Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:59 AM

785 posts, read 1,234,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyman View Post
This optimism seems very similar to that during the mid eighties right before the oil depression hit Houston and the state of Texas. I did not say a recession or a depression, but a slow down. If the falling of the price of gas helps other industries in the world other than that of oil and gas, then, it is easy to surmise, as Houston is by and large a one industry town, it should go through a slow down.
Houston is hardly the one-industry town that it was back in the eighties when the oil glut hit Houston hard. It'll still hurt, but it won't be a near-death blow like it was last time.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:00 PM

581 posts, read 924,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
The Arabs are not dumping oil and they never will. They sometimes help when there is a hard crunch. Exploration with oil is at an all time high. The new natty gas fields found. Houston is going to boom and won't stop for a long time. As for gas prices to 2.50. I don't ever see that happening again. Those times are gone my friend. I doubt oil will ever slip below 90 a barrel. So, not sure where you got that news, but it is simply not true. It is extremely far fetched.
Saudi Arabia to raise oil production substantially - The Boston Globe

The price of gas always takes a tumble during the fall. How much that will be is the question. 2.50 does seem a bit of an extreme prediction after reading more articles on it.

But, my question is whether there is going to be any falling off of the hot Houston economy. If you are standing at the very top, the only way to go is down.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:01 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That's what I tell everybody
but we all know that the media only makes money when they keep people in fear
"Uhhhh my God, the price of oil went down $5!!!"

My company already went through a slow down and is on the upswing
The reporters listen to the hype and the hype can make the people trading on the commodities market a fortune. Connect the dots.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:04 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If you trained monkeys to drill and run the wells for two bananas a day, you'd still lose your arse at $2,50 per barrel.
Not necessarily. It would depend on how many monkeys were required, the cost of bananas and the demand for oil.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:05 PM

50 posts, read 98,962 times
Quote:
The price of gas is expected to drop to as low as 2.50 a gallon this fall
Source?

Quote:
while the Arabs have been dumping oil onto the world market.
Source?

Quote:
If the falling of the price of gas helps other industries in the world other than that of oil and gas, then, it is easy to surmise, as Houston is by and large a one industry town, it should go through a slow down.
Natural gas prices have been depressed since last year at least while oil prices have stayed fairly level. By your reasoning, Houston's economic performance should be fairly mediocre. I don't think that's been the case over the past few years.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
Houston is hardly the one-industry town that it was back in the eighties when the oil glut hit Houston hard. It'll still hurt, but it won't be a near-death blow like it was last time.
But one can expect a slowdown, right?

Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The reporters listen to the hype and the hype can make the people trading on the commodities market a fortune. Connect the dots.
Yes, what Binky doesn't understand is that high oil prices can actually cause economic slowdowns. I think we should help binky understand this and many other things about life.

Higher oil prices have in the past led the developed economies into recessions, as readers above the age of 50 will painfully recall. This idea was capably covered by my MoneyWatch colleague Jill Schlesinger the other day, so I will not repeat the analysis, but the weekend Financial Times featured a great, or should I say brilliant, graphic comparing the U.S. economy and oil prices since 1970, thus (click to enlarge):

There's been an oil spike before every recession. The wiggly line is the two-year percent change in oil prices.

The U.S. economy is far less sensitive to oil than it was 30 or 40 years ago -- note that the doubling in 2005 didn't get an immediate recessionary response -- but higher gasoline prices will reduce the income people have to spend, and dent whatever recovery is going on in the consumer sector. Enjoy the graph, if not the message. © 2011 CBS Interactive Inc.. All Rights Reserved.

Oil Prices and Recessions, 40 Years' Worth - CBS News

Old 07-30-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
Source?

Source?

Natural gas prices have been depressed since last year at least while oil prices have stayed fairly level. By your reasoning, Houston's economic performance should be fairly mediocre. I don't think that's been the case over the past few years.
I did source it even though this should be general knowledge. For cripes sake. I'm just suggesting a slow down in what is basically an over heated economy. The Arabs have boosted production while the fall season is fast approaching when people quit buying so much gasoline. This should cause the price of gas to fall. How much is the question. As the price of gas falls, the Houston economy should slow.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:13 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Houston is by and large a one industry town, it should go through a slow down.
Houston has the ports, construction (which is faring better than most states), medical (which is recession proof), education (which isn't experiencing major cuts), business and criminal justice (which is less talked about but bail bonds, attorneys, prisons, correctional, courts, etc.).

It's amazing that people think Houston is just a one industry town. Of course oil/energy is huge and the major industry here but the main reason why Houston has been strong is because of diverse industries.

Houston hasn't escaped any major overall nationwide downturn, problems persist in Houston too, it's just much more stable than the rest.

I know a lot of ya'll will hate me for saying but if the city were to invest itself in some of the growth to develop the instracture, construct better transit and add more public spaces, it would also increase growth and attract more development.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Yes, what Binky doesn't understand is that high oil prices can actually cause economic slowdowns. I think we should help binky understand this and many other things about life.

Higher oil prices have in the past led the developed economies into recessions, as readers above the age of 50 will painfully recall. This idea was capably covered by my MoneyWatch colleague Jill Schlesinger the other day, so I will not repeat the analysis, but the weekend Financial Times featured a great, or should I say brilliant, graphic comparing the U.S. economy and oil prices since 1970, thus (click to enlarge):

There's been an oil spike before every recession. The wiggly line is the two-year percent change in oil prices.

The U.S. economy is far less sensitive to oil than it was 30 or 40 years ago -- note that the doubling in 2005 didn't get an immediate recessionary response -- but higher gasoline prices will reduce the income people have to spend, and dent whatever recovery is going on in the consumer sector. Enjoy the graph, if not the message. © 2011 CBS Interactive Inc.. All Rights Reserved.

Oil Prices and Recessions, 40 Years' Worth - CBS News
Wow. I simply said a slow down. A slow down doesn't even have to mean the economy won't be booming. At some time, there is going to have to be an adjustment in the Houston economy to make up for a substantial fall in the price of gasoline this fall season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: