U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 10:24 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,312,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentenequals20 View Post
It is closed on 3.5 sides and open for about half the side of the room. Can this be used as a media room as well as a small game room?
This is what i have. It's more of a game room and 55" TV room with great audio. I have another gaming setup in one of the rooms. I do switch to headphones if I need to bust an eardrum (if i'm not alone in the house). I also have 2 other TV centers with great audio... one in the 46" kitchen/breakfast nook and one 47" in the living room. I dont want a media *center*. I wanted them available where people actually hangout. I have an extra 47" flat screen and audio gear, ready for the backyard or garage/driveway if the need pops up
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 12:44 PM

34,643 posts, read 18,989,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
Your 2nd bedroom (12x14) is definitely doable. Our media room in our home is the same size. It's a little small, but perfect for our needs. Be sure to use blackout curtains on the bedroom window and do what you can to remove any other light leakage. If you don't mind darker colors, media rooms with projection units almost always need dark walls and ceilings. Lighter walls reflect light easily and will bounce back onto your projector screen. This will cause your video to look washed out and contrast to be lacking.

Here is a photo of my room that is 11 1/2 by 14. We use blackout curtains in the entry way. We have no windows in the room. The screen is 92", but you can probably go larger as you most likely don't have 12" bumpouts as we do. Because your room is smaller, I would suggest using acoustic panels to better separate a 5.1 speaker system. We use it and it made the world of difference!
I had to make a few concessions in order to get my project signed off on by my wife. I originally wanted to do dark acoustic curtains down both side walls. That was vetoed. Then I wanted dark paint with acoustic panels. Finally, I settled with a dark ceiling, medium walls and movie posters instead of a sewing/crafts room. lol. Close enough of a win, so I'll take it.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:45 PM

BTW, the stairs go up to a little 10 x 6 computer nook. Off of it is another attic space where I have the popcorn machine.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:47 PM

201 posts, read 863,759 times
I think all of those bedrooms are too small to hold 6 people comfortably unless you have small chairs or put people really close to the screen. We converted our game room to a home theater room and it works great. Plenty of room for 6 people.

I also like the fact that it's open on one side because the room stays cool. Several of my friends have enclosed home theater rooms, and they get HOT because of all the people and electronics. Well, except for one who had his A/C adjusted to put a lot more air into the room.

You do have to consider the lighting though, as someone else mentioned, because if you're using a projector, you want it pretty dark. If you're going to use an LED or plasma, lighting is much less of a concern. However, having had both a large plasma and now a 144 inch diagonal projection screen, the large screen is pretty awesome. We rarely go to the theater any more because our home setup is so much nicer.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtk View Post
I also like the fact that it's open on one side because the room stays cool. Several of my friends have enclosed home theater rooms, and they get HOT because of all the people and electronics. Well, except for one who had his A/C adjusted to put a lot more air into the room.
Luckily, my theater room has the shortest runs to the AC, so it is the coldest room in the house. During the winter, I have to close the vents to keep it from being the hottest room in the house, but that only takes a minute to do.

It's exceptionally rare for me to go to the theater now. Before getting a HT, I used to hit the movies about every other week. Now, I go about twice a year, excluding the IMAX shows at Moody Gardens.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:25 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,203,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's exceptionally rare for me to go to the theater now. Before getting a HT, I used to hit the movies about every other week. Now, I go about twice a year, excluding the IMAX shows at Moody Gardens.
SO TRUE. I rarely go to the theater as well since we built out our theater room. Honestly, the quality of my AV that I've been continually upgrading over the past couple years provides us a better experience than most theaters. Not including the new AVX experience at Santikos Palladium...now that's Entertainment.

I'll tell you what though, I seriously need to get something to store my Blu Rays. The wife is fairly particular about how things look, so that's why I've been holding off...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston