Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 12:32 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,935,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Lower level is the most easily understood and the most visible, plus, many of us, well some of us, deal with lower level crime all the time. (Retail people?) Sometimes when the general public finds out about these huge schemes, they may not even understand how it was possible at first given the immensity of the crime, but it's because people are focusing on low level crimes, or don't believe that in reality, anyone is capable of committing a crime, but some are more capable, the conditions just have to be right. I remember reading about a guy who started a business and he started off honestly but eventually realized that he couldn't sustain his business honestly and he had put everything he owned into it, so he kept lying and cheating. Not that it was right, but it was what I think a lot of people would do given the situation.
Yes, but the whole 'personal responsibility', 'you have a choice' canard the right wing pumps out on a daily basis has obstructed the whole view of crime. People realize less how much conditions compel people to commit crimes and fraud.

THAT DOESN'T EXCUSE their actions, (for all you conservatives in here), but it does point to some rather systemic cracks in our system. There are many factors which push people into crime, but a major factor is environment and conditions. On pain of extinction, some businesses will do bad things to maintain their profit marginability. This is a reality. The same goes for individuals in poor desperate conditions.

I think this is a more holistic way of looking at crime in our society rather than the simplistic black and white comic view of good vs evil we tend to have in the States, and especially in the Bible belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 12:49 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,124,466 times
For me, less so than political ideology it really hinges on general awareness and impartiality, which is difficult and some would say nearly impossible to have, but it is an admirable goal. You can really point the finger at a number of different sociological factors.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:21 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,865,781 times
It's definitely not just Houston. For example, people who move here to Austin are surprised at our property crime. It's horrible. Even the best neighborhoods have it. I live in an area where property values are very high, but we've even had home invasions. House and car break-ins are common even in the very best neighborhoods here.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:52 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,017,770 times
the original article is down so i dont know which crime OP is referring to. is it the drive by in "West" Houston? The photos of the homes look nice. looks like a nice neighborhood. someone from the west coast or NE probably thinks they are in a rich neighborhood. it's not. if you saw the interviews of the neighbors on TV you'd probably more easily jump to the understanding it is in a downward slump. they interviewed what looked to be a teenage pregnant woman in booty shorts with a neck tattoo. there are some parts outside of houston that are changing at a dramatic rate as homes within the beltway are getting to be unaffordable for most people in the area. im not saying the woman in the booty shorts is a bad person - but i doubt the neighborhood actually fits a lot of the commenters idea of a "nice" place. my job requires me to drive out to various neighborhoods in houston about 4-6 times a week. ive lived here for more than 25 years. the change i see is really crazy. the people may not have a lot of money but they kept the outside of their homes and yards in good shape. i dont have a problem with people like that. sad about the targeted crime

Old 08-17-2013, 02:54 PM

1,903 posts, read 3,203,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
the original article is down so i dont know which crime OP is referring to. is it the drive by in "West" Houston? The photos of the homes look nice. looks like a nice neighborhood. someone from the west coast or NE probably thinks they are in a rich neighborhood. it's not. if you saw the interviews of the neighbors on TV you'd probably more easily jump to the understanding it is in a downward slump. they interviewed what looked to be a teenage pregnant woman in booty shorts with a neck tattoo. there are some parts outside of houston that are changing at a dramatic rate as homes within the beltway are getting to be unaffordable for most people in the area. im not saying the woman in the booty shorts is a bad person - but i doubt the neighborhood actually fits a lot of the commenters idea of a "nice" place. my job requires me to drive out to various neighborhoods in houston about 4-6 times a week. ive lived here for more than 25 years. the change i see is really crazy. the people may not have a lot of money but they kept the outside of their homes and yards in good shape. i dont have a problem with people like that. sad about the targeted crime
What changes have you seen in 25 years?

Old 08-17-2013, 02:59 PM

1,903 posts, read 3,203,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
What are people in Austin doing about that? I know for a fact that there are very nice suburban neighborhoods in the Northeast, Midwest, and Pacific Northwest where crime is so infrequent that it seems almost nonexistent. Yes, crime can and still does happen there, but it is MUCH less than the 'safest' areas of Houston. I am just curious why. There are certainly factors that caused this. I have heard that suburban Florida, especially Orlando, Miami, and Tampa is MUCH worse than Houston. There has to be concrete reasons why that is and we can learn from what works and what doesn't work to improve from there.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:23 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,009,172 times
^Says a college student in AZ who has probably never set foot in Texas, let alone Houston.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:55 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,873,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
What are people in Austin doing about that? I know for a fact that there are very nice suburban neighborhoods in the Northeast, Midwest, and Pacific Northwest where crime is so infrequent that it seems almost nonexistent. Yes, crime can and still does happen there, but it is MUCH less than the 'safest' areas of Houston. I am just curious why. There are certainly factors that caused this. I have heard that suburban Florida, especially Orlando, Miami, and Tampa is MUCH worse than Houston. There has to be concrete reasons why that is and we can learn from what works and what doesn't work to improve from there.
I'm going to guess that's its all of the unincorporated areas that stretches the police departments too thin and they have too much area to cover.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:56 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,767,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
^Says a college student in AZ who has probably never set foot in Texas, let alone Houston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
I mean, none of this should come as a shock--Houston is one of the most ghetto cities in the country. There are miles and miles of slums within Houston city limits.
The Houston you don't see (fifth ward from 2010):

The Houston You Don't See - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 08-18-2013, 11:09 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,009,172 times
^Good grief, I never said there were no bad areas. Being from Chicago, you should know all about that in big cities.

But a troll, is a troll, is a troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: