Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:52 AM

799 posts, read 3,693,899 times

Advertisements

Joel Osteen has a gift for attracting people who would never otherwise go to church. As a Christian, I feel that is a good thing. I originally became a Christian after watching his father in T.V . I caught his sermons by accident on Sunday because there was nothing else on and soon I was looking for his program. Traditional church intimidates alot of people and Joel Osteen is a great starting point. I believe he is sincere in what he does which is more then you can say for alot of preachers.Although I am deeper into the faith, I still like to listen to Joel. His calling is to draw you in and give you an idea of what being A Christian is all about, how far you go with it is up to you. Even the devout need to go back to the basics once in awhile.
John Osteen was an awesome person and as far as I am concerned, even his son couldn't really replace him but he is doing a great job carrying on his fathers work, which was to draw people from all walks of life and welcome them to learn about God.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:35 PM

230 posts, read 544,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterik View Post
If Joel Osteen is all about the money, then he should certainly wake up and solicit money on his TV show, which he does NOT do. As a proud agnostic, I totally applaud Joel Osteen and his ministry. He is not about the hateful, exclusionary stuff that is so popular today and that is why he is so popular. I have visited Lakewood, the former location and the new one (I'm agnostic, not close-minded!) and am very impressed.
BTW, if Osteen and family are raking in the millions personally, you have to wonder why they take commercial airline flights instead of a private jet. I think the strongest critics of Lakewood Church come from people who have never been to a Lakewood service.

The People article about him a few weeks ago says he does not fly in private jet due to the drama with getting kicked off the Continental plane a few years ago. I also like the fact he does not ask for money. From what I have read he made a lot of his money from his book. I think he stopped taking a pay check a few years ago from the church.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:18 PM

179 posts, read 858,377 times
I meant over the building. They said his name was on the building.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,773 times
Default Without Sin?

Which one of you are without sin? Let him cast the first stone.
Those who truly believe in Jesus Christ and His ressurection and do the works of His Father and keep His commandments are his disciples. By their fruits you shall know them.

Bear this in mind.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:43 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,398 times
I do like listening to his messages too...The only thing I would add and would like to see him address is the difficulty of being a Christian. You must be able to keep the faith through rough times...and also give gratitude. I think he needs to remind people to not only look to Jesus when you are in need, but also when things are plentiful...

Old 04-28-2008, 12:07 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,787,483 times
Thumbs up Good post tdenby!

I've been meaning to quote this one for awhile . I find it extremely sad that so many people who call themselves 'Christians' are so quick to judge Joel and other TV preachers . Maybe if they spent some more time in God's Word and in His presence, they would realize how pious and self righteous they're being . If you do not agree with these preachers, that is fine with me. But God calls you to pray for them, not act as little gods judging them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdenby View Post
Those who truly believe in Jesus Christ and His ressurection and do the works of His Father and keep His commandments are his disciples. By their fruits you shall know them.

Bear this in mind.

Last edited by HDL; 04-28-2008 at 12:15 AM..

Old 05-08-2008, 06:42 AM

5 posts, read 21,407 times
I love listening to Lakewood Church and I personally think we all need motivation through this period of time. Joel speaks to my heart and I know that what he's says is true.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,740 times
Joel Osteen is the real deal and we are fortunate to have him.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:01 PM

9 posts, read 32,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
I absolutely, positively LOVE Lakewood Church and Joel Osteens's preaching!!! I've been listening to him for going on 9 yrs now and before that I listened to his father preach !! No man or woman is perfect. We all sin and fall short! But Joel's preaching has been life changing for me and I believe that God is using him in a mighty way to touch peoples' hearts who would never step foot in a church.

But the one thing that I cannot tolerate, nor understand, is how people who 'profess' to be Christians can put down this ministry and/or Joel (or any other ministries). I've never heard Joel put down any other Pastors and/or ministries, nor will you ever see ME putting down churches and/or ministers that I disagree with . That is sooooooo NOT WWJD folks !!! (Father God, please forgive us !)

If any of you are so against and/or in disagreement with Lakewood Church, then you are called to PRAY for them and not JUDGE them. Momma mia people ! Time is short and we will all have to account to Christ on Judgement Day!!! All WRITE-T then. Consider this the end of my sermon (for today). AMEN .

http://bestsmileys.com/christmas1/9.gif (broken link)

Blessings,

~HDL~
Moderator cut: no insults please We are commanded in scripture not to judge those on the outside but we are commanded to judge within the body. We are also commanded to judge those who claim to be teachers of the word. How else are we to know who are false teachers and false prophets? Answer? By what they teach. Joel Osteen is a heretic and here is why: taken from Joel Osteen: True or False?

Quote:
The latest "star" among the Christian world is Joel Osteen, pastor of nondenominational Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas. Osteen claims the nation’s largest congregation with over 30,000 members. Lakewood recently purchased the colossal Compaq Center, formerly home of the NBA’s Houston Rockets. After a whopping $95 million in renovations, the Compaq Center now houses Osteen’s empire called Lakewood Church.

Moderator cut: edited for copyright "Copyright © 2005 Dial-the-Truth Ministries"

Last edited by da jammer; 05-16-2008 at 02:43 PM..

Old 05-16-2008, 02:13 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,787,483 times
Red face WOW???? Are you REALLY a Christian????

Nice way to address a fellow Believer ! Anyhow Proger, I am sorry to inform you that I don't debate with people like yourself, as I feel it is a waste of my time and energy and that nothing is really accomplished by it, nor is God glorified through our debating. You definitely won't be changing my mind with this post and I highly doubt that I would be changing yours either. I only hope and pray that when you do move to Houston, you may finally see Joel in person and get to see what a REAL man of God looks and acts like .

Best wishes on your move and your new job at TMC !

Sincerely,

~HDL~

p.s.
Feel free to debate on without me though, as I WILL NOT be replying to any more of your posts !

Moderator cut: the posting you refer to has been edited

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
tdenby
Without Sin?

Bear this in mind.
I've been meaning to quote this one for awhile . I find it extremely sad that so many people who call themselves 'Christians' are so quick to judge Joel and other TV preachers . Maybe if they spent some more time in God's Word and in His presence, they would realize how pious and self righteous they're being . If you do not agree with these preachers, that is fine with me. But God calls you to pray for them, not act as little gods judging them.

Last edited by da jammer; 05-16-2008 at 02:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston