Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 08:23 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonlove1 View Post
Thanks to everyone for your responses.

I am a 50+, single female. I am an RN but getting a job in an acute care setting (hospital) will not be possible for me. That's the reasons I asked about home buying for someone with an income of about $65K. Since I work in the community, and those jobs tend to pay less than hospital nursing positions, I thought that I might not make as much as I do now, working in D.C. ($78K+).

I am interested in living in a community with good schools and that is family oriented. My daughter and son-in-law may considering a move to Houston at some later time and they have small children.

I would be interested in living in Sugarland/Missouri City area, Pearland, or Katy. In 2009 I looked at a colonial type home in Pine Mill Ranch area of Katy that was $206,000. I think those homes are now going for above $250,000. I'm beginning to feel the homes in the price range I thought I could afford will not be affordable unless I can get a better than $65K salary. I do not plan to put down 20%...I just won't have that kind of money.

Any suggestion on quality builders with moderate prices?
The good school districts around the Texas Medical Center are the primary driver of property values. If you want good schools in town, you're probably looking at a jumbo loan for 2,000 square feet. There are some neighborhoods like Westwood and Westbury that are zoned to really awful high-schools but are located very conveniently and will be as safe as just about any other place in Houston (which is to say you still can't leave your garage door open, leave your purse in your car or leave the keys in the ignition) where you can find good value.

As far as the suburbs are concerned, if you are driving SW on 59 or NW on 290 in the afternoon you are not going to like it. Going W on I-10 isn't as bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 08:37 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,269 times
There are several neighborhoods where I grew up that are in your price range in Friendswood and in Clear Lake. These areas have some of the be best schools in Houston and are safe. Go to HAR and look at the following zip codes that I speak of: 77546, 77062. Or, type in the neighborhoods 'forest bend', 'bay glen', 'Middlebrook',

Also, I lived in a condo/townhome community called Deerwood Gardens (zip 77063) near Fondren and Westheimer. Check out a nice listing there that I just found while typing this up : http://search.har.com/engine/2238-S-...AR77129817.htm

They are considered part of the Piney Point communities and are at the south side of Memorial. I consider these condos to be the best hidden gem in Houston if you are looking to buy a home on a low budget. The condos go anywhere from 70k (unrenovated) and up to 200k. If it weren't for my wife, I would still be living there.

Here is a video of the condo we sold there a couple years ago just before upgrading to a larger home in Katy. All units pay for ALL utilities in the Maint. fee and I think this is a darn steal. After mortgage, maint fee and paying for insurance/internet/phone, our total monthly cost was around 1350 a month. You just cant beat that.

Here's the video we used when we listed the unit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PetOI9TMSLk

We sold it for $117.5k and it was completely renovated. Good luck with your search and if you have any questions, please ask.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:47 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
I 2nd Friendswood and Clear Lake having homes in that price range. League City too.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:47 AM

872 posts, read 827,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
There are several neighborhoods where I grew up that are in your price range in Friendswood and in Clear Lake. These areas have some of the be best schools in Houston and are safe. Go to HAR and look at the following zip codes that I speak of: 77546, 77062

Also, I lived in a condo/townhome community called Deerwood Gardens (zip 77063) near Fondren and Westheimer. Check out a nice listing there that I just found while typing this up : 2238 S Piney Point 206, Houston, TX 77063 - HAR.com

They are considered part of the Piney Point communities and are at the south side of Memorial. I consider these condos to be the best hidden gem in Houston if you are looking to buy a home on a low budget. The condos go anywhere from 70k (unrenovated) and up to 200k. If it weren't for my wife, I would still be living there.

Here is a video of the condo we sold there a couple years ago just before upgrading to a larger home in Katy. All units pay for ALL utilities in the Maint. fee and I think this is a darn steal. After mortgage, maint fee and paying for insurance/internet/phone, our total monthly cost was around 1350 a month. You just cant beat that.

Here's the video we used when we listed the unit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PetOI9TMSLk

We sold it for $117.5k and it was completely renovated. Good luck with your search and if you have any questions, please ask.

The HAR listing is just slightly less then what I paid for my house. My house is more then twice the size of this condo and my HOA fees are $500.00 a year, not over $300 a MONTH. I know it's location, location, location....but, in my case, I now work from home - I have no commute (I did commute from I-10 and Eldridge to 45S and Monroe for over 2 years and my Husband works within 15 minutes form our house. I would never buy a house based on where I work.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:50 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,288 times
Depends on what time for 59. I leave my office on post oak around 4-4:30 most days and will usually not even have to hit my brakes until I exit HWY 6. My commute time is almost always 35 minutes or less to my home in Sugar Land. I am grateful for the flexibility of not having to work 8-5.

OP, there are still homes in Sugar Land in what your price range looks to be. It will be up to you to decide if they fit your needs though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
As far as the suburbs are concerned, if you are driving SW on 59 or NW on 290 in the afternoon you are not going to like it. Going W on I-10 isn't as bad.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:53 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
The HAR listing is just slightly less then what I paid for my house. My house is more then twice the size of this condo and my HOA fees are $500.00 a year, not over $300 a MONTH. I know it's location, location, location....but, in my case, I now work from home - I have no commute (I did commute from I-10 and Eldridge to 45S and Monroe for over 2 years and my Husband works within 15 minutes form our house. I would never buy a house based on where I work.
I'm not sure if you saw it or not, but the $300 covers your trash/sewage, water, electricity and comcast cable. You won't have any utility bills.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:37 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
When I say the Cypress area, I am including the Copperfield area, which is Houston. Check HAR.com and plug in zip 77095. There is a LOT of medical at 290/1960, which is a 10 minute drive. Cy-Fair school district - a good one. A neighborhood to check would be Fairfield.

In Champions (zip code 77069 will get you started), there are medical also. Schools are either Klein or Cy-Fair.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 09-16-2013 at 10:41 AM..

Old 09-16-2013, 10:00 AM

50 posts, read 71,009 times
I know a middle-aged nurse who works in the Scurlock Tower in the Medical Center. For many years she had to fight the traffic going to her home somewhere up 290. Often she had to wait until 7pm to leave the office. Eventually she was fed up with it, bought a condo near the Med Center and is now happy as a lark.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:43 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Yeah, commuting to the Medical Center from Cypress would not be fun. That's why I suggested all the medical at 1960/290.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:53 PM

54 posts, read 122,831 times
You can get a nice house in the burbs for $170-$190 with that income.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston