Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 10:40 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,059 times

Advertisements

http://khou.mlnwap.com/article.html#...853fb9918dbae8

I've heard of far too many people get robbed, stalked or burgled in 'good areas' of this city. Sure our overall crime rate is OK compared to other cities, but it's that a lot of it seems to happen in the 'good areas.' Why isn't more being done about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 10:47 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,804 times
I guess I find it more disturbing that you are disturbed only because of where crime occurs. I mean, do you think poor people like getting mugged, carjacked, burgled, murdered?

Old 08-14-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
I guess I find it more disturbing that you are disturbed only because of where crime occurs. I mean, do you think poor people like getting mugged, carjacked, burgled, murdered?
Nope I am not only disturbed of where crime occurs. I strongly believe that crime should not be tolerated. I feel very sorry for what poor people in this city have to go through.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:22 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,269 times
Some people think I'm paranoid and almost creepy that I have 3 security cameras in my home (two of them always keeping an eye in the front and back of the house) and have several firearms, one being in my vehicle. We don't live in a romantic time that portrays the American dream any longer...crime happens everywhere and at any time. Stories like this help me to always keep my eyes peeled (but not so much that I can't enjoy life). It's simply a habit that has been ingrained into me since the military.

I'm always surprised when I visit a friends home to find that they leisurely leave the garage doors open for half a day over weekends, and their home doors unlocked at times.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
Some people think I'm paranoid and almost creepy that I have 3 security cameras in my home (two of them always keeping an eye in the front and back of the house) and have several firearms, one being in my vehicle. We don't live in a romantic time that portrays the American dream any longer...crime happens everywhere and at any time. Stories like this help me to always keep my eyes peeled (but not so much that I can't enjoy life). It's simply a habit that has been ingrained into me since the military.

I'm always surprised when I visit a friends home to find that they leisurely leave the garage doors open for half a day over weekends, and their home doors unlocked at times.
I'm all for being prepared and armed. That being said, it seems like there is a lot of crime in the 'good areas' of Houston compared to other cities I've lived in or am aware of. What that said, I know it's not just a Houston phenomenon, I've heard that crime can be terrible in a lot of Florida cities 'good areas' as well as Memphis, NOLA, Las Vegas, etc. But while crime can happen anywhere, places in this country do still exist where it happens so infrequently that most residents don't have alarms, etc.

It just seems that crime is much higher here than in the good areas of many cities (and especially the nicer burbs) in the Northeast, Midwest, and Pacific Northwest.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:36 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Education

I think crime has to do more with the education level of those commiting crimes than what part of the city the crime is commited in. Look at most mug shots, prison documentaries (NatGeo) etc., and one thing is clear, those are not the cream of the crop as far as education goes. Of course, I could be wrong.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
I'm all for being prepared and armed. That being said, it seems like there is a lot of crime in the 'good areas' of Houston compared to other cities I've lived in or am aware of. What that said, I know it's not just a Houston phenomenon, I've heard that crime can be terrible in a lot of Florida cities 'good areas' as well as Memphis, NOLA, Las Vegas, etc. But while crime can happen anywhere, places in this country do still exist where it happens so infrequently that most residents don't have alarms, etc.

It just seems that crime is much higher here than in the good areas of many cities (and especially the nicer burbs) in the Northeast, Midwest, and Pacific Northwest.
It's probably a trending of crime practices. Following people home isn't anything new, but it seems to be much more frequent over the past couple years. I hear what your saying though. Criminals do seem to be more advantageous lately in the middle to upper class neighborhoods. If one crook gets away with it, others probably think it's easy peasy.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:46 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
http://khou.mlnwap.com/article.html#...853fb9918dbae8

I've heard of far too many people get robbed, stalked or burgled in 'good areas' of this city. Sure our overall crime rate is OK compared to other cities, but it's that a lot of it seems to happen in the 'good areas.' Why isn't more being done about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
I am confused. If our overall crime rate is not high, compared to other cities - and you are not saying that it shouldn't just be in areas where people are poor - what are you saying? jerbear brought up a valid point.

It is much more concentrated in poorer areas - that is normal. That is why, when you drive through some of the poor areas, you will see so many burglar bars - unlike in nice areas. If they make burglar bars a priority budget item where money is tight, pay attention.

The fact remains that if you live in a nice area, you have an alarm system, a watchful neighborhood, and are not known for having large sums of cash (say, a restaurant owner) - you statistically go way down in the probability of a crime.

You don't have to be Fort Knox - just do enough to make it easier to go somewhere else. Do the alarm, the neighborhood involvement - throw in a dog - and you have just made yourself too much trouble.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post

You don't have to be Fort Knox - just do enough to make it easier to go somewhere else. Do the alarm, the neighborhood involvement - throw in a dog - and you have just made yourself too much trouble.
So true. Too much trouble is always a deterrent for thieves, and this is why most criminals go for the easy targets in poor areas. Although, the new gas station 'sliding' theft is just crazy. Having to lock your car door and look over your shoulder just to pump gas makes things just miserable at times...reminds me of the day to day anarchy that you'd see in the classic movie "Robocop".

'Slider' Thieves a New Risk for Women in Cars, Purses Being Swiped at Gas Stations | Video - ABC News

Old 08-14-2013, 11:55 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,363 times
Well, no one ever realizes it but in many cities where public transportation is a more viable option, accessibility and mobility are often issues in the case of home invasion. Granted, most robbers will take a car, but think how difficult it could be to rob a place in SoHo if you don't live in the area, given the density and traffic. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm still just remember reading about a guy who robbed a bank in a nicer area of Boston and tried take the Red Line train to the end, covered in dye, where the cops were waiting for him. Makes me think people with valuables should be pro public transport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: