Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2007, 09:06 AM

5 posts, read 18,453 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are trying to decide whether or not we should stay in the Houston area. I grew up in The Woodlands and he grew up in Missouri City (near Sugar Land) and we currently live in the Medical Center (Old Spanish Trail/Almeda area). We do not like living in this area, the traffic detracts from any of the conveniences of living here. Plus we have a two year old and I would like to move into a house so that she can have a yard to run around in. My husband will either be working at Hermann Memorial off Fannin or LBJ off 610 if we decide to stay here and he doesn't want to commute more than 30 minutes (he'll be a resident and will have to work 36 hour shifts so this is very important). We were thinking if we lived somewhere off 90 near the Sugar Land area, once the construction was complete, traffic wouldn't be that bad (we drive that route often when going to visit his parents). Either that or north Spring and he'd travel via the Hardy Toll Road.
We would most likely live in an apartment or rent a house initially so we can save up for a down payment on a house. I'd like to have a 2-3 bedroom with payments under $1000/month (so we can maximize our savings). Once we buy a house I'd like to pay under $110,000 if possible while still remaining in a desirable area with quick resale values. We will only be living there 4-5 years and do not want to have our house sit on the market too long. I realize our price range is going to make this a bit tough but I am a stay-at-home mom and we really want to live below our means so we can pay off our debts (student loans, etc). Plus we are going to send our daughter to private school and realize that can cost several hundred dollars a month. We do not want to live paycheck to paycheck, as college students we have lived our fair share of time that way and are ready to put that behind us.
So, I guess my question is are these two areas within our commute time and are we forgetting any other areas? (we've considered The Woodlands-too far). Also, are there homes/apartments in our price range? I know we can find a 2-3 bedroom house for $80-110,000 in The Woodlands so I assume we can some in other areas as well.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,079 times
Default Living in the Houston Area

Visit the Sugarland Arera. There are plenty homes and apartments there. There are good schools and three hospitals on 90A. Methodist, Herman Memorial and Oak Bend. Across the Brazos in the Richmond, Rosenberg area will find many new homes, friendly people and good child care. While all these have grown, you will still find a small town feeling. Lots of entertainment, churches and great places to eat. You will feel at home in Fort Bend County.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:19 PM

156 posts, read 610,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe532 View Post
Once we buy a house I'd like to pay under $110,000 if possible while still remaining in a desirable area with quick resale values. I know we can find a 2-3 bedroom house for $80-110,000 in The Woodlands so I assume we can some in other areas as well.
$110,000 sure doesn't go very far these days for housing, especially if you're looking for a "desirable area". Not sure where you can find a 3 bedroom home in The Woodlands for under $110,000 unless you're looking in the oldest parts of Cochran's Crossing, even then not sure if that is doable.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:24 PM

44 posts, read 163,054 times
I'm not sure what the name of the area is but if you go south on Stella Link just outside of loop 610 there are many homes on the west side of Stella Link between W. Belfort and Willowbend. My dad was looking to buy a house in 1997 and I toured several homes in that area. They were all built in the 50s but the area is well kept and very desirable. In fact, some people are doing demolitions and rebuilding new homes on the lots. A 50+ year old house (1400-2000 sq ft) in good condition will price around $135K in that area.

The intersection of Stella Link and W. Bellfort is kind of run down and thug like cause of the slum like apartments near it but the homes off of the main streets are gems. Access to the med center is just a 10 minute drive on 610 and up 288.

As energy prices keep surging the new construction in the boondocks like New Territory will crumble in value. Sienna Plantation has already gone bust. A friend of mine had an open house down there on a house in Commander's Point (the best area in that development) that will not sell even with a 40% reduction in price since it was listed 10 months ago. Sugarland is much more built up and has business and service centers near the homes but my money would still be on areas that are closer to the established parts of town.

If you go and drive down Willowbend going west from Stella Link as soon as you cross the rail road tracks you will see a house on the right that was built in 2001. This thing is about 3500 sq ft in my estimation. About 1/4 mile further down you will see another newly built home on the left that is gorgeous. I'd say buy in that general area and perhaps rebuild on your lot once you maximize your savings if you must have a bigger home as your family grows.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:30 AM

5 posts, read 18,453 times
Well, I am still wondering about north Houston (Spring area) but I'm glad to hear Sugar Land is doable, commute-wise. My sister-in-law bought a townhouse there last year for under $70k and it is in a great location so we may look in the neighborhoods around her. I know in The Woodlands I have found houses for sale on HAR in Panther Creek and Grogan's Mill for as little as $85k and they were in livable condition, just needed upgrades. There are always at least 2 pages worth of homes but The Woodlands is too far out for our family. My parents live there, that's the only reason I want to live on the north side of town.
I'm familiar with the Stella Link area, it's only a few blocks from where I live now. The neighborhood itself is nice but I don't like living in all this traffic. We've been here 3 years and have realized we just aren't meant for city living.
Honestly I'm hoping my husband gets transferred somewhere else so we can experience living in a smaller town and we can see if we like that better. Our entire family lives in the Houston area so we'll always have ties here but I am excited about trying something new, especially while our daughter is still so young. I know we'll go where we're meant to be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston