Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 01:29 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,364,386 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how people here are saying that 'you can afford 160k-200k' homes, but maybe they aren't considering your net income vs your gross. Also you stated you had a car note as well as paying off credit cards. On top of that, you need to feed yourself, pay for utilities, home insurance, taxes, gas, etc etc. You truly cannot go over 140-150. Financially, I just don't think it's possible.

If I were you, OP, I would get an honest real estate agent or preferably a financial adviser through your bank to break down everything for you. While 65k is a good salary, I do not think it can afford you anything over 150k (even 140k is stretching it) without someone else helping out with the bills and other expenses. I only say this because I would hate for you to think that you have that much buying power and in the end, you end up financially suffering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 01:38 PM

95 posts, read 169,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
I'm not sure how people here are saying that 'you can afford 160k-200k' homes, but maybe they aren't considering your net income vs your gross. Also you stated you had a car note as well as paying off credit cards. On top of that, you need to feed yourself, pay for utilities, home insurance, taxes, gas, etc etc. You truly cannot go over 140-150. Financially, I just don't think it's possible.

If I were you, OP, I would get an honest real estate agent or preferably a financial adviser through your bank to break down everything for you. While 65k is a good salary, I do not think it can afford you anything over 150k (even 140k is stretching it) without someone else helping out with the bills and other expenses. I only say this because I would hate for you to think that you have that much buying power and in the end, you end up financially suffering.
I second this, there's so many other expenses. You do not want to become "house poor" just to buy your max. Also keep in mind that 150k can buy you a very good-sized home in a nice neighborhood in a Houston suburb. Much more than it would buy you in other cities.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:14 PM

536 posts, read 1,062,234 times
I live in Cypress and love it (actually I'm not quite in Cypress but within a few feet of a cypress address).
Cypress is fantastic if you can find a way to cope with 290. I manage by going in and coming home really early to miss the traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Depends on where the job is located. Cypress and Champions are bargains.
Ssssshhh! Don't tell anyone!!

More seriously, do you think this will last? It seems to me that prices in Cypress are on the up fairly quickly (just from observation).

Old 09-17-2013, 12:45 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,026 times
There's areas just outside of Houston where you can get a nice house with your situation.

Though I would wait a while until this "Exxon-Fever" is over (everyone thinks they'll be selling their places for twice the values...on top of that you have the usual Real Estate industry blabber...). Though even now the prices are stabilizing...If you look around you'll find some good deals.

Don't be in a rush (you can rent for a while), and look around.....

Old 09-17-2013, 06:05 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,236,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobeans2 View Post
I second this, there's so many other expenses. You do not want to become "house poor" just to buy your max. Also keep in mind that 150k can buy you a very good-sized home in a nice neighborhood in a Houston suburb. Much more than it would buy you in other cities.
Where can you find this in an area that isn't way out in BFE, or in an area that has gone or will go downhill in a few years?

If I were the OP, I would stay in D.C. work hard, pay off debt, save for the 20% down, and THEN move to Houston if and only if her relatives actually make the move.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:40 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,506 times
Really? How about Clear Lake? There are plenty homes for 150k or less right now. At about 20 miles give or take from downtown I would hardly label it BFE. It also has some of the best schools in the Houston area. Nor is it in the decline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Where can you find this in an area that isn't way out in BFE, or in an area that has gone or will go downhill in a few years?

If I were the OP, I would stay in D.C. work hard, pay off debt, save for the 20% down, and THEN move to Houston if and only if her relatives actually make the move.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:13 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,190,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbink View Post
I live in Cypress and love it (actually I'm not quite in Cypress but within a few feet of a cypress address).
Cypress is fantastic if you can find a way to cope with 290. I manage by going in and coming home really early to miss the traffic.

Ssssshhh! Don't tell anyone!!

More seriously, do you think this will last? It seems to me that prices in Cypress are on the up fairly quickly (just from observation).
They are steadily inching up in those areas. They are leaping up in lower Katy, The Woodlands and Sugar Land. Once that leg of 99 is completed, I think there will be a surge. Once 290 is expanded in a few years (making Downtown feasible), there will be a leap. They will no doubt have a few more "Fairfields" further out 290 - but that's a few years in the future for that. Bridgeland will go nuts.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:27 AM

536 posts, read 1,062,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
They are steadily inching up in those areas. They are leaping up in lower Katy, The Woodlands and Sugar Land. Once that leg of 99 is completed, I think there will be a surge. Once 290 is expanded in a few years (making Downtown feasible), there will be a leap. They will no doubt have a few more "Fairfields" further out 290 - but that's a few years in the future for that. Bridgeland will go nuts.
Bridgeland always appeared to have a reasonable amount of foreclosures to me, is that representative of the situation?

Towne Lake and Cypress Creek Lakes seem to have houses flying up at the moment. I'm looking forward to the Towne Lake development furthering (especially the waterfront/retail) as I'm a short bike ride from that and I think it will be nice.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:26 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,910,074 times
Pending your debt load I'd look at 160-180K. If you have debts then I'd move down to 140-160K.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:52 PM

7 posts, read 17,755 times
Here is what I will do if my take home pay is 65k:

Yearly take home pay 65,000
Monthly take home pay 5416
1/3 of monthly take home pay 1805

Your monthly Mortgage, Taxes, Home Insurance, plus credit card bills, car payment should be around 1805.00.

You can also use this.
How much house can you afford?
New House Calculator - How Much House Can You Afford?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston