Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 04:33 PM

660 posts, read 1,615,849 times

Advertisements

anyone has experience asking permission from katy isd for a child to be absent for 3 days to be on a cruise. child will be kinder this school year.

my parents will be here as tourists for a few weeks and we want to go on a cruise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 04:35 PM

298 posts, read 381,419 times
You don't even have to have you child in Kinder per state law, so it should not be an issue at all. Technically, attendance rules apply once you enroll, however K teachers tend to be lenient. If you are truly worried, just say your child was sick.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:56 PM

63 posts, read 133,912 times
In Katy you only need a Drs note if absent for more than 3 days so you shou be fine. They will be unexcused but as long as the rest are excused you will be ok

Old 07-23-2013, 07:01 PM

467 posts, read 1,185,468 times
Please be careful...a couple years ago, when my son was in 1st grade in Fort Bend ISD, we took a cruise during Thanksgiving. He was absent for 2 days, I spoke to his teacher, she said it shouldn't be a problem at all. When he came back, I wrote a note and the school called me...they told me if he was absent for 1 more day, a total of 3 days, I would had been issued a ticket and will would have to go to court (I believe it's a misdemeanor offense). That scared me, so no more planned vacations during the school year! So, don't ask permission, just go and get a dr's note afterwards.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:11 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,365,078 times
ask permission ?
seriously ?

TELL them your kid will out on certain days and will be back on a certain day.
IF they give you any lip, go to the next school board meeting and demand some heads over such nonsense..

Old 07-23-2013, 07:21 PM

298 posts, read 381,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliana926 View Post
Please be careful...a couple years ago, when my son was in 1st grade in Fort Bend ISD, we took a cruise during Thanksgiving. He was absent for 2 days, I spoke to his teacher, she said it shouldn't be a problem at all. When he came back, I wrote a note and the school called me...they told me if he was absent for 1 more day, a total of 3 days, I would had been issued a ticket and will would have to go to court (I believe it's a misdemeanor offense). That scared me, so no more planned vacations during the school year! So, don't ask permission, just go and get a dr's note afterwards.
Yeah, but you have to account for the fact that that's FBISD. In the teaching world, they aren't exactly known for having the world's best admins. Quite the contrary. They are a bunch of power hungry so and sos. I worked for them for four years and that was quite enough.

In Katy, she should be just fine.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:18 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliana926 View Post
Ticket?? Misdemeanor offense and court?? Seriously?? That is asinine. Heck, by today's standards my parents would probably be hard felons for the stuff they did, which really didn't seem that bad at the time.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:46 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Let them know...

We were gone for a week! We had our kids, two of them, in Katy Elementary in Katy Proper. We simply told the teachers that our children would be out of the country with us. The school happened to know that I travel out of the country on business for weeks at a time so they assumed it was the same, but we did not tell them it was a vacation, they did not ask. Nothing happened, my daughter was given some extra work to do, and nothing for my son. We were active PTA members at the time, so I am sure that helped.

The reason they make a big deal is because they lose money for each student that is out, so if the school is hurting for money, they will make an issue; my kids school was not hurting for money. It also depends on who runs the front desk, and the principal; they happen to be a very nice organization at Katy Elementary.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:02 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,946 times
I've done similar elsewhere when I had family visiting from overseas, I explained the situation and they were fine with it especially as it was only K. If your kid is a talker like mine you don't want to be sending them in with a sick note only to have the kid go on about their awesome vacation for a week.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:53 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
It is true that kinder is not required, but once a child enters school truancy laws are applicable. The child must attend 90% of days that school is in session. I think it is 90% of 180 days.

You cannot miss more than 10 days in a 6 month period. Also, missing 3 or more days in a 4 week period that are unexcused violates the truancy law. Of course the school principal can excuse your absences.

If you have too many unexcused absences, you will get a warning by the state. If attendance does not improve, you will have to go to court. If found guilty, it is about a 500$ fine and Class C misdemeanor.

Talk with the principal and make sure your child doesn't miss any other days. It should be fine.

I had many parents take their kids on vacation during the school year, and they didn't have a problem. of course, I always told them to talk with the attendance clerk and /or principal.

Stress how important school is to you during the meeting. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: