Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 01:18 PM

101 posts, read 245,270 times

Advertisements

It's hard to imagine a place in the South with 25% Asians. How many of these are Chinese? Is there a Chinatown in Sugar Land? Any good Asian restaurants, shops, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2006, 01:42 PM

8 posts, read 54,922 times
I don't know what thread your refering too with the 25% figure, however, Sugar land has alot of Asians (which includes East Indians as well). They started moving towards Sugar Land (from Alief which was the biggest Asian community) when the crime rate (including alot of gang activitity) invaded the Alief area. Alief is full of apartment complexes, and my Dad has taught there since 1980. He has personally watched it go down hill, starting slowly in the mid 1980s.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy444 View Post
I don't know what thread your refering too with the 25% figure, however, Sugar land has alot of Asians (which includes East Indians as well). They started moving towards Sugar Land (from Alief which was the biggest Asian community) when the crime rate (including alot of gang activitity) invaded the Alief area. Alief is full of apartment complexes, and my Dad has taught there since 1980. He has personally watched it go down hill, starting slowly in the mid 1980s.
I thought that it would be a good thing because there would be more Asian restaurants, shops, etc. and since Asians usually value education and hard work, there would be less crimes, good schools, higher property value, etc, but it seems to me that you think it would be a bad thing. Which groups of Asians are the ones that causes trouble and the "down hill"?

Old 10-14-2006, 03:05 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,678,014 times
The main problem is a lot of the people that are adults that move to the states from the Asian countries do not feel very safe w/ going to the police. So the gangs picked up on it. Tends to be more Asian gangs that do this as they can speak their language and they know this. They would rob the Asian owned businesses and the owners would not report it. Most police departments became aware of the problems and started getting liasons to work with the Asian communities so that a strong bond and trust would develop between the business owners and residents and it has worked. There are still a few which is to be expected. It has really helped in areas that the police force has recruited Asians on to their police force to help target these problems.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
The main problem is a lot of the people that are adults that move to the states from the Asian countries do not feel very safe w/ going to the police. So the gangs picked up on it. Tends to be more Asian gangs that do this as they can speak their language and they know this. They would rob the Asian owned businesses and the owners would not report it. Most police departments became aware of the problems and started getting liasons to work with the Asian communities so that a strong bond and trust would develop between the business owners and residents and it has worked. There are still a few which is to be expected. It has really helped in areas that the police force has recruited Asians on to their police force to help target these problems.

The way you describe it seems more like in New York than in a suburb like Sugar Land. Unless these business owners are illegal immigrants, why would they be uncomfortable going to the police? Is harrassement by gangs common in Houston or Sugar Land?

What's with the Asian gangs...are they usually young kids born in the United States or just gangs from other countries that are doing "business" here in America? Why would an Asian kid born or raised in the United States join the gang when they usually have high IQ to do well in school and be able to go to college easily?

If those are not kids raised in the United States, maybe it's the U.S. policy that's going wrong with allowing low skills workers into the country from other nations, while it should make it easier to allow college graduates from other countries to come here to go to graduate schools and allow them to stay, especially those who study medicine or science, because that's what the U.S. is lacking. I am little off topic here...

Other than all those criminal activities, including murder, robbery, etc. by Katrina evacuees and gang activities, Sugar Land/Houston is a very nice place to live.. yeah.. no... maybe?

Old 10-14-2006, 05:26 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcity View Post
The way you describe it seems more like in New York than in a suburb like Sugar Land. Unless these business owners are illegal immigrants, why would they be uncomfortable going to the police? Is harrassement by gangs common in Houston or Sugar Land?

What's with the Asian gangs...are they usually young kids born in the United States or just gangs from other countries that are doing "business" here in America? Why would an Asian kid born or raised in the United States join the gang when they usually have high IQ to do well in school and be able to go to college easily?

If those are not kids raised in the United States, maybe it's the U.S. policy that's going wrong with allowing low skills workers into the country from other nations, while it should make it easier to allow college graduates from other countries to come here to go to graduate schools and allow them to stay, especially those who study medicine or science, because that's what the U.S. is lacking. I am little off topic here...

Other than all those criminal activities, including murder, robbery, etc. by Katrina evacuees and gang activities, Sugar Land/Houston is a very nice place to live.. yeah.. no... maybe?
The crime issues are in the southwest Houston area where there are lots of apartments. Not Sugar Land. Sugar Land is a different city (though right next to Houston) with its own police dept and a much wealthier and better educated population than the neighboring parts of Houston it borders.

Yes, there are many Asians in Sugar Land. And I just read an article that said Fort Bend County, where Sugar Land is, has the lowest per-capita crime rates of the Houston metro. However, I am not aware of Sugar Land having a Chinatown. Houston has two of them.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:18 PM

Which Part of Fort Bend is the best....East, South East, West, etc.??? And which part should one avoid??

Last edited by hotcity; 10-17-2006 at 11:30 PM..

Old 10-18-2006, 09:41 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcity View Post
Which Part of Fort Bend is the best....East, South East, West, etc.??? And which part should one avoid??
As central as possible. I'd avoid east (far east Missouri City... western Missouri City is okay), and some parts of far north Sugar Land. I don't know much about west (Richmond etc) so can't speak for them.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:41 PM

1,334 posts, read 6,420,659 times
Quote:
Why would an Asian kid born or raised in the United States join the gang when they usually have high IQ to do well in school and be able to go to college easily?
Interesting that one could get away with such a statement. If instead, they replaced 'Asian Kid' with 'White Kid'...some people would be in an uproar.

If, per se, one assumes Asians have high IQ's then I suppose by the same logic other races tend to have low IQ's?

Old 10-18-2006, 04:22 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,356,438 times
The American Factfinder portion of the U.S. Census Bureau's website offers detailed profiles of states, metro areas, counties and cities with a population of 65,000 or more (i.e. Sugar Land) and the data is more recent (from mid-2005) than the official Census in 2000.

http://factfinder.census.gov/home/sa....html?_lang=en

Sugar Land's Asian population has increased from 24% Asian in 2000 to 32% Asian just five years later which is a massive increase. It has the highest concentration of Asians in Texas. The breakdown of different Asian groups and what percentage (rounded) they represent of Sugar Land's population as a whole is:

Asian Indian - 10%
Chinese - 9%
Filipino - 6%
Japanese - <1%
Korean - 1%
Vietnamese - 3%
Other - 2% (this includes Pakistani, Cambodian, Laotian, Bangladeshi, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston