Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 10:59 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,017,815 times

Advertisements

Mission Bend is no where as bad as the worst of Alief. That said, there are better options within a 15 mile radius from there in the same price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 11:55 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
Not all of us females are worry worts, but thanks for generalizing about us! I appreciate that!
I did not say that

Old 09-12-2013, 12:01 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
Mission Bend is no where as bad as the worst of Alief. That said, there are better options within a 15 mile radius from there in the same price range.
Sure (but 15mi is a lot in this area). If one really needs to get to 77082/highway6, you might need to know that there is no exit on the westpark tollway from the Katy side

what about the best of MB compared to the best of Alief?

Last edited by GTRdad; 09-12-2013 at 12:24 PM..

Old 09-13-2013, 11:24 AM

360 posts, read 665,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
I just live here and reporting what I know actually living here. I had the same people tell me not to live here but I have always prioritize easier access to where I make my money. Everything else takes a back seat, especially my feminine-worrywart side if I had one. I make an average of $300k a year and drive 20mins to the Galleria and I'm sure this deal is nothing compared to those guys in Royal Oaks but I do believe I shouldnt have to wake up at 6am and get to sleep before 11pm at this level. I do not have to spend all morning in traffic at this level, not shave while in traffic either. I dont have to drive the winding road out of my subdivision or deal with street bumps. I would like to be able to take my better cars to work more often. I have earned a bit of 'luxury' (time is gold) IMO.
I'm also a first-gen american, I am not ready to live with the joneses and/or the other 'rednecks' WWF crowd type in the white burbs. I'm not so naive to think every school in Katy and Sugarland is great...pretty sure you dont have asians evenly distributed in those areas either. (guess whos got asians?) I will not let any stranger in my backyard so I will have to take care of the lawn myself but I'm not in a mood to keep up with the neighbors on this. I also have a thing with racecars (ok this is my #1) and I need to work on them from time to time and I would like to keep this freedom (to drive it out as well). I also like eating out and its quite nice to not look under/over dressed. We do have great neighborhood restaurants over here. Dont we have the best BBQ in town at some point lol
Anyway, there are other people out there, not just 100k millionaires of the exburbs. We're not afraid of 'people of color' or punk kids, I'm probably more afraid of pissing off a spoiled brat. I dont like paying for stuff because everyone in the exurbs is doing so, or spending time in traffic because everyone in the exurbs is doing so... none of that logic works for me. Being a lemming would not have gotten me success in my career. I am really taking a risk here? Sure, says the female-worry-warts, most probably just flyover that side of 59 where you have the bad parts. Parts where some of you used to live lol.
My wife and I are friendly people and most of our friends/family are in the exburbs. This kinda works out because we want to have some distance and just meet up on (real)occasions, BUT having the restaurants and being the central point from Katy, SG, Energy Corridor, Galleria (we get visitors from Tomball/TWL too) we still get a lot of visitors - too bad we dont really have really wide open kitchen/living places - but good thing theyre mostly japanese nyuk nyuk
It's not for everybody. Sorry if the OP is just like you guys
Well goodluck finding a place, sugarland or katy. try not to think about us here when your commute is slowed down by cars coming in and out of our neighborhood. Try not to worry too much if you decide to someday try out our restaurants. Dont compare HPD level of service to yours, or other Harris county services... just don't.

FREEDOM!!

I SO loved this post! And I have to tell you why...

I live in a suburb - not on par with say, Cinco Ranch or Telfiar, but I love my area/neighborhood. I think suburbs are awesome, probably because of my inner city upbringing. My mom literally used to drive from downtown to Sugar Land just to look at the homes and dream. Kind of sad, but everyone needs something to aspire to. Anyway, now that I'm in a suburb, it's cool for me. And I think everyone should live where it works for them.

I get SO SICK of the labels put on less than stellar neighborhoods by the ridiculous people on these Houston boards. Everything is ghetto, or low class or crime riddled or something else when many of those people have either never lived there or they may have grown up there but all of a sudden they're too good for the place. The schools are awful, the "people of color" are (gasp!) not white. The ignorance shown on these boards sometimes, especially with regards to what community to live in, is appalling. I applaud the fact that although you're in a well-to-do tax bracket, you still maintain some common sense and simply "do you". Instead of doing and living where everyone thinks you should live.

I hope this post makes sense, I'm having trouble trying to tidy up all of my thoughts into this message because there's so much to say but it's probably not even worth saying on this board. Anyway, great post and kudos to you for living where you're comfortable and not where these people think you should or shouldn't be.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:52 PM

988 posts, read 1,203,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2thecity View Post
the "people of color" are (gasp!) not white. The ignorance shown on these boards sometimes, especially with regards to what community to live in, is appalling.
Curious if you reserve the same outrage for the endless barrage of threads on this forum by people asking for suggestions on "ethnic" or "hip" parts of town? Who the hell are you to begrudge those of us that make honest suggestions on nice places to live?

As least one post a week in this forum along the lines of "I am a proud african american professional moving to Houston from Atlanta. Where is a good place for a hip and proud african american to move where I can be around other hip and proud african americans?"

Or, "I am a pakistani from pakistan and I love all things pakistani. Go pakistan! Where is a pakistani area of Houston where pakistanis can be around other pakistanis and be pakistani with each other? Did I mention I am pakistani and I want to be around other pakistanis?"

Or, "I am a pretentious liberal hipster who detests the suburbs, SUVs, and chain restaurants. Where should I move to be around other pretentious non-breeder 20-something liberal hipsters and drink fair trade coffee and wheatgrass smoothies, and ride the trolley or my bicycle everywhere, and must be within walking distance to a tattoo parlor, resale clothing shop, and abortion clinic."

Or, "I am an asian and I really like being asian. Is there a chinatown in Houston? Are there a sufficient number of asians in this chinatown such that an asian asian such as my asian self can feel comfortable being surrounding by other asians that like being asian and we can celebrate asian culture together?"

All of the above is secret code for "where are places that aren't populated by white people with families". The nicer suburbs are plain, mundane, soul-less, and far too white with no culture and not enough crime and mediocre schools. Certainly deserving of your contempt.

I honestly don't care if a pakistani transplant want to live around other pakistanis. It is human nature to want to be around similar people. But when "ethnic" groups seek to do so, it is celebrated, and street signs are printed in foreign languages, and street fairs are held celebrating these "non-American" cultures. But when whites seek to live in "white areas" with good schools and relatively low crime, we are vile, ignorant, detestable racists that don't sufficiently celebrate "diversity".

I am not buying your phony and hypocritical selective outrage.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
Curious if you reserve the same outrage for the endless barrage of threads on this forum by people asking for suggestions on "ethnic" or "hip" parts of town? Who the hell are you to begrudge those of us that make honest suggestions on nice places to live?

I honestly don't care if a pakistani transplant want to live around other pakistanis. It is human nature to want to be around similar people. But when "ethnic" groups seek to do so, it is celebrated, and street signs are printed in foreign languages, and street fairs are held celebrating these "non-American" cultures. But when whites seek to live in "white areas" with good schools and relatively low crime, we are vile, ignorant, detestable racists that don't sufficiently celebrate "diversity".

I am not buying your phony and hypocritical selective outrage.

A better question would be, who the hell are you to be so livid about my post and opinion? Frankly, I could care less about the plight of the secret code for "where are places that aren't populated by white people with families". Here's a note for you, NO, I don't want to live around a lot of white people. Yes, I said it. Point proven.

You are correct, it is human nature to want to be around similar people. Duh. However, I was not targeting white people in my post. As a matter of fact, this little gem that is in your post proves my point...

All of the above is secret code for "where are places that aren't populated by white people with families". The nicer suburbs are plain, mundane, soul-less, and far too white with no culture and not enough crime and mediocre schools. Certainly deserving of your contempt.

Who says that because the area is not crawling with mundane, soul-less, white people (your words, not mine) that the schools automatically have crime and mediocre schools? THAT thought process is what I wanted to target in my post. But you so eloquently did it for me.

Get over yourself. Really. White people have a LONG way to go before ANYONE of ANY CULTURE, ANYWHERE feels their pain. Yes, you can have your nice neighborhoods and areas and suggest them to whoever is willing to listen; I never suggested you shouldn't/couldn't. I just feel like the dumb comments made about other areas based on complete and utter ignorance of said area, especially those that specifically equate the areas non-white majority population with poverty and poor schools (please see your quote above as an example), are off base and useless.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:46 PM

988 posts, read 1,203,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2thecity View Post
A better question would be, who the hell are you to be so livid about my post and opinion?
I am a nobody. Evidently I am also a soul-less, evil vile racist white person who looks down on "people of color" because I choose not to live in a crime riddled area with mediocre schools, even though I never said the impetus for living in nicer areas with good schools and lower crime is due to racial concerns.

Quote:
Frankly, I could care less about the plight of the secret code for "where are places that aren't populated by white people with families". Here's a note for you, NO, I don't want to live around a lot of white people. Yes, I said it. Point proven.
That makes you racist. Congrats.

Quote:
You are correct, it is human nature to want to be around similar people. Duh. However, I was not targeting white people in my post. As a matter of fact, this little gem that is in your post proves my point...
That little gem doesn't prove anything or further any of your arguments. Lrn2debate.

Quote:
Who says that because the area is not crawling with mundane, soul-less, white people (your words, not mine) that the schools automatically have crime and mediocre schools?
No one said that.

Quote:
THAT thought process is what I wanted to target in my post. But you so eloquently did it for me.
I did no such thing. I pointed out the phony claims made by you and others that whites who seek to live in lower crime areas with good schools are vile racists that don't want to associate in any way with "people of color".

Quote:
Get over yourself. Really.
I am.

Quote:
White people have a LONG way to go before ANYONE of ANY CULTURE, ANYWHERE feels their pain.
I don't care. I don't have a victim mentality that needs to be validated by others. I do what I do and I couldn't care less what you or any culture or anyone anywhere feels about me.

Quote:
Yes, you can have your nice neighborhoods and areas and suggest them to whoever is willing to listen; I never suggested you shouldn't/couldn't.
I never suggested that you suggested that.

Quote:
I just feel like the dumb comments made about other areas based on complete and utter ignorance of said area, especially those that specifically equate the areas non-white majority population with poverty and poor schools (please see your quote above as an example), are off base and useless.
You need a refresher course on reading comprehension. At no point did I ever suggest that whites seek to live in the areas they do because they are aren't a non-white area or that non-white areas are generally riddled with poverty and poor schools. You don't get to put words in my mouth. Get over yourself. Really.

I am merely pointing out that whites seeking to live in areas with good schools and lower crime are not vile racists that don't like being around "people of color", they just want to live in areas with low crime and good schools. You are the one who injected race into this debate, not me. Get over yourself. Really.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:05 PM

*** Let's see if I can get this right. Not really sure how to separate the quotes, and insert my comments but I'll try.***

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
I am a nobody. Evidently I am also a soul-less, evil vile racist white person who looks down on "people of color" because I choose not to live in a crime riddled area with mediocre schools, even though I never said the impetus for living in nicer areas with good schools and lower crime is due to racial concerns.

I think you did... but whatevs.

That makes you racist. Congrats.

I am, a little bit. *gasp!* See what I did there? I owned up to it. So should you.

That little gem doesn't prove anything or further any of your arguments. Lrn2debate.

I don't debate online about anything.

No one said that.

Okay.

I did no such thing. I pointed out the phony claims made by you and others that whites who seek to live in lower crime areas with good schools are vile racists that don't want to associate in any way with "people of color".

I never made that claim. Not once. NO ONE in their right mind wants to live anywhere with high crime. But WHITE does not equate to good schools and low crime as many posters in these forums would have you believe.

I am.

Good to know.

I don't care. I don't have a victim mentality that needs to be validated by others. I do what I do and I couldn't care less what you or any culture or anyone anywhere feels about me.

Actually, you do care. You cared so much that you wrote a NOVEL in response to my post.

I never suggested that you suggested that.

Touche'.

You need a refresher course on reading comprehension. At no point did I ever suggest that whites seek to live in the areas they do because they are aren't a non-white area or that non-white areas are generally riddled with poverty and poor schools. You don't get to put words in my mouth. Get over yourself. Really.

My mom was an English teacher. I majored in English in college. My writing has paid for many bills in my home. Reading comprehension is the LAST subject I need a refresher course on. Now math? Phew! Don't get me started on math!

I am merely pointing out that whites seeking to live in areas with good schools and lower crime are not vile racists that don't like being around "people of color", they just want to live in areas with low crime and good schools. You are the one who injected race into this debate, not me. Get over yourself. Really.

Again, I wrote my opinion to another post on this board. I did not seek to debate with you or anyone. If you think I injected race in there, then maybe I did. Who cares? I will say this though... I will choose diversity over one culture or race every time. I doubt that you would do the same. But again, who cares? Really.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:19 PM

Darn... I messed the formatting up! If you do decide to write yet another lengthy post, will you please be so kind as to provide instructions on how to do the multi-quote thing when I respond? I'd be very appreciative and I wouldn't think you're THAT racist after all. :-)

Old 09-13-2013, 03:15 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Okay you two. You are both right on several points.

So take a deep breath and stop fighting and taking things personally with each other. It will all be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston