U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:08 AM

385 posts, read 1,519,841 times

Advertisements

Why did you move to the Houston area?
Is it because of jobs? Housing? Quality of life?
The reason I ask; we'll be relocating to the Houston area soon (job transfer) and I'm curious if employment is the biggest draw to Houston and vicinity.

Maddie Claire
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 07:30 AM

8,376 posts, read 29,445,128 times
People don't come here for the same reasons a wannabe writer/model/actor/slacker would move to say, Venice Beach. People (with the correct skills) come here because they can get a well-paying professional job and live in a nice house on a decent sized lot for less than they could in any other very large city. Or they're here because their family is here. Or all of the above, like me.

If it wasn't for those 3 key things, I honestly don't think anyone would move or stay here.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:41 AM

499 posts, read 2,078,302 times
The main reasons that we made the move:
Nicer, bigger house
Weather
Quality of life.
Friendlier, family-oriented neighborhood.

The fact that I can do same work I do/did in California and earn the same was the final factor, though.
Technically, I'll earn more, my mortgage/property tax was just cut in half (went from 6,800 to 2,800) and the size of the house went up 2.5x sq. ft, double the property and 30 years younger.

The negatives so far aren't that crucial to me, but you should consider them.
It's very humid here, and I hope you like bugs. I think the warmth and humidity makes for a beautiful garden, so I don't complain.

The property tax is high. Coming from California where i pay 1% on a 750k house to Kingwood paying ~2.6% on a 270k house, it isn't necessarily more money out of my pocket. The difference will likely mean more to a retired person, or someone who has paid the mortgage off and is on fixed income.

I'm told that at some point it will flood here. But, coming from California I had earthquakes and brush fires to contend with, so what's the difference.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:14 AM

Is there city and or state tax in Houston?
How about auto license plates taxes - are they pretty standard cost or based on the value of the vehicle?

Old 11-15-2007, 09:15 AM

I honestly like humidity (call me crazy, but I do!).

Old 11-15-2007, 12:36 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,232,925 times
- Have the big city amenities (top-notch performing arts, museums, restaurants, shopping) in a city with a much lower cost of living than most other large cities
- Abundant jobs
- Lots of smart, interesting, diverse people from many backgrounds (due to the energy industry, Medical Center, NASA and related industries)
- Got bored with Austin being too much of a university-centered town... and the northeast US, though I love it, is just so expensive

Old 11-15-2007, 12:58 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 7,867,318 times
it sounded like a good idea at the time. since i'm determined to be a good provider and future father i though I should start showing my sense of responsibility by starting the sacrifices now by moving to plain and affordable houston TX living - I didnt go all the way out to the famous suburbs tho because thats just silly sacrifice for a child not even conceived yet

Old 11-15-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
it sounded like a good idea at the time. since i'm determined to be a good provider and future father i though I should start showing my sense of responsibility by starting the sacrifices now by moving to plain and affordable houston TX living - I didnt go all the way out to the famous suburbs tho because thats just silly sacrifice for a child not even conceived yet
Do you live uptown or downtown (not sure of the phrasing)?

Old 11-15-2007, 07:13 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,249,419 times
Plentiful employment opportunities in engineering.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:52 PM

22,783 posts, read 32,976,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddieClaire View Post
I honestly like humidity (call me crazy, but I do!).
Hello crazy just kidding!!!! All things are not for everyone, I hate the humidity. I moved to Houston when I was young and wanted to be on my own in the big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: