Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:29 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Would you ever consider going on a vacation to New York or Chicago? If so, what would you do there?
If you want to experience the best city/urban life that America has to offer, you go to NY or Chicago and several other cities over Houston. What do you think people go to see when they go to Paris or London?

Shopping? You can do that in every major city.
Museums? Pretty much every major city has a world reknown museum.
See a play? See museums and shopping.
Restaurants? See museums, shopping, and a play though I do believe Houston is underrated as a foodie city. It just doesn't have that local cuisine that you reminds you of the city and that you can't get pretty much anywhere else.

Yes Houston has some great ones. But none really outside a couple to bring millions from other parts of the country and world and think, I must come here again. Not to mention, they have attractions whether manmade or natural that brings people back and attracts people that's never been there. Chicago has the lake, fine dining, skyscrapers, multitude of parks, and walkable vibrant neighborhoods. NYC speaks for itself. This is what Houston needs to work on. They got the economy down. Now they need to work on activities and a sense of place. Stop ignoring what's given to Houston naturally such as the Bayous. What national historic landmark is there that would want people to go see every now and then.

Last edited by Spade; 07-26-2013 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 12:37 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
"Underrated" is a word used frequently to describe Houston on these boards. Why is that? Do the negative perceptions unfairly outweigh the positives? Does Houston have a competent Convention and Visitors Bureau? There has to be a way to get the word out. My suggestion is that the GHCVB should immediately hire some of the more outspoken boosters/homers inhabiting this board, particularly the ones who live and breathe Houston v. Dallas 24/7/365. One suggestion: Quit touting the Texas Medical Center as a tourist attraction. No one wants to go to a hospital unless they have to, or they work there.
Agreed. I'd also add touting the Galleria as a tourist attraction is not a great idea either. It's a suburban styled mall. No different than Tyson's Corner in VA outside DC. People love to visit magnificent mile or shops at Bal Habour and 5th avenue. Those places are far more personal and inviting for tourists and others than suburban malls that they can experience in whatever city they are either in or close to.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:51 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If you want to experience the best city/urban life that America has to offer, you go to NY or Chicago and several other cities over Houston. What do you think people go to see when they go to Paris or London?

Restaurants? See museums, shopping, and a play.

Yes Houston has some great ones. But none really outside a couple to bring millions from other parts of the country and world and think, I must come here again. Not to mention, they have attractions whether manmade or natural that brings people back and attracts people that's never been there. Chicago has the lake, fine dining, skyscrapers, multitude of parks, and walkable vibrant neighborhoods. NYC speaks for itself. This is what Houston needs to work on. They got the economy down. Now they need to work on activities and a sense of place. Stop ignoring what's given to Houston naturally such as the Bayous. What national historic landmark is there that would want people to go see every now and then.
I like this comment. For a long time, I've felt that we should focus on being a better Houston, building on our strengths to make it a better place to live, rather than wasting time and money using lame advertisements to convince outsiders that we are something we are not (or perhaps not yet). Houston has potential, but crowing to others about how wonderful we are now is not likely to be a successful tactic at winning many people over. My opinion is future Houstonians would benefit more by improvements to the city. SuperBowls and Olympics pump some money into the local economy, but in terms of the "hey, look at me" aspect, I would like there to be more to see.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:55 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Restaurants? See museums, shopping, and a play though I do believe Houston is underrated as a foodie city. It just doesn't have that local cuisine that you reminds you of the city and that you can't get pretty much anywhere else.

You would travel to Chicago to look at a lake, go to a park and walk through a neighborhood? Seriously? You think that makes a tourist destination over performing arts, restaurants, museums and shopping?

NYC, same thing.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
but in terms of the "hey, look at me" aspect, I would like there to be more to see.
Keep in mind that the article addressed in the OP's post was in the New York Times, not the Houston Chronicle.

I love the mindset here.

"I'd love to go to NYC or Chicago to see the tall buildings, the museums, do some shopping, catch a play, maybe go sailing and eat at nice restaurants. But I don't think Houston is a good place to go; after all, who wants to see tall building, go to museums, shop, catch a play, go sailing or eat at nice restaurants."

Old 07-26-2013, 01:00 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,696 times
I have never in my life heard of anyone to come to Houston a vacation without coming to visit friends or family. If they do they are an idiot. I have traveled all over the US and there are thousands of places that would be more interesting. If you are going to go on vacation to a great city. You go to NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, San Franciso, Washington DC, Miami, Denver, Portland, Seattle, LA, San Diego, Las Vegas, Santa Fe.... I can do this all day long. I would never recommend anyone to visit any Texas city for tourism. To me vacation spots need to be either old cities or need to be scenic. Houston is neither.

The Galleria is a tourist attraction for rich Mexicans. The Med Center is where you go to get healed. Not to take pictures. NASA is not the big deal it used to be. Cutting funding and ending ambitious projects ended that. It would take a mission to the Moon or Mars for anyone to care.

I am proud of Houston as I was born here. People say I am crazy when I tell them how great of a place it is to live. This really is a great place to live. It is getting better every year too. I do wish they would clamp down on the pollution of the petro industry. I don't ever see that happening in Texas though.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:00 PM

Oh, well I did forget, NYC and Chicago have subways and I guess there are people who plan their vacations so they can ride a subway.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
I have never in my life heard of anyone to come to Houston a vacation without coming to visit friends or family. If they do they are an idiot. I have traveled all over the US and there are thousands of places that would be more interesting. If you are going to go on vacation to a great city. You go to NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, San Franciso, Washington DC, Miami, Denver, Portland, Seattle, LA, San Diego, Las Vegas, Santa Fe.... I can do this all day long. I would never recommend anyone to visit any Texas city for tourism. To me vacation spots need to be either old cities or need to be scenic. Houston is neither.

The Galleria is a tourist attraction for rich Mexicans. The Med Center is where you go to get healed. Not to take pictures. NASA is not the big deal it used to be. Cutting funding and ending ambitious projects ended that. It would take a mission to the Moon or Mars for anyone to care.

I am proud of Houston as I was born here. People say I am crazy when I tell them how great of a place it is to live. This really is a great place to live. It is getting better every year too. I do wish they would clamp down on the pollution of the petro industry. I don't ever see that happening in Texas though.
Want to compare the museums, opera and theater of Seattle, San Diego, Santa Fe, Portland or Denver to those of Houston?

Tell me why you would visit Chicago.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:38 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Oh, well I did forget, NYC and Chicago have subways and I guess there are people who plan their vacations so they can ride a subway.
Chicago has the *el* which is only a small portion underground.

No, people don't plan their vacations to ride either the subway or the *el,* but it sure is a convenient way to access many attractions without driving and spending a lot on gas.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,908 times
Quote:
Tell me why you would visit Chicago.
The Taste of Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston