Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:42 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
I max out my 401K, my wife's 401K, and I save 30% of all after tax income for retirement. I live way below my means because I do not want to work forever. I do not have a vacation home or fancy new cars, I do not have big TV's, I do not have fancy clothes, lots of toys, boats, RV's, or any of that junk...I carry zero debt. I have life insurance, disability insurance, and I am well diversified in just about every kind of investment possible, from stocks, CD's, real estate, private lending all the way to raising over 140 head of cattle...I am fiscally conservative, and I do not depend on any single sole source of income.

You would not receive a dollar from me, I am certain that I will never need to live off of social security.
That is actually how most millionaires live.

The media and the class-warfare types love to show an inaccurate picture of "the rich". They prefer to illustrate them as the cartoonish Paris Hilton's and spoiled Russian neoczar's children hopping on private jets and mega-yachts when not jumping in their convertible Bentleys going club hopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 09:11 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Um, does anybody have any real advice other than those at the very top? Maybe take your political rant somewhere else?

I wish I could help you, OP. Are you specifically looking for subsidized housing? Because they do have certain rules if the government is helping pay for it.

If you make too much money, is your government subsidy included in that figure?

Try looking for a two-bedroom NOT in subsidized housing, they don't have those kinds of rules on how many kids per bedroom, etc.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:17 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,806,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I missed the part where Jesus said that Caesar should dictate how much each person contributes to the temple treasury. Could you please underline that part for me?
That's actually in Matthew: "For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers,you did it to me.’"

Old 07-23-2013, 09:17 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQKWTX View Post
I begin to research online and see that if I made $10,000 less per year we could get medical AND dental coverage for $50 a year. I pay $546 a month.

Can this really be true? We would have a higher standard of living if I quit my job and found something with a lower salary? A nicer place to live? Better health care?
Would you really be better off saving $6000 ($500x12)per year by earning $10,000 less? Seems like a $4,000 downgrade to me.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:30 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Um, does anybody have any real advice other than those at the very top? Maybe take your political rant somewhere else?

I wish I could help you, OP. Are you specifically looking for subsidized housing? Because they do have certain rules if the government is helping pay for it.

If you make too much money, is your government subsidy included in that figure?

Try looking for a two-bedroom NOT in subsidized housing, they don't have those kinds of rules on how many kids per bedroom, etc.
She got her answer. A very nice realtor offered to help her out for FREE. That is a pretty good deal and quite a bit of help. Once your on the government take, its pretty hard to get off of it. I applaud the OP for trying hard to make her difficult situation work without relying upon the government.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:48 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
That's actually in Matthew: "For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers,you did it to me.’"
Fail. Nothing in there says that the government should force anybody to pay taxes.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,513,388 times
You might also consider looking for one bed plus den, that's what we currently have and it was cheaper than a 2 bed, even though the den has a closet and would technically be considered a bedroom.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:42 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,215,996 times
those tax credit apartments are a joke.....single folks making $30K can't get in there and there's not much of a monthly difference between single $21K and $30K

Old 07-25-2013, 04:25 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,049,746 times
i am wondering why someone with approximately a $40,000 a yr income before taxes is searching low end apartments? for your income an apartment for a family is a rip off. you are better off finding a rental house. if you have savings you are better off trying to buy an inexpensive home.

i work financials for low income/middle income folks and am amazed at the rents for a 2/3 bedroom apt some families are willing to pay.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:29 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Ask Jesus, he's the one that told us that is should be that way

Mark 12:41-44 NIV - The Widow' offering

Spoiler

Mark 12:41-44
New International Version (NIV)

The Widow's offering

41 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.
43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”

What if you don't believe in Jesus or any God for that matter? what if you are an atheist? Not saying I am an atheist I just like to point out stuff....can't help it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: