Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:20 AM

54 posts, read 78,813 times

Advertisements

My husband loves the cypress area and he is very much talking about buying a house in the area. I see from many websites that the price range for this area is mixed. Sometimes I see something very low and some really high. Why is that? How safe is cypress ? If we move there it will be 33 miles from DH office. I think that will make at lest a 1 hour 15 mins drive each way.
I was really thinking about spring or sugar land but he loves the idea of lake front house ( creek -side) . I am still debating because if it is water there , than their will be more Mosquitos . But he says he didn't see much.
Can someone please review about cypress area. About the safety, living and schools.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 10:48 AM

24,012 posts, read 15,106,139 times
Cypress covers a lot of area. Can you be a little more specific?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:49 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,876,500 times
Cypress is just about the same as far as safety, schools, etc as the Woodlands, Kingwood, and much of Sugarland/ Katy. It is just NW of town and since it is a bit further out and many of the areas are not as "master planned" as the others, they are generally cheaper. We've been in the NW area outside the beltway for over 17 years and really like it. If you are looking in any of the newer areas further out 290 such as around Spring/Cypress, Cypress/Rosehill, Fry Rd, Mason Rd., the schools are excellent and so is the area. We have many friends and relatives that live out there and no one has any complaints about mosquitos. Several of them live on the waterways in Sydney Harbor, Town Lake, Bridgeland and Cypress Creek lakes. Mosquitos are generally in stagnant water, and there is probably enough fish and other wildlife in the lakes to eat most of the mosquito eggs and larvae.

The only bad thing about Cypress is the commute especially if you work towards or in downtown. Hopefully that will improve as they redo 290 over the next few years. In peak traffic, your times are right on, but can be more if there is an accident. But in off peak times, you can be downtown in 30-45 min. I try to leave for work either before 7:00 or after 8:30 and I have a 30-35 min, 19 mile commute. And I usually stay at work until after 6:00 to have a 30 min drive home. If we lived out further, I would leave before 6:20 or take the Park N Ride bus to avoid the traffic. The bus is about a 45-50 min ride from Cypress to downtown. I take it often and it is a good option if your office is reasonably close to the bus line.

As you are looking, if you have questions about particular areas, just ask on here and someone will have an answer for you.

Good luck!

Last edited by trbstang; 08-21-2013 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: Spelling!

Old 08-21-2013, 11:32 AM

536 posts, read 1,063,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
The only bad thing about Cypress is the commute especially if you work towards or in downtown. Hopefully that will improve as they redo 290 over the next few years. In peak traffic, your times are right on, but can be more if there is an accident. But in off peak times, you can be downtown in 30-45 min. I try to leave for work either before 7:00 or after 8:30 and I have a 30-35 min, 19 mile commute. And I usually stay at work until after 6:00 to have a 30 min drive home. If we lived out further, I would leave before 6:20 or take the Park N Ride bus to avoid the traffic. The bus is about a 45-50 min ride from Cypress to downtown. I take it often and it is a good option if your office is reasonably close to the bus line.

As you are looking, if you have questions about particular areas, just ask on here and someone will have an answer for you.

Good luck!
This is a good description. I label myself as Cypress although theoretically I'm just in Houston - I live in Copper Lakes. My commute is to the galleria area (approx. 22 miles). Like trbstang I travel outside of peak hours - normally pre 6am or post 9am since I'm fortunate in that my working hours are flexible. It takes me 25 mins if I leave at 5.30 in the morning and about 35-40 mins at about 9. Wrecks on 290 kill traffic times though.

We've never noticed any real issue with mosquitos and the area we are in at least is very safe.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:56 AM

42 posts, read 70,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
Cypress is just about the same as far as safety, schools, etc as the Woodlands, Kingwood, and much of Sugarland/ Katy. It is just NW of town and since it is a bit further out and many of the areas are not as "master planned" as the others, they are generally cheaper. We've been in the NW area outside the beltway for over 17 years and really like it. If you are looking in any of the newer areas further out 290 such as around Spring/Cypress, Cypress/Rosehill, Fry Rd, Mason Rd., the schools are excellent and so is the area. We have many friends and relatives that live out there and no one has any complaints about mosquitos. Several of them live on the waterways in Sydney Harbor, Town Lake, Bridgeland and Cypress Creek lakes. Mosquitos are generally in stagnant water, and there is probably enough fish and other wildlife in the lakes to eat most of the mosquito eggs and larvae.

Good luck!
Thank you for such a nice description .

Old 08-21-2013, 02:36 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,823,849 times
Some neighborhoods I like in Cypress: Towne Lake, Cypress Creek Lakes, Bridgland, Sydney Harbour.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:51 PM

156 posts, read 318,147 times
I love Towne Lake. It's so beautiful but the commute is too far from where I work.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:04 PM

31 posts, read 118,720 times
Have you considered Tomball? I've heard the commute on the 249 getting into Houston isn't as bad as the 290 from Cypress.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:07 PM

536 posts, read 1,063,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb4133 View Post
Have you considered Tomball? I've heard the commute on the 249 getting into Houston isn't as bad as the 290 from Cypress.
I see this on here occasionally and I don't understand it. 249 pretty much becomes a normal road inside the beltway and to go South on the beltway you have to get off onto the feeder, go through a traffic light and then get on the beltway. You still need other freeways to get into Houston and from 249 the natural choice would still be 290.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:25 AM

811 posts, read 1,557,897 times
The good news is they are going to build a connector from 249 Sth to Beltway 8 W which will make a huge difference. Lord knows why they didn't do that when they built the road in the first place! Idiots!

https://www.hctra.org/about_construc...rect-connector
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston