Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 01:18 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,439,628 times

Advertisements

Just visited the Flying Saucer Pie company for the first time today.

I ordered up a peaches and cream and a coconut cream.

The coconut cream was good, but I think My Dee Dee's has a much better coconut cream.

Now, the peaches and cream. Oh, yummy, yummy, yummy for my tummy.

Both pies came to about $23.

I'll be returning to try their key lime, pecan and strawberry pies.

I'll definitely have a craving for that peaches and cream each summer now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 01:28 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,835,741 times
A north Houston institution. We've been going there since the early 80's. My wife's family always want pies instead of birthday cakes, so I end up picking them up since I work relatively close by (south of the Heights). Chocolate cream and strawberry are great, and pecan is a good one too. I'll have to check on the peaches and cream!

Old 08-07-2013, 04:13 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,749,615 times
I love flying saucer pies. I remember when they were 6 dollars each and the only took cash and checks.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:18 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,885,775 times
They sell by the slice. We get a "sampler" of slices, which is a good way to do it for a couple.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
I love flying saucer pies. I remember when they were 6 dollars each and the only took cash and checks.
Try $3.25 each. I think that was the price I paid back in 81 or 82.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:34 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,641,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
They sell by the slice. We get a "sampler" of slices, which is a good way to do it for a couple.
That is always what we do. We get slices. Yum.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:56 PM

34 posts, read 54,346 times
I went to Flying Saucer a few weeks ago to find out why all of those people are waiting in line for hours during Thanksgiving. We ordered an apple, coconut cream, and chocolate and I have to say I don't understand the hype. Don't get me wrong, the pies aren't bad but definitely not worth that kind of wait.

I would easily say that the pies are better at House of Pies and I think the best chocolate one I've had so far was at the Sunflower Bakery in Galveston. Maybe I just need to try a different variety next time because maybe I'm missing something they specialize in. Any suggestions?

Old 08-07-2013, 06:34 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,353,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuykendall View Post
I went to Flying Saucer a few weeks ago to find out why all of those people are waiting in line for hours during Thanksgiving. We ordered an apple, coconut cream, and chocolate and I have to say I don't understand the hype. Don't get me wrong, the pies aren't bad but definitely not worth that kind of wait.

I would easily say that the pies are better at House of Pies and I think the best chocolate one I've had so far was at the Sunflower Bakery in Galveston. Maybe I just need to try a different variety next time because maybe I'm missing something they specialize in. Any suggestions?
Yeah, Flying Saucer is pretty good, but not great, IMO. The best pie's I've had are from the Pie in the Sky Pie Co. They are located in Conroe, but have a booth every year at the Nutcracker Market. Best pecan pie and butter milk pies ever.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:

I think it is more of a tradition thing. We got them as kids, and to us back then it was the best thing in the world. A very fond memory we can recreate for the holidays. They are totally fresh, no preservatives, and hand made, but yes, I agree, I've had better pies other places too.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:23 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,477,296 times
Quote:

Ditto. And over priced. But I think for most people, it is the tradition, that's why they line up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: