U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 08:18 AM

8 posts, read 17,547 times

Advertisements

I only have one day and small children. Need safe and as clean as possible.

Please tell me the best kid friendly places to eat at each, too.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 09:50 AM

191 posts, read 307,506 times
You might consider Quintana Beach. They have a nice park and boardwalk that leads out to the beach. There are no cars allowed on the beach there. There is a play area, picnic tables and decent restrooms and showers at Quintana. There is plenty of parking. There is also a decommissioned artillery gun on a hill there from WWII. Overall it's more fun for kids but you cannot drive on the beach. There is also less eateries on Quintana Island but you can get to Freeport quickly enough for food.

Rockport is much further away. It is also nice but I haven't done any of the beaches there.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:41 PM

Thanks so much for the input.

The drive is not an issue to Rockport. I was told the beach at Rockport is very nice and clean and due to the geography the waves are not big either. Can anyone confirm?

Any other input?

Old 09-09-2013, 04:46 PM

235 posts, read 312,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterThanBefore View Post
Thanks so much for the input.

The drive is not an issue to Rockport. I was told the beach at Rockport is very nice and clean and due to the geography the waves are not big either. Can anyone confirm?

Any other input?
Rockport has one of the nicer beaches in Texas (although South Padre is probably the best).

Old 09-09-2013, 05:56 PM

240 posts, read 732,883 times
My parents live in Rockport. There is a "beach" but no large waves. This is because the city of Rockport is located in a bay with barrier islands and not the open beach. Rockport has a nice, family friendly beach with restrooms, a walking path. I have seen kayak rentals nearby. There are a few museums and a water exhibit within walking distance and tons of eating places. Surfside (and Quintana) have much larger waves. Guess it all depends on what you are looking for...

Old 09-09-2013, 06:19 PM

507 posts, read 809,097 times
I grew up near Surfside. I used to drive out there in the middle of the night, go far out past the settled areas, and lay in the sand and stare at the sky for hours. Or, sit at the end of the jetties and watch the oil platforms twinkle along the horizon. One beach used to have a swing bridge; at least once it opened to allow intra-coastal barges to pass, and I was left on the beach to watch the sun rise.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:13 PM

Thanks so much guys. My children are very young. They do swim without life jackets but will be putting them on for the ocean. Would like the smallest waves so I think Rockport is a better choice.

I appreciate all the help.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:22 PM

I wanted tp report back for those who might have small children like mine.

At Rockport you can go into the Little Bay area and there is a $5 fee per day or $15 per year.

You drive into the area and there is plenty in the way of beach. Along the beach is parking and also two large public restrooms. There are several playgrounds for the kids. Also, there are little tiki beach umbrella things for some shade.

The waves are very small so even our two year old could play in the water. You can walk several hundred feet out into the water and it remains shallow.

The only negative is that there are jellyfish at this bench, and we saw several. We were able to avoid most of them except one which stung ny daughter. She said it was slightly worse than a fire ant bite, for a pain reference point.

All in all, we would definitely go back, the parking is close to the beach, it's easy to bring a picnic or snack and the restrooms are close. If you have small children, this beach is perfect for you.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:48 PM

191 posts, read 307,506 times
Thanks for taking the time to post the report. Sounds good. We'll have to make a day trip there at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or