Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:38 PM

11 posts, read 14,505 times

Advertisements

I have been asked to relocate (recently) and am in a crunch because my son will be starting school in the next few weeks and I've got to find a permanent residence. I do have a temporary apartment in downtown, but I want to move to a larger, more walkable area in the next month. I'm in my early 30s and single, but also have young son with me so that's a primary factor.

Here are my primary considerations:
(1) Must be safe
(2) Close in proximity to great restaurants, pubs, clubs, coffee shops, lounges, etc. with professional singles in their 20s-30s. Ideally within walking distance.
(3) Close in proximity to parks, museums, etc.
(4) Close in proximity to my work (in Downtown)

I've heard Montrose, the Heights and West U would be my best bets. I've also heard Montrose is primarily gay/lesbian (please note I have nothing against this - I just want to make sure there are singles who would be into me there as well!), Heights is still in "transition" and West U is primarily families (not so many singles) although may be safer than the others.

I am just confused at this point. To note, budget isn't an issue for me... I have a relatively high budget for rent (I will be renting, not buying) and want a 3+ BD place. Also my son will be going to a private school near all 3 of those neighborhoods, so public schools aren't a consideration either.

Please help! I have to make a decision quickly and I welcome any suggestions you guys have! Thanks so much...

Last edited by phoenixscienter; 08-11-2013 at 09:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 10:16 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscienter View Post
I have been asked to relocate (recently) and am in a crunch because my son will be starting school in the next few weeks and I've got to find a permanent residence. I do have a temporary apartment in downtown, but I want to move to a larger, more walkable area in the next month. I'm in my early 30s and single, but also have young son with me so that's a primary factor.

Here are my primary considerations:
(1) Must be safe
(2) Close in proximity to great restaurants, pubs, clubs, coffee shops, lounges, etc. with professional singles in their 20s-30s. Ideally within walking distance.
(3) Close in proximity to parks, museums, etc.
(4) Close in proximity to my work (in Downtown)

I've heard Montrose, the Heights and West U would be my best bets. I've also heard Montrose is primarily gay/lesbian (please note I have nothing against this - I just want to make sure there are singles who would be into me there as well!), Heights is still in "transition" and West U is primarily families (not so many singles) although may be safer than the others.

I am just confused at this point. To note, budget isn't an issue for me... I have a relatively high budget for rent (I will be renting, not buying) and want a 3+ BD place. Also my son will be going to a private school near all 3 of those neighborhoods, so public schools aren't a consideration either.

Please help! I have to make a decision quickly and I welcome any suggestions you guys have! Thanks so much...
What is relatively high budget? Houston's gotten more expensive over the years. Several years ago in Houston, you could rent a 3 BR for just over $2000 in a really nice place. Now it's well over $3000, or just rent a townhouse or house, which will probably still be at least in that >$3000 price range.

I think midtown is more a younger crowd. For walking distance with a large budget I would look at:
1) Anything near Rice Village
2) Heights near Heights Blvd
3) Townhouses near the Montrose Whole Foods and new Regent Square development - great access to Buffalo Bayou

Old 08-11-2013, 10:25 PM

Thanks so much for your insight. My budget is up to $5k per month (although I'd like to stay under that if possible). I've done some light searching and it seems I can definitely find a 3 + Bedroom that's nice within that range (I do want a nice place -- meaning nice modern kitchen, space, preferably a garage, etc.)

Does Rice Village have a lot of single professionals? I keep hearing West U/Rice Village either has college-aged people or families (meaning not much of a dating scene or late 20s/early 30s singles mingling). If I'm wrong about that, that does probably jump to the front of the list because I know it's a very safe area (compared to Montrose and the Heights which are probably relatively safe but not as safe as that area).

How are those areas for walkability?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-12-2013, 07:37 AM

I appreciate any insight folks can give me on those neighborhoods (i.e., what their limitations are with respect to the 4 criteria I desire). I'm hoping I can find the perfect neighborhood and then try and find the perfect place within same.

For example, is it true that West U/Rice Village are primarily families and/or college aged folks? (i.e., few 25-35 year old single women?) Are there many single women who go out/live in the Montrose or Heights areas? Are Montrose and Heights not safe? Etc.

Thanks again in advance! I'm just a little desperate because I have to make this move within the next few weeks and it's very stressful doing it while trying to account for my son as well.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:54 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
You really need to find a good realtor, who knows the ins and outs of the areas. Houston is a tricky real estate market because you can have a safe area next to a scary one.

The Heights can be hit or miss when it comes to safety and public schools. With your budget, you should be able to find something in the safe parts. I think this would be a great area for you. The commute would be decent and there would be singles in your age range.

Montrose is more diverse than most people think these days, and not primarily "gay". (Many have moved to areas like Westbury and revitalizing those areas, as they are priced out of Montrose.) I think the area is really great and has a fun funky vibe. It is the most walkable IMO. There will be all ages of singles here.

West U/Rice Village has lots of families and younger singles and is very pricey compared to the other two areas.

Good Luck!

Old 08-12-2013, 08:15 AM

Thanks so much, Mayerland. I've scheduled a tour of the different neighborhoods this Thursday with a realtor and I'm excited to see them but I'm just apprehensive about making a decision on a one-time tour (during the day, no less) without a feel for what the nightlife looks like.

I'm leaning towards Montrose or the Heights (near Heights Blvd as someone already suggested). Rice Village just seems too "developed" for me but I want to see it.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:00 AM

30 posts, read 55,743 times
Upper Kirby is another are you should look at. Lot of high end places. Walkable with great restaurants and shopping as well as bars. Lot of young professionals. Less kids just out of college as the price range pushes them out, though there will always be some.

We lived in the area for 3 years and absolutely loved it.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:31 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,041 times
I have lived in Montrose for years. While it is known as a gay area and has the highest concentration of gay people. There are still few around. I very rarely see any. I have also lived in West U for many years. You will need that 5K budget for West U. The most fun areas for young adults are Heights, Montrose, and Midtown. I have never not felt safe where I am. It is no West U which has very low crime. I think the Heights would be a great place for kids. I think you will find lots of single moms in that area too. I know quite a few actually. Some parts are transitioning and others have much further. I think that is the best balance for what you will want. Then again I think you might have to look at multiple neighborhoods due to lack of inventory. Search on Har.com I would look at Martha Turner or Greenwood King for realtors. They generally handle the higher end properties.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:40 AM

785 posts, read 1,234,808 times
Where in downtown are you currently at?

I think you should still consider Midtown, since the singles scene seems pretty important to you. You should also consider Washington Ave, which may not be the "hot spot" anymore but is still a great place to live for singles.

Like a previous poster said, Montrose is no longer primarily gay/lesbian (we've been chased out already, thanks ) but it's walkable areas tend to be more divey/hipster/alternative. Doesn't really sound like your scene.

Heights is a good choice too. Stick close to Heights Blvd and 19th Street, or Heights Blvd and White Oak Dr, and you should be fine. Plenty of singles there, and young couples.

Another recommendation is West Ave (lofts) in Upper Kirby. Should be in your budget and single women will be lining up outside your door once they find out you live there.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:51 AM

Schumacher - thanks so much for your insights. It does seem like Heights would be a better bet for me given what you and crono said about Montrose being hipster (I'm kind of past that phase in my life... I'm usually in a suit lol). I'll need those introductions to the nice, single mothers if I do move there

Crono - REALLY helpful advice my friend. Thanks so much. I am currently living at One Park Place (right on Discovery Green) and think the high rise thing may not be for me (since I have my son with me). One Park is nice, but I find that downtown is a ghost town after 6 pm most every day and I want some nightlife around me (or close by) so I don't feel like I'm completely alone in a new city. I did a google search on the West Ave lofts - are you talking about the Gables West Ave apartments? Or something else?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: