren't kept as nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston