Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 03:13 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times

Advertisements

Well, I just went to HCAD and saw that my old house appraised (by the county) is $30k less than what I sold it for and it took an $8k drop between 2012 and 2013. (lol, I also noticed that I lived there for 8 years, not 4 or 5).

My old house is also the second highest appraised on the street, and many of the others were larger than mine.

So sad that area has turned out this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 03:42 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Beg to differ on the gate. We had one for 15 years so the dog could be out with us while we worked in the garage or in the drive without wandering off. My neighbor put one in to confine the basketball.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:40 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Those gates are on some pretty high-end homes in Cinco. They are not the same as burglar bars (if you see burglar bars on homes in a neighborhood - run).

Olde Oaks has always just inched up less than other subdivisions in the area - but it is not going down. The gates are no indicator - some people like them for a variety of reasons. I had a client with two small twins that put them up to have an additional barrier for the little ones.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 01-15-2014 at 06:58 PM..

Old 01-15-2014, 07:06 PM

811 posts, read 1,556,752 times
Those gates in this area are more for decoration than anything and they give you more usable space that is contained. They are great for small children that want to ride their bikes on the driveway. We were going to put one up for the same reason as Crone but couldn't because of our neighbours narrow access along the side of their house to their back gate (and their wide hedges!).

Old 01-15-2014, 08:53 PM

702 posts, read 1,236,429 times
I forgot where I read it, but is the Whole Foods effect real? With Louetta/249 getting a Whole Foods soon, will it raise the property values in the surrounding area 10-20%? This is going to look good for this area of town you guys are discussing?

Old 01-15-2014, 09:31 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma281 View Post
I forgot where I read it, but is the Whole Foods effect real? With Louretta/249 getting a Whole Foods soon, will it raise the property values in the surrounding area 10-20%? This is going to look good for this area of town you guys are discussing?
Louretta/249 is miles away and total different neighborhood. Seems like quite a few people that use to live in the neighborhood discuss here have move up to Louretta and that new area call Vantage Park. They building a high end shopping center there and is quite nice btw.

I drive by the 1960 area daily and I also drive through TC Jester alot. I think part of the reason I assume those gates are for car theft is because i see ALOT of people walking around to Walmart and waiting for Metro. I am talking the kind of people that look like they are looking for trouble.

Olde Oaks is also zoned to Westfield HS, which was a problem 20 years ago and currently is bordeline jail house/HS.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:47 AM

222 posts, read 450,489 times
Is the HOA lenient in allowing things like gates/fences in the front yards in these neighborhoods? At my current location the HOA would never allow a gate to be installed in the front of the house.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:59 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
I like driveway gates and don't think they detract from a neighborhood. Done well, they add a mature, finished look to homes. We had one installed when we got a dog. Our HOA reviewed and approved the plans, the cost was around $7K. Not a low-end accessory at all.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:31 AM

264 posts, read 441,924 times
Those Northgate Forest homes are incredibly beautiful! And what a price point! These homes easily rival Memorial. So what has happened to this stretch of FM 1960? I know it looks nothing like it did 30 years ago. Very run down...but why? I use a contractor who lives in Huntwick...another beautiful community. He is very depressed about what is going on around him and the devaluation of homes in the area. I guess it catches me off guard that these beautiful neighborhoods cannot keep the area afloat. Too many apartments? What IS the deal?

Old 01-16-2014, 09:54 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXbywayof View Post
Those Northgate Forest homes are incredibly beautiful! And what a price point! These homes easily rival Memorial. So what has happened to this stretch of FM 1960? I know it looks nothing like it did 30 years ago. Very run down...but why? I use a contractor who lives in Huntwick...another beautiful community. He is very depressed about what is going on around him and the devaluation of homes in the area. I guess it catches me off guard that these beautiful neighborhoods cannot keep the area afloat. Too many apartments? What IS the deal?
I think too many apartments, yes. And then a lot of cheap starter homes that went in south of FM 1960.
This killed the schools (Spring ISD.) Olde Oaks used to be really nice, full of kids, and Westfield High was still pretty good 20+ years ago.

Northgate does seem to hold its value because there are enough physicians and wealthy energy execs that still buy or build in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston