U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 04:15 PM

322 posts, read 676,631 times

Advertisements

We aren't from Houston (or Texas for that matter..) however our A/C drained into our master bathroom sink. It gurgled a lot so when we replaced our A/C unit, we asked the installer about it. He said it was a cheap builder shortcut and in Florida, where he was from, they drained it outside. So we asked if it was a problem for him to do that, he said no, and now it drains outside, alongside the overflow drains. (These are sticking out from under the eaves.)

Now that A/C season is well upon us, we have a bog. We probably have 15 gallons a day condensation water coming out that drain hose, straight to the earth beside our foundation. Lush green grass, but a true bog. We are concerned about our foundation in years to come.

Some questions.

1. How is it "normally" done in Houston for A/C condensation water to be drained?
2. Should we worry about our foundation?

A rain barrel is a great idea but this house will soon be a rental property and we cannot expect a tenant to manage the water in a rain barrel. We are thinking we'll simply need to ask them back to re-direct it back to the sink drains.

Our house is 12 years old and no problems in the foundation, so we certainly don't want to create a reason to have a foundation issue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 04:22 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,403,588 times
actually water is good for your foundation

Old 07-16-2013, 04:27 PM

292 posts, read 502,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
actually water is good for your foundation
Not if it is not evenly spread around the entire foundation or if its seasonal only such as in this AC scenario. Water is good for the foundation when its evenly across the foundation and is at constant. The idea is the maintain the same level of moisture around the soil and not have it go through dry/wet spells where the soil can expand and contract, causing the foundation to shift..

Old 07-16-2013, 05:32 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,722,576 times
you should have two drains for your AC. one is a primary and one is an overflow. your AC should NOT be dripping out of your overflow. I have no idea why they'd put the overflow into your sink. You are paying sewer fees for that. My overflow, neighbors, and my parents drips out of a pipe from the roof onto the side of our patio. The main drain is located near the external AC unit and should drip into a burried gravel bed and/or french drain at the side of your house.

15 gallons a day?! give your AC a break. if you aren't at home and dont have ill or suffering animals your home can be kept at 85. our AC is set at 79 when we are home and 82 while we are asleep. 85 when we are at work. when you are away from your home close your curtains and/or blinds to protect from the sun/heat. get some shade trees. even in the hot months our house rarely gets much over 80 inside. when you are home if 79 still isn't cool enough for you turn on your ceiling fans. make sure they are spinning the right way. when you arent in the house don't have your ceiling fans running. its a waste of electricity

Old 07-16-2013, 06:26 PM

670 posts, read 1,343,856 times
85...that's funny. I'd hate to visit your house. We keep ours at 73-74 when my wife and toddlers are home.

15 gallons of AC line condensation is nothing.

Quote:
I have no idea why they'd put the overflow into your sink.
They didn't. They put the main drain to flow through the overflow and out under the eaves. The installer is a moron and should known better than to pipe your main AC drain that way. Even though having it drain down near your sink where you can hear it isn't ideal, it's your only other option other than tearing up walls and tying in the drain farther down the line. The overflow should never be dripping anything unless there's a problem, where your drip pan fills up due to the main drain being clogged, and it alerts you to the issue.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:23 PM

16,952 posts, read 23,107,763 times
I set my A/C at "you'll be sweating if you walk around"

Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 PM

322 posts, read 676,631 times
Testmo, Well, with me and two 8 month old babies who are crawling, 85 isn't really reasonable, now is it? And SIDS is still on our radar here... and they DO have to nap during the day....I appreciate the recommendations toward our lifestyle, however the question was about the A/C.

Umm, I never said the primary was draining through the overflow, however I can see how that could have been understood from the first post. Those are quite well situated as before. The primary is dripping out of another access pipe that was plumbed in (for lack of better wording), and dripping from under the eaves to the ground below. Drip, drip, drip - when the A/C is on. And it is on from noon until 8 PM as the A/C serves the bedrooms on the west wall of the house. Hot as blazes sometimes back there, and it happens to be the babies' bedrooms. So we can't simply shut down the A/C and 'turn on the fans spinning the right way.'

We keep it set at 76 all day. Both A/Cs.

Texsn95 articulated the situation perfectly, and sounds like we shouldn't be too concerned about foundation issues with this. (?)

Old 07-16-2013, 08:45 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,478,655 times
Older homes were plumbed this way as the AC systems were generally retrofitted where there was no system to begin with. We planted a bunch of water liking plants where ours was dripping, like mint. Most newer homes (at least those built since the early 80's) were plumbed into the sink drains. It is just a cleaner way of doing it, but the drains can clog if you don't clean them out every once in a while. Our upstairs unit drains into the upstairs sink with a 3/4" black hose on the end, and it clogs up at least once a year.

If the boggy area bothers you, you could always attach a piece of hose to it and run it out further in the yard, or attach some PVC pipe with holes drilled in it every inch or two to distribute the water over a greater area.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:22 AM

243 posts, read 765,292 times
OP, i hope i understand your post. your AC is draining outside and you have a nice plot of green grass.

if that is the case, then you need to have it fixed ASAP! ac's should drain into the house drain system first. the one outside is secondary and is usually located near a window or door where it is easily visible. your secondary drain is visible to alert you that you have a problem. it SHOULD drain into your main drain for your whole house. i would definitely get someone out there to give you a second opinion.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:06 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,826,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
our AC is set at 79 when we are home and 82 while we are asleep. when you are home if 79 still isn't cool enough for you turn on your ceiling fans.
God created air conditioning in order for man to be able to cool the house to 72 degrees, anything more is blasphemy, anything less and you're probably canadian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston