Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 06:43 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,142,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
I live in the Alief area. I'm really not sure what is 'unsafe' to C-D posters. We've been here for about 7.5 years and I dont really see an issue and I live near 2 cheap apartments. After Katrina the apartments in the area got a whole lot of 'refugees' from NOLA and that was a bit 'ugly'. Now I dont see them anymore.
This area is really for the fresh-off-the-boat types. Vietnamese, Mexicans, Nigerians, Pakistanis. middleeastern people and others just trying to keep it simple, or to save on housing and put more cash on cars/boats/college
The westpark tollway works great for me. You do need to factor that in your monthly expenses tho
I grew up in Alief and I've have already discussed this in another thread. But you're crazy if you say Alief has no problems.

//www.city-data.com/forum/30046855-post29.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/30034319-post6.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 06:44 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Sounds so wonderful.
Great food options

Old 09-10-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I grew up in Alief and I've have already discussed this in another thread. But you're crazy if you say Alief has no problems.

//www.city-data.com/forum/30046855-post29.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/30034319-post6.html
Look i really really feel bad for all of you ex Alief people you got to live in the eventual-fugly parts. Maybe because you didnt have a choice back then. These days we can see which areas to avoid and which part looks great. That area nearer richmond ave and westheimer looks pretty good to me. The school there is rated exemplary.
Question. Do you only collect bad stories about this area? That is pretty sad. Whatever justifies living where you are now I guess

Old 09-10-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I heard from a neighbor that Alief ISD PPCD program is pretty good. I think you might want to check out the town/houses near Outley elementary school, near Shadowlakes and Royal Oaks
I also recommend Kiddizone for after school daycare
Besides Kerr, which is not a traditional high school and functions more like a magnet school, Alief schools are terrible. They consistently rank near the bottom of the area school rankings.

http://childrenatrisk.org/wp-content...l-Rankings.pdf

Old 09-10-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Look i really really feel bad for all of you ex Alief people you got to live in the eventual-fugly parts. Maybe because you didnt have a choice back then. These days we can see which areas to avoid and which part looks great. That area nearer richmond ave and westheimer looks pretty good to me. The school there is rated exemplary.
Question. Do you only collect bad stories about this area? That is pretty sad. Whatever justifies living where you are now I guess
I stick to the facts, if that's not P.C enough for you, or if you're trying to justify living in the area then that's your problem. But If somebody ask I'm going to give them a honest answer.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:46 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,837,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
If you are thinking about moving to the area, give us your wishlist and price range and the forum can probably give you better suggestions than Mission Bend and Alief...

For example, older parts of Katy have houses in the $90-$150 range with far superior schools, lower crime, etc....
I would go with western Mission Bend over some of those newer, cheaper areas of north Katy.

I agree with another poster that parts of Alief seem to be becoming more of the fresh-off-the-boat types, as opposed to the gang-infiltrated areas of south/southwest Houston or Greenspoint/I-45/1960. As the daughter of a fresh-off-the-boat type (though from Eastern Europe) I'll take that any day over some of the alternatives.

However, I'd be hesitant to invest in some of these areas. For a rental, that's different. Sounds like OP really needs to study the schools to see which can help meet their child's needs.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Besides Kerr, which is not a traditional high school and functions more like a magnet school, Alief schools are terrible. They consistently rank near the bottom of the area school rankings.

http://childrenatrisk.org/wp-content...l-Rankings.pdf
Its really your problem if you want to write off a whole area based on the school district. There are sections where there are lots of apartments and possibly poor neighborhoods where you grew up. Again im sorry about that.
Now the OP seem to need to be around westchase. You probably checked out Outley elementary rating online and just couldnt believe that its exemplary so you just went ahead and slam the whole place covered by the same ISD. You should check out that area. It looks really good to me. North Alief is being built out to have lots of 55+ active living apartments btw. The apartments look great especially Shadowlake and Royal oaks. I would not doubt the very best teachers are in this school zone
I was driving thru the fugly parts of southern Alief and i noticed Horn elementary has a sign that says TEA exemplary. Not sure maybe their FOB people are not too bad at least in that specific area. I personally would not recommend any area south of beechnut though.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:22 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,018,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I would go with western Mission Bend over some of those newer, cheaper areas of north Katy.
I'm pretty sure he's not referring to the KB home Katy subdivisions, but rather the Memorial Parkway neighborhood and surrounding areas. The best primarily sub $150k neighborhoods in the Houston area, and I don't any others are even close.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I stick to the facts, if that's not P.C enough for you, or if you're trying to justify living in the area then that's your problem. But If somebody ask I'm going to give them a honest answer.
No i think youre a houstonian. Even my own sisters are like that except they also thumb down the popular areas of inner houston as a whole as well. Their 'facts' are stories from really problematic poorer older neighborhoods... your old neighborhoods. They had to keep telling themselves why they needed to keep up with the white flight joneses.
I also notice they tell their hurricane survival stories. 10x more than i had to tell my 9/11 close call story i really find houstonians homeowners weird that way. I bet your life story is moving away a few miles from your humble beginnings too

Old 09-10-2013, 09:57 PM

Oh and if the OP Is a doctor Outley elementary is right beside the West Houston Hospital which is also surrounded by nicer apartment complexes.
Btw i also met a nurse from Katy who works here. Their daughter goes to Kiddizone., they say the kid prefers this daycare than the ones in Katy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston