Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:18 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,944 times

Advertisements

That's why I recommend renting a year before buying a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 12:24 PM

568 posts, read 1,128,962 times
Love the new LA Fitness that just opened up in Garden Oaks. So the area is definitely booming.

It is the city, so you will have your typical city like crimes still in that area. So keep that in mind.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:43 PM

74 posts, read 124,622 times
We live in Oak Forest and have been happy. We are members of the young professional class, so I come at it with that perspective.

We bought in Oak Forest for the elementary school. Generally, lots are smaller than in Garden Oaks but roughly the same money. I suppose we could really push it to put in a small pool, but we won't. There's room in our back yard for a play structure and a shed and that's what we plan to do.

I think Garden Oaks would be better designed for the larger lot folks. Garden Oaks Elementary seems to be fine (we took a tour), but it's a Montessori school, and some people love that and others don't.

Junior High and High Schools are not highly rated now for either neighborhood, but our first child won't even be born until October... so who knows what will happen before he needs those? We decided we could worry about that closer to time. Black Intermediate just got Vanguard status, so maybe that'll start to come up.

My commute into downtown and my husband's commute to the energy corridor are generally good, which was a major consideration for us. I stick to surface streets and can do it in 20-30 minutes (unless I hit all three school zones between home and work or get stuck at railroad tracks). My husband has a 7-4 schedule and goes against traffic, so he usually can do 30 minutes or less.

As far as houses... what we saw fell into the following buckets:
1. Original homes where (usually) the owner had died and the heirs were selling in more or less as-is condition. Many needed a lot of work and/or were potential teardowns.
2. Original homes (and often homes with additions) that are well maintained. Generally somewhere between 1600-2200 square feet.
3. New builds which come in two flavors: (A) keeping the original footprint and possible exterior, but completely redone interior; or (B) the new builds that often require two lots, are closer to 4,000 sq. feet -- much like in the Heights.

Obviously, prices vary depending on what you're getting. Competition is fierce and having a good realtor makes all the difference. We got our house because our realtor called at 10 pm, told us she thought she found our house, begged us to meet her in the morning rather than after work, and convinced us to go in a few thousand dollars over asking price. By 7 pm, there were 5 offers on a house that went on the market that morning. We won because we went in over asking price.

We've been lucky with good neighbors and have found it to be a quiet place, much like the suburbs in which I grew up. Easy access to downtown/Heights/Montrose, and most big box stores are reasonably accessible along I-10 and/or 290.

As for the negatives... Oak Forest has an HOA, but it's funded through voluntary donations, so it doesn't have much going for it.

Deed restrictions are not as tight as in master planned communities or more modern suburbs, which can work for you or against you, depending on your situation.

I think the restaurant scene is slowly improving, but the area still lacks a solid cadre of good quality restaurants (although there are a few in existence now). We'll often go to the Heights/Montrose for meals out. (But then, I'm quite spoiled because before we moved to Oak Forest, we lived in Montrose).

There's a Signature Kroger at 43rd and Ella, but that's about the only grocery store in the immediate area. It draws from a wide area, so that's always an interesting and diverse crowd.

As I said, we're happy, but not everyone would be. But I think that could be said about any place.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:53 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,017 times
Things to note. Oak Forest's HOA is worthless. They have deed restrictions and none are enforceable. The only way they can enforce them is to take mandatory dues. It is very hard to get support to make that change. I doubt it will ever happen. Actually, a second of Garden Oaks is voluntary, but the restrictions are still enforced. So, be careful who you buy a house next door to. Garden Oaks has fairly strict deed restrictions. You can get large lots in Oak Forest. My buddy bought a 11000sqft one. Garden Oaks is about 20% more expensive than Oak Forest. Parts of Oak Forest are not zoned to Oak Forest Elementary. Garden Oaks is going to get a brand new school in 2-3 years. It was passed in the HISD bond. I think Black Middle will be a solid school in a few years. You can use the HS magnet system and send your kids anywhere. You need to get a good realtor to buy a house there. As the person above stated. You must act in one day. There is a reason why it is the hottest area in all of Houston by a long shot. I saw a real estate report on sales in Houston. It blew away any other area. Good to hear about LA Fitness. My buddy said a house went for 1mil and another for 1.2 over there. All happy news for me

Old 08-07-2013, 01:09 PM

561 posts, read 972,433 times
Hmm seems like the folks that are looking to move into this area are not so much young and single, but older, married with a kid or two?

I like Cottonwood, but i did notice a lot of stroller pushers and kids there, which doesn't bother me, just an observation.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:16 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,580 times
its a lot of young families moving in from the suburbs. i dont understand the appeal, but yes prices have certainly jumped. it is much closer to the heights if that is an area of town you tend to hang out in. driving to montrose or downtown isnt so convenient. i dont see it becoming the new heights, but for awhile into the future the price may be about the same. lots are small unless you get a double or triple. have seen those. if you buy an existing home with one of those weird floor plans - consider what you will be selling your home against 10-12 years into the future. a LOT of tear downs and rebuilds there. existing homes will have hard time comparing. bellaire went through the same thing.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:23 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,017 times
I would not say old. I think it is a 20s, 30s. and early 40s area. It is not a single area at all though. Though I do know two single girls up in that area. They wanted a house and bought before it went way up in price.

I understand the appeal. It is much nicer than the Heights. There are not poor people mixed all around and crappy old apartment complexes. It is more of a family area. I think the prices will soon approach the Heights because of the good schools and no poor people around.

I find Heights a strange area. It is the most over priced area in Houston in my opinion. It is crazy expensive to live down the street from some crappy old apartments. Some of the pockets of the Heights are down right scary. Heights people are hardcore about their neighborhood. Don't get me wrong I like it. My next house might be in the Heights.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:31 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,580 times
i see garden oaks and oak forest as having a lot of poor areas. it appears much more transitional than the heights. there are tons of crappy apts in the area. great neighborhoods can survive crappy apt neighbors but that area still has a lot. i ended up buying in westbury after putting down for a home in oak forest because oak forest was more transitional/mix of commercial and homes than i wanted.

but it is most definitely the next bellaire. that doesnt equate to a good deal across the board

Old 08-07-2013, 01:34 PM

366 posts, read 797,197 times
All the ones I know that live in Garden Oaks are early to mid 30s, have newborns or toddlers, and are married with advanced degrees. They all moved from the inner loop near the Memorial/Heights clover.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:56 PM

568 posts, read 1,128,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
i see garden oaks and oak forest as having a lot of poor areas. it appears much more transitional than the heights. there are tons of crappy apts in the area. great neighborhoods can survive crappy apt neighbors but that area still has a lot. i ended up buying in westbury after putting down for a home in oak forest because oak forest was more transitional/mix of commercial and homes than i wanted.

but it is most definitely the next bellaire. that doesnt equate to a good deal across the board
So that is true. Hmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: