Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:19 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
I'm not sure where you got that idea from. The woodlands and surrounding area is served by the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office, precinct 3. There is no private police force in place.
The Woodlands has been there since the early 1970's. It got really hot when things got bad in Mexico some years back and a couple of years ago. There was for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 12:37 PM

42 posts, read 69,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Look at Walmart profits and what Walmart pays their workers
Are you really comparing people bagging groceries at Walmart with the engineers, administrative people, scientists etc. that will work at these centers? These are "qualified" people and companies like Shell, Exxon etc. pays top money to make sure they get the top people. I am sure you know the difference between qualified and unqualified workforce.

Anyway, when I think of people making big bucks I think of the executives. And there are a lot more of those people at Exxon than Southwestern due to the sheer size of the company and also they are making more than what their counterparts make at Southwestern.

A quick google search shows Exxon CEO makes 40 million per year, while the southwestern CEO makes 3.65 million. I am not sure if Exxon CEO will move to this new campus, but there are maybe tens of people at Exxon that makes more than Southwestern CEO and some of them surely will be there.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:49 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinfali View Post
Are you really comparing people bagging groceries at Walmart with the engineers, administrative people, scientists etc. that will work at these centers? These are "qualified" people and companies like Shell, Exxon etc. pays top money to make sure they get the top people. I am sure you know the difference between qualified and unqualified workforce.

Anyway, when I think of people making big bucks I think of the executives. And there are a lot more of those people at Exxon than Southwestern due to the sheer size of the company and also they are making more than what their counterparts make at Southwestern.

A quick google search shows Exxon CEO makes 40 million per year, while the southwestern CEO makes 3.65 million. I am not sure if Exxon CEO will move to this new campus, but there are maybe tens of people at Exxon that makes more than Southwestern CEO and some of them surely will be there.
I don't know where you get the idea that Exxon has all these rich employees. Large mega caps like Exxon get that big from squeezing their payroll, not expanding it. A majority of the Exxon guys (and gals) don't make any more then the avg professional joe sixpack. Yes, they have a huge market cap. Yes, the CEO owns a lot of stock. Yes, they have a lot of employees. But affluent? Not unless you think all the employees at IBM are affluent as well. I'm not saying these people are making minimum wage, but drive through their parking lot and then drive through SouthWestern's when they open, you will see a MASSIVE difference. EXXON is a very CONSERVATIVE oil company that takes very little RISK. Southwestern is a more like Enron and yes, Chesapeake, who also makes obscene amounts of money. These are aggressive trading firms compared to Exxon which runs itself more like a utility.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:26 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Yeah I would t even compare Exxon and southwestern. Different animals. They hire the types that fit their corporate mold. So a conservAtive company tends to hire conservative mind sets. So some employees can afford extravagant cars but choose not to - they tend to make wise choices with their own money as well as wise decisions regarding the company's money.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:37 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The Woodlands has been there since the early 1970's. It got really hot when things got bad in Mexico some years back and a couple of years ago. There was for years.
The woodlands was officially opened in 74, my parents moved here in April 77, and since that time they are not aware of any private police force. Now the town center/Mall area does have security guards, and mounted patrol. But both of these groups are not police, they are simply security guards that work directly with police. If there were ever private police in the Woodlands, it was before 77.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:42 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
The latest comments on this thread are detached from reality. ExxonMobil does make profits by running a lean shop, it is lean people wise but not in how it pays the people it has. I cant speak to SW specifically but there are people who make a lot and spend a lot (enron does come to mind but certainly is not the only one) then there are people who make a lot and live conservatively. ExxomMobil career employees are high net worth while spenders may or may not be.

ExxonMobil employees are the Millionaire next door types, ie welthy but driving a less expensive car and living in a home that is less than "stretching" their income would suggest they could own. Its part of their cost cutting, squeeze every nickel until it says ouch culture.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
I don't know where you get the idea that Exxon has all these rich employees. Large mega caps like Exxon get that big from squeezing their payroll, not expanding it. A majority of the Exxon guys (and gals) don't make any more then the avg professional joe sixpack. Yes, they have a huge market cap. Yes, the CEO owns a lot of stock. Yes, they have a lot of employees. But affluent? Not unless you think all the employees at IBM are affluent as well. I'm not saying these people are making minimum wage, but drive through their parking lot and then drive through SouthWestern's when they open, you will see a MASSIVE difference. EXXON is a very CONSERVATIVE oil company that takes very little RISK. Southwestern is a more like Enron and yes, Chesapeake, who also makes obscene amounts of money. These are aggressive trading firms compared to Exxon which runs itself more like a utility.

LOL, whatever, I guess you were taken in by a very good PR person from Southwestern. If you think Southwestern, a company that 95% of the population in Houston probably have never heard of, is more "affluent" than the second largest publicly traded company in the world, all the more power to you.

Reality is Exxon pays what Southwestern is worth in dividend in a single year. If what you say is even remotely true, that would seem like a great opportunity to short Southwestern since that company won't stay afloat for long. Chesapeake comment is even funnier since it was nearly going bankrupt and has massive amount of debts.

Also I love how I try to bring some objective numbers into the discussion and the reply I get is I have to check the cars at a parking lot. Anyway, some final numbers:

Southwestern energy, total number of employees: 2,427
Exxon Mobil, total number of employees: 99,100
Southwestern reservoir engineer salary range: 103K-112K (Granted only 1 salary was found since it is a SMALL company)
Exxon reservoir engineer salary range: 93K-185K

Last edited by cinfali; 09-25-2013 at 10:15 AM..

Old 09-25-2013, 10:13 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,297 times
Yeah This CEO/President Peter Wallace - Forbes had a Total Compensation of $3,798,634 in 2011. And he drove a 16+ year old BMW that was probably worth about 8 grand tops.

As they say, don't judge a book by it's cover. The wealthy people that I know actually don't have exotic cars, they drive things like a honda civic, Suburban, 10 year old Yukon Denali, Toyota Camry, F-150. I only know one young engineer (who really isn't even wealthy) that drives a $100 grand BMW M5.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:19 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinfali View Post
LOL, whatever, I guess you were taken in by a very good PR person from Southwestern. If you think Southwestern, a company that 95% of the population in Houston probably have never heard of, is more "affluent" than the second largest publicly traded company in the world, all the more power to you.

Reality is Exxon pays what Southwestern is worth in dividend in a single year. If what you say is even remotely true, that would seem like a great opportunity to short Southwestern since that company won't stay afloat for long. Chesapeake comment is even funnier since it was nearly going bankrupt and has massive amount of debts.

Also I love how I try to bring some objective numbers into the discussion and the reply I get is I have to check the cars at a parking lot. Anyway, some final numbers:

Southwestern energy, total number of employees: 2,427
Exxon Mobil, total number of employees: 99,100
Southwestern reservoir engineer salary range: 103K-112K (Granted only 1 salary was found since it is a SMALL company)
Exxon reservoir engineer salary range: 93K-185K
That "small" company has a 12 billion dollar market cap and did 3 billion in sales last year. Thank God you know NOTHING about the energy industry. And your comment about Chesapeake re-assures me you would never get hired in this business just out of sheer ignorance. Let me guess, you work at the mall? LOL.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
That "small" company has a 12 billion dollar market cap and did 3 billion in sales last year. Thank God you know NOTHING about the energy industry. And your comment about Chesapeake re-assures me you would never get hired in this business just out of sheer ignorance. Let me guess, you work at the mall? LOL.

Yes, you certainly sound like a very bright individual, I can not approach your genius.

Seriously, I was just trying to inform you so you don't look like an ignoramus in real life, but whatever. This is one of the most ridiculous arguments I have had in my life and I don't have time for that. I am out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston