Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:55 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Yep. We would have been loaded up and taken home. We sat in our chairs in restaurants and participated. We didn't crayon, color, txt, tweet or have to be entertained.

The other night at the table next to us, this was the Mom's conversation with the child.

The father was served a daquiri and the child started in:

I want a daiquiri!!!
No honey, it has alcohol. You have Coke.
I want it.
No, we aren't getting one
i want it I want it I want it.
No.
i want onnnnnneuuuhhooonnnn.
Ok, we'll get you a virgin one. ( she totally caved)
No... i want daddy's ...
No it has alcohol.
I want iiiiiiit.
Ok Bill give him a sip. ( totally caves)
I want one.
We are getting you one. it will be here in a few minutes.
Noooooooo. Want it now
Do you want to go out to the car? We are getting you one. Just wait a few minutes.
Whines
Lets go out the car, Im taking you home ( never moves a muscle)
Whines
Its coming soon honey
Whines
lets go out to the car ( never leaves her seat, the kid knows she's not serious)
Pout pout whine whine
We are going home if you don't stop. (She never moves)

The virgin daquiri gets served. Kid wins.

Several tables had to listen to the production.
Imagine that kid as a teenager.

My folks would have took me out to the car and brought on the belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 08:55 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
YOU feel they are perfectly behaved. I've met many a parent who feels the same way. Then I hear...'he's just being 5'. There are places where its more acceptable for kids to be. Nice restaurants are not one of them, UNLESS they specifically allow children after 8 pm.
Yeah. The parents who think their kids are "perfectly" behaved are usually the ones with devil spawns.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:07 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Ok...after 8pm and under the age of 8..,
Those kids should be worn out little heaps of sleep curled up in their beds. I can't imagine taking a child, even a good one, on his/her last rope out to dinner that late. Thus...whiiiinnning. And if your kid is one that "has no problem staying up till midnight with you".. That's another issue in itself.

Remember babysitters? They used to have those back in the day for little kids. People are just too cheap for sitters I guess. Rather spend 25 bucks on kiddie burger at Eddie Vs than 50 on a sitter, and have a date with their spouse.Shrug.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:14 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Imagine that kid as a teenager.

My folks would have took me out to the car and brought on the belt.
Me too.
Or we left and went home after one warning.
Sure it might ruin your evening, but you only have to do it once and the kid understands you mean it for life.

Btw, my parents didn't waste money on us in fancy restaurants until we were over 10. We actually had sitters. We did the same.

To quote my Dad: Remember, its the big people v. the little people. If you ever let them win a battle, you'll lose the whole war. Damn Straight.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 08-06-2013 at 09:33 AM..

Old 08-06-2013, 09:40 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
Well is always subjective and will never work. Is my opinion vs. yours. If we apply this concept to everything we do in our society this will truly be a nightmare. I don’t like the way people smell in the London tube, so now we should ban them from riding the tube? I don’t think some adults have good table manners, so should we ban them from restaurants? Is all subjective mate and good luck with enforcing that J What is the definition of well-behaved and who will enforce that if you're not meeting those standards?
Is not up to some restaurant or anyone else to tell me if my kids are well behaved / or not, by their own standards. It becomes discriminative at that point. When we allow the PEOPLE dictate in our society what's right or what’s wrong at that point everything becomes anarchy. And anarchy don’t make good friends with the law J

Quote:
YOU feel they are perfectly behaved. I've met many a parent who feels the same way. Then I hear...'he's just being 5'. There are places where its more acceptable for kids to be. Nice restaurants are not one of them, UNLESS they specifically allow children after 8 pm.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:46 AM

392 posts, read 998,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Well is always subjective and will never work. Is my opinion vs. yours. If we apply this concept to everything we do in our society this will truly be a nightmare. I don’t like the way people smell in the London tube, so now we should ban them from riding the tube? I don’t think some adults have good table manners, so should we ban them from restaurants? Is all subjective mate and good luck with enforcing that J What is the definition of well-behaved and who will enforce that if you're not meeting those standards?
Is not up to some restaurant or anyone else to tell me if my kids are well behaved / or not, by their own standards. It becomes discriminative at that point. When we allow the PEOPLE dictate in our society what's right or what’s wrong at that point everything becomes anarchy. And anarchy don’t make good friends with the law J
It is the restaurants right to decide if they want you for a customer or not.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:48 AM

366 posts, read 797,046 times
I'm a total fan of this, and I have an 11 year old. If you don't like the rule, then go dine somewhere else. Why support a place where you disagree with their policy? And this is not discrimination. It's something that has to be done because we live in a society where not everyone is courteous to others and don't give a $hit about how their actions (or lack of) affect society. Therefore, places have to resort to these kinds of policies. My child was always well-behaved but there's no way in hell I'd bring her to a bar, even if they allowed it. Dining out is an option, even a luxury for some. Public transportation is a means some people must rely on. Big difference in comparing the two.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:45 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
My kids are perfectly behaved and I want them to enjoy every nice place that I enjoy. I think a restaurants should have a "behavior" test for kids and adults before entering. I mean let's be fair and not discriminate here :-) Adults can be as bad or even worse. Don't even get me started with adults childish behaviors. Bottom line, no one but no one is a SAINT
You're such an exaggerator sometimes....all of the time ethan. They didn't say never. They said after 7pm. That's very reasonable.

Well then they can dine before 7pm. Shouldn't they be in bed by 9 anyway? After you get in from work 5ish go to the restaurant. Imagine your restaurant proposal at 9pm getting interrupted by a screaming kid while mom and dad ignore and act like they aren't attempting to shatter glass.

No one wants to be at a nice restaurant, paying X dollars and having little banshees running around. It's funny but people watch...notice how it's ALWAYS the parents with the worst behaving kids that take them to the nice restaurants, movies after 10pm, etc.

They know they're kids are bad and it's like they want everyone else to suffer too.

Adult usually act up with some cause. Kids just do because I truly believe most are at least partly ADHD/ADD (we all are but it just tones down with age and maturity for some while it stays legit for others )and can't sit still. It's part of being a kid. They're just antsy so they're going to run. Unless they have good parenting/discipline.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:58 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,946 times
I wouldn't have my under 8s out to eat after 7pm anyway, so it's a non-issue for me, but I probably won't be spending a dime a La Fisheria any time soon now. You don't want my money? Not a problem.

It's a shame when other parents ruin it for the rest of us who have made the effort to raise our kids right. I don't want to be forced to only take my kids on planes full of screaming brats and I don't want to only ever be allowed to have a family meal at Chuck E Cheese.

Kids act up to get something they need from their parents, usually attention. If you don't want to spend your meal time engaging with your children, leave them at home with someone who does.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:21 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
A good solution would be to have sections similar to smoking and non smoking. Kids or no kids. As for those who say they have perfectly behaved kids, that's ridiculous because nobody is perfect, young or old. Kids being kids - that's normal. It's actually the parents to blame for not teaching their children acceptable behavior by not reigning in unacceptable behavior. In fact lets just ban the parents who let the kids run amuck and let their kids dine and hire a socialization team to impart to them the do's and dont's of restaurant behavior. Kids are smart and they learn fast from parents who are willing to teach them. But assuming they are perfection does not benefit them in any way possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston