Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:15 AM

561 posts, read 972,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I have always said that the University of Houston is a hidden gem. It's affordable and offers a great education. I went to a top ten school but have fared no better than some of my friends who graduated from UT, A&M and UH.

Texas schools are very practical, less theoretical. An accountant from UT-McCombs is tops. A chemical or petroleum engineer from A&M tops. A civil engineer, Texas again. MBA, Texas and Bauer Business School UH, hands down the two best. Skip Rice Jones and go Bauer all the way. UH also has the 2nd best law school in the State in my opinion, after UT (yes, even better than Baylor or SMU).

As for Architecture; Rice, UT, UH/A&M tied, and Texas Tech. English Creative writing, UH is tops in the nation too.

Point is, it's about timethe Cougars were shown some respect. I too wouldn't have touched UH with a hundred foot pole back when I was graduating high school but now I wouldn't hesitate to attend it for grad school. I would go in a heartbeat.

What I don't understand is why some Houston suburb kids would rather go to Lubbock, Huntsville or Nacadoches for school???
Hmm Rice U Jones Business school should be skipped for Bauer? Hmmm.. I really wouldn't go that far. I've seen companies desire Rice grads much more than UH grads, on a regular basis.

A Rice MBA holds a ton more value than a UH MBA. UH MBA grad's are a dime a dozen, I know so many people that went to UH purely because it was their safety(both undergrad and MBA).

UH is solely a commuter school that they're slowly trying to change into a more traditional college. Which is difficult when you have rising tuition costs that are now almost equal to UT and A&M, and the average age of the university hovers above 26.

I attended UH for a few years, came straight out of High school, and one shock was how many people were actually not in my situation, more often than not, I met people that are going back to school and aren't straight out of college.

My little brother attended A&M and I was there through the orientation and I was surprised at how helpful and friendly the staff was (although it seemed that the entire career services program was running on Oil and Gas companies but thats a different story). It was refreshing and great at how well they treated their incoming students, where they actually had adviser's were meeting with students on a regular basis, and were making sure the transition went smoothly. Were as UH admissions and Financial Aid offices were full with staff members that just want you out of their office and didn't want to do anything outside of let you know if you were eligible to take a class or not. No guidance, no real help, I got more information on the first weeks from students around me than I did from any staff member, including my "adviser".

The worse thing about UH... Parking, ask any student, there are more garages now, but you have to pay extra to park there, and when I was there, it was a nightmare, and the funny thing is they had no problem ticketing parking violations even though there clearly are no more available spots despite overselling parking passes.

Glad I transferred and it was the best decision I ever made. Perhaps suburban kids around Houston go elsewhere because they dont want that commuter feel of a school, they want the full college feel. And not just that they want their incoming class of freshmen to be full of folks that aren't in their late 20's.

And the abysmal football and basketball programs aren't garnering anything either, UH is getting a remodeled stadium, but if you're not winning and not bringing in top teams, it seems a bit pointless, they can hardly fill the stadium as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:20 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
I'm glad that U of H is finally getting some of the attention/accolades it deserves, but I'm really disappointed to see my own alma mater (UT Austin) ranked 66th. 66th??!?!?!?! Is that the best we can do?!?!?!?!

Old 07-30-2013, 07:52 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
UH football isn't exactly abysmal. Granted last year was a debacle, and they play in a horrid conference. But if you didn't notice 2011-12 and the years before that (OSU, TTech, Penn State, and Miss State noticed) then you weren't paying attention.

Lee Corso loses his mind in Houston: F-Bomb ensures Coogs House Col... - CultureMap Houston

Interesting fact - Dana Holgerson, Art Briles, Kliff Kingsbury, and Kevin Sumlin all have a common employment connection.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:58 AM

561 posts, read 972,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
UH football isn't exactly abysmal. Granted last year was a debacle, and they play in a horrid conference. But if you didn't notice 2011 and they years before that (OSU, TTech, and Miss State noticed) then you weren't paying attention.

Lee Corso loses his mind in Houston: F-Bomb ensures Coogs House Col... - CultureMap Houston

Interesting fact - Dana Holgerson, Art Briles, Kliff Kingsbury, and Kevin Sumlin all have a common employment connection.
I agree, UH seems to be a doormat for coaches looking to break into the big conferences. And UH is joining the Big East? A conference that is producing some decent teams( like Louiville, especially when they whooped the gators).

UH looks like it will get steam rolled. They played in a weak conference, and I was there when UH was knocking on the door of a BCS bowl game if they could just handle Southern Miss. but no, the Coogs were promptly sent back to obscurity after an abysmal performance at home none the less, then they lost Kevin Sumlin, and Case Keenum.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:02 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
I agree, UH seems to be a doormat for coaches looking to break into the big conferences. And UH is joining the Big East? A conference that is producing some decent teams( like Louiville, especially when they whooped the gators).

UH looks like it will get steam rolled. They played in a weak conference, and I was there when UH was knocking on the door of a BCS bowl game if they could just handle Southern Miss. but no, the Coogs were promptly sent back to obscurity after an abysmal performance at home none the less, then they lost Kevin Sumlin, and Case Keenum.
They lost that game partly because it was leaked that Sumlin was leaving before they played Southern Miss, so the players were like "wtf coach, why are you leaving us".

Old 07-30-2013, 08:08 AM

785 posts, read 1,234,675 times
Quote:
UH is solely a commuter school that they're slowly trying to change into a more traditional college.
There are going to be 8,000 undergrads living on campus at UH in the upcoming fall semester, which is maybe 1000 short of the number that live on A&M's.

I went to UH for my undergrad and am now back for my graduate. It's definitely not the same school I remember. New University Center (it's going to be HUGE), new stadium, rail line that can take students to the Dynamo stadium and to downtown...they just need to clean up Third Ward (how about turning Scott Street into a line of coffee shops and thrift stores? LOL) and students will definitely flock to the school.

Last edited by crono_clone; 07-30-2013 at 08:31 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 08:27 AM

288 posts, read 433,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
UH football isn't exactly abysmal. Granted last year was a debacle, and they play in a horrid conference. But if you didn't notice 2011-12 and the years before that (OSU, TTech, Penn State, and Miss State noticed) then you weren't paying attention.
Sad to say, becasue even though I didnt attend UH, none of what happened 2 or 3 years ago matters in sports. Today, UH is in a conference on the verge of collapsing, and its too late for them to get out of it. Most of the American Athletic Conference are left over football schools from C-USA.

College Football isnt what it used to be, and UH is left on the outside looking in unfortunately. A lot of factor played into why they havent joined a big time confrence since the SWC, but things aren't looking good for the long term.

Quote:
What I don't understand is why some Houston suburb kids would rather go to Lubbock, Huntsville or Nacadoches for school???
A lot of kids want to leave home for college. Perception wise, UH historically had the same level of prestige as Texas State or Tech. With all the strides they have made, I would hope they're focusing more on recruiting kids from across the state instead of just focusing on the Houston Metro like they have always depended on.

UH is a public state school, not a just Houston one. I'm sure they are doing more of it by now.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:02 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Hmm Rice U Jones Business school should be skipped for Bauer? Hmmm.. I really wouldn't go that far. I've seen companies desire Rice grads much more than UH grads, on a regular basis.

A Rice MBA holds a ton more value than a UH MBA. UH MBA grad's are a dime a dozen, I know so many people that went to UH purely because it was their safety(both undergrad and MBA).

UH is solely a commuter school that they're slowly trying to change into a more traditional college. Which is difficult when you have rising tuition costs that are now almost equal to UT and A&M, and the average age of the university hovers above 26.

I attended UH for a few years, came straight out of High school, and one shock was how many people were actually not in my situation, more often than not, I met people that are going back to school and aren't straight out of college.

My little brother attended A&M and I was there through the orientation and I was surprised at how helpful and friendly the staff was (although it seemed that the entire career services program was running on Oil and Gas companies but thats a different story). It was refreshing and great at how well they treated their incoming students, where they actually had adviser's were meeting with students on a regular basis, and were making sure the transition went smoothly. Were as UH admissions and Financial Aid offices were full with staff members that just want you out of their office and didn't want to do anything outside of let you know if you were eligible to take a class or not. No guidance, no real help, I got more information on the first weeks from students around me than I did from any staff member, including my "adviser".

The worse thing about UH... Parking, ask any student, there are more garages now, but you have to pay extra to park there, and when I was there, it was a nightmare, and the funny thing is they had no problem ticketing parking violations even though there clearly are no more available spots despite overselling parking passes.

Glad I transferred and it was the best decision I ever made. Perhaps suburban kids around Houston go elsewhere because they dont want that commuter feel of a school, they want the full college feel. And not just that they want their incoming class of freshmen to be full of folks that aren't in their late 20's.

And the abysmal football and basketball programs aren't garnering anything either, UH is getting a remodeled stadium, but if you're not winning and not bringing in top teams, it seems a bit pointless, they can hardly fill the stadium as it is.
Rice is a great top school, but I never saw the appeal of it's business school. I always thought of it as having less networking resources than UH Bauer. And undergrad I would say yes you're correct it's not as prestigious but the MBA program is really good. For the price and networking and opportunities, I would probably pass up Jones for it. Just my opinion. McCombs UT, no, never. That is tops in the State.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:52 PM

35 posts, read 102,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Rice is a great top school, but I never saw the appeal of it's business school. I always thought of it as having less networking resources than UH Bauer. And undergrad I would say yes you're correct it's not as prestigious but the MBA program is really good. For the price and networking and opportunities, I would probably pass up Jones for it. Just my opinion. McCombs UT, no, never. That is tops in the State.
That perception is largely due to Rice's relative newness compared to other MBA programs both in the state and nationwide. I think their graduate school started in the 70s or 80s.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:18 PM

259 posts, read 510,444 times
Texas A&M now has 52k total students and we are still growing in size and stature. Us moving to the SEC and having such a great year in all sports (not just football) and the added national attention has our application rate skyrocketing.

We are now the 9th wealthiest school in the nation as far as endowment (only UT and Michigan are ahead of us as far as public schools) and we continue to excel in research. Oh and BTW Mays Business School is vastly underrated...not to mention the Bush School of Government. Great thing about College Station is that we are the main attraction, we don't have to compete within a larger city like Houston or Austin. This is how I'm able to have a 650sq ft One bedroom apt (not a studio or an efficiency) with central heat and air and a large walk-in closet for only $450 a month.

While schools are building more dorms, we are building more dorms and luxury high rises (riseatnorthgate.com) .

Kyle Field renovation project has been approved at almost a half-billion dollars ($450mil).

All that to say it's a great time to be an Aggie Gig Em!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston