Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 05:52 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that with the Grand Parkway, Tomball and Cypress are gonna be short drive away from this campus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 07:28 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Keep in mind that with the Grand Parkway, Tomball and Cypress are gonna be short drive away from this campus
Sarcasm?

Tomball to Springwoods ok. But Cypress to Springwoods will be a long commute. Cypress and The Woodlands are rapidly growing in population and the Grand Parkway will fill up with traffic just like Beltway 8 has filled up with traffic between Jersey Village and Greenspoint. That entire northwest region is exploding with master planned communities that will make the Grand Parkway a nightmare during rush hour.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
Anyway, I believe that moving to this campus was a mistake. The company is now pushing more of their own employees that arent living in the immediate area to drive even further. Skewing the average commute time exponentially.

Having their office downtown has so many more benefits. But Exxon is a business and did what was most economical and positively affect their bottom line. Downtown/Heights/East Downtown/Uptown are all going through a renaissance of sorts and unfortunately for Exxon employees, they must either commute further or miss out. One thing I do know about real estate, Location,location,location. Although that rule seems to be more moot in Houston than many other cities.
I bet that Exxon will experience negative turnover from many employees who live in Katy/West Houston due to the commute issue. Hopefully their Geographer did not overlook or forget to tell them this in his report/presentation.

But one thing is for sure, the Downtown Exxon employees are going to miss the tunnel food and the lively tunnel life during the daily lunch break. Getting lunch in the new HQ means getting back in your car and risk losing a parking space coming back.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:35 PM

139 posts, read 356,103 times
Exactly right. Many of my colleagues live in West U, South Hampton, Afton Oaks, and a few in River Oaks. Primarily because of the location to the Medical Center. But like you mentioned, not a single one sends their kids public schools in the area. The advantage of the burbs are you have, for the most part, really good public schools. It not that I can't afford to live in West U or send my kids to Private school, but I think the public school in many of the burbs, like Sugar Land, Katy, Memorial, Friendswood, etc. are really good. Plus the burbs have a more conservative bend which I prefer.

I don't think Exxon will have any issues hiring people to work for them, or finding enough experienced hires in key technical fields. My cousin interviewed at both Exxon and Shell last year for a position in the Petroleum Engineering Discipline, and ended up taking the Exxon offer. It is definitely a good time to be an experienced Engineer, Geologist, or Geophysicist with 10+ years O&G experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Not so. Some can afford the city easily but can't afford to send their kids to a private school because regardless of all the "down to earth" people who live in the city 70% still send their kids to every private school they can throw money at rather than send them to the HISD zoned school and don't want to deal with the magnet lotto. After elementary school it gets dicey. I mean really the only wealthy to decent upper people who send their kids to the zoned schools live in West U.

City live is a compromise up front on something. Usually schools. It's I love that house but you know you'll be knocking on Kincaid's doors or St John or wherever or trying to bribe or whatever to win big on the magnet lotto.

I just met a family who live in Katy who can easily live in the city and the mom loves the city life but Katy ISD is better she said for what her special needs son needs so they choose suburbs.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:44 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I bet that Exxon will experience negative turnover from many employees who live in Katy/West Houston due to the commute issue. Hopefully their Geographer did not overlook or forget to tell them this in his report/presentation.

But one thing is for sure, the Downtown Exxon employees are going to miss the tunnel food and the lively tunnel life during the daily lunch break. Getting lunch in the new HQ means getting back in your car and risk losing a parking space coming back.
Good luck driving on Rayford-Sawdust traffic during lunch hour.
At least they'll have Rudy's and other places just South of there

Old 08-15-2013, 08:13 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

There's going to be so many services available on that campus people aren't going to be driving anywhere for lunch unless they really want to. A tunnel with a shopping mall style food court isn't going to draw away from a brand new, well laid out campus.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:16 PM

568 posts, read 1,128,962 times
I was thinking that too. Isn't this campus self contained, meaning in addition to work, they are going to provide childcare etc... So unless you just really want to leave campus to eat, there won't be a need to.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:22 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejamiller View Post
I was thinking that too. Isn't this campus self contained, meaning in addition to work, they are going to provide childcare etc... So unless you just really want to leave campus to eat, there won't be a need to.
Exactly, not only will there be just about any kind of service anyone would ever need or want (food, dry cleaners, daycare, etc etc ) but there's going to be so many small businesses popping up around there or expanding just to cater to that campus so any kind of food that isn't on the campus will be just a delivery call away. There's even going to be a small Exxon branded gas station on the campus itself with a carwash.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,990,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDinTelfair View Post
Exactly right. Many of my colleagues live in West U, South Hampton, Afton Oaks, and a few in River Oaks. Primarily because of the location to the Medical Center. But like you mentioned, not a single one sends their kids public schools in the area. The advantage of the burbs are you have, for the most part, really good public schools. It not that I can't afford to live in West U or send my kids to Private school, but I think the public school in many of the burbs, like Sugar Land, Katy, Memorial, Friendswood, etc. are really good. Plus the burbs have a more conservative bend which I prefer.

I don't think Exxon will have any issues hiring people to work for them, or finding enough experienced hires in key technical fields. My cousin interviewed at both Exxon and Shell last year for a position in the Petroleum Engineering Discipline, and ended up taking the Exxon offer. It is definitely a good time to be an experienced Engineer, Geologist, or Geophysicist with 10+ years O&G experience.
Exactly. I'm not saying the suburbs are perfect by any means but you're 8/10 more likely to get everything you could possibly want. Space? Check. Pool? Check? Good/great schools so you're not shelling out extra money? Check. That money you save for those 2 kids is a investment in a vacation rental. Rich people like to be cheap too. Anyone regardless of income who can save a good chunk of money on something doesn't mind.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:20 PM

224 posts, read 527,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
The vibe from Exxon that I've gotten from former employees, and current people industry is that it is a very cut throat, no frills company. They pay the most out of most any other companies out there period. But their militiristic style with an expectation of total commitment from their employees is what has made many people that I've talked to turn down Exxon. I have a few coworkers who got offers from them, broke down the hourly pay and realized Exxon come out on top by only cents. They opted for the work-life balance. Although having Exxon on your resume gives you a big leg-up getting into any other company O&G and beyond.(My frame of reference is with the engineering/technical field)
Exxon is known for its militaristic, top-down command style and has made the company incredibly successful over the years. However, the other majors are better employers. Exxon controls your destiny (career path) wheras at Shell or Chevron you can create your own career path and apply internally for jobs and most likely get what you want. They all pay very good. Interesting how Exxon is moving to the burbs and Chevron is creating their campus downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston