Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:48 AM

4 posts, read 25,449 times

Advertisements

I'm a 20 something, african american professional and a single mom of 1. We are relocating to Houston in 3 weeks because I was offered a job as a developer in Midtown. My monthly budget is about $1800/mo for rent, 3br preferred in good school district. Near parks, libraries,art galleries,museums, and good restaurants for adults but also restaurants with kid friendly environments and options. Safety is important. I have a vehicle but would like to live in a walkable area. I would prefer a single family home but mid/high rise or townhouses will work too. Parking is important. I really like the areas of Downtown,the Heights, the Museum District and Memorial.So my questions are:
1.) Are my preferences feasible in these areas; If not where should I be looking?
2.) How is diversity in these areas?
3.) Are there many small families or people with children in these areas?
4.) As a follow up to question 3. Will the fact that I have a child or am a single parent have a huge impact on areas we can live and feel part of the community.( E.G. I don't want to be made to feel unwelcome because I'm the only one in the apartment community with a kid.)
5.) What are the best suburbs in Houston or surrounding areas?
6.) Are there a good amount of black students in elementary schools in these areas?

If living within the Loop just won't work with my preferences and budget which are the best suburbs in Houston or surrounding areas? Please consider commute to Midtown, if thats even possible to get around.

Also could someone recommend a good gymnastics studio, best lake, beach?

Last edited by sbm279933; 07-28-2013 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 11:01 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,694,730 times
1.) Are my preferences feasible in these areas; If not where should I be looking?
Midtown and the Rice Village are the only walkable areas. Midtown is the most expensive apartment area in Houston. A small one bedroom in midtown runs north of 1500. A nice complex in the loop not near Midtown will run you about 1200 for a one bedroom. Just search around for places on the net. That or find an apartment hunter.
2.) Are there any other young black professionals in these areas for networking and socializing?
No idea. All the black people I know hang out with people of all races.
3.) Are there many small families or people with children in these areas?
Midtown is a singles area. The children areas are in the suburbs or expensive neighborhoods
4.) As a follow up to question 3. Will the fact that I have a child or am a single parent have a huge impact on areas we can live and feel part of the community.( E.G. I don't want to be made to feel unwelcome because I'm the only one in the apartment community with a kid.)
There are plenty of apartments with kids
5.) Does wanting a house mean I necessarily have to move to the suburbs?
No, but it can be very pricey. That or you have to live in a neighborhood that is transitioning and it could be decades before it really turns around.
6.) How is the black community in these areas?
No idea
Also could someone recommend a good gymnastics studio, best lake, beach?
The beaches suck near here. There is Galveston and Surf Side. I like surf side much better. Conroe is about an hour away and it is ok. The nice lakes are in the hill country near Austin.
Your budget is not realistic. The only walkable areas in Houston are Midtown and the Rice Village. There are plenty of apartments with kids.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:19 AM

298 posts, read 381,478 times
No way 1400 gets you a 3 bedroom where you want. You might want to look at Missouri City, but ask only African Americans about the town. You will get a completely different answer from African-Americans than white people, just the truth. There are some decent schools in Missouri City, they just have to be zoned to Hightower or Elkins.

Don't look at Stafford, cross that off your list. The schools are atrocious. Also, consider areas within HISD zoned to schools such as Briargrove. If you really hunt, you might find something between Westheimer, San Felipe, Fountain View and Voss that suits your needs. Also, keep in mind that perceptions on here are skewed. I have made the observation that many people on here are very high income and tend to over-exaggerate crime, how "bad" a school is etc.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:01 PM

Can I find what I'm looking for in Spring ,TX or Northwest

Old 07-28-2013, 12:17 PM

298 posts, read 381,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm279933 View Post
Yes and Yes. Just make sure you don't look in the corner of Cy-Fair (Antoine/CrossTimberish=not as nice).

Old 07-28-2013, 01:33 PM

36 posts, read 78,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm279933 View Post
I live in Spring, specifically off of Rayford in a subdivision called Imperial Oaks.

It is not really a walkable community. I'm able to walk to the grocery store (Kroger) and to my barber shop, but that is about the only things in walking distance. The homes in the subdivision are great, though. I'm sure many others will say that there are much better homes and communities, but I'm a single 23 year old male and it is good enough for me. Only thing that can be a problem is the traffic that forms on Rayford, but there are shortcuts that you will find that greatly help out.

I especially like it because I can be at the Woodland's Mall or Market street within 10-15 minutes, and I don't have to live in the Woodland's so I'm able to have a better home for the money!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:09 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,387,150 times
I moved from Katy to just outside the loop. The good elementary schools in hisd are comparable to the burbs. A few middle schools are okay. Some of the high schools surpass the burbs IMO. I am an experienced and certified teacher, so I do know my "stuff". All the people who say there are no kids in the loop or close to the loop don't live here.

HISD is a tricky district with some good schools, some okay schools, and some schools I wouldn't even drive by.

Spring Branch ISD is very good south of I10, with a few good elementary schools north of I10.

AliefISD is mostly bad, Outley elementary, Rees, and Petrosky are okay elementary schools. Middle schools are pretty bad, but there is one decent high school that is an alternative system.

If I was you I would try to live as close to midtown as you can. Here are the good elementary schools in HISD: Briargrove, St. George Place (okay) , River Oaks, Poe, Kolter, Red(okay), Condit, Parker, West University, and there are others close to Bellaire that are good.

Good luck!

I would find an apartment locator to help find a good apartment in the school zones you want.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:42 AM

Are there any family friendly neighborhoods in the loop?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:46 AM

Anyone have any info on
spring branch, willowbend ,west bury area,oak forest or glenbrook valley

Old 08-07-2013, 05:04 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,387,150 times
Willowbend is a good area with a decent elementary. (Red elem.) Bigger homes on bigger lots.

Westbury- mostly zoned to Parker elem (really good). and Kolter elem(excellent)

Both of these areas are being flipped right now. Stay away from South Westbury near the high school.

Spring Branch north of I10 has really nice areas and places I feel scared of. ( And I drove through Alief and Sharpstown when I taught in Alief) Schools are hit and miss, so you really need a realtor there. Great location!

I don't have personal info on the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston