Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 11:14 AM

352 posts, read 778,257 times

Advertisements

Not saying its a bad thing just something I noticed. Its either they are passive and dont care about life or follow each other like a bunch of lemmings

1.Like if someone is at a light and the light turns green and the person doesnt move, no one honks they just sit there and wait

1b. When a light turns yellow people immediately stop. The light is not red it just turned yellow and the brakes are being slammed. WTF? You can go through a yellow light

2. If there are two turning lanes people will just follow behind the car in front of them causing a LONG line of cars in a single lane and the second turning lane remains empty(lemmings mentality) This happens alot on the southside webster tx area

3.People driving 10-20 mph under the speed limit on the interstate cause massive delays and slow traffic(Not aggressive enough on the road)

4.People get to work whenever and leave whenever(ho hum mode just dont give a care)

5.People are more concerned about a fender bender on the side of the road than getting to work on time(lemmings mentality)

6. Drive Trucks just because the next guy has one. Houston is a huge ass city and it takes a ton of gas just to go down the street why do so many have trucks when its not necessary to have one? (lemmings mentality)

Its like Houston is a big city with a small city mentality. You dont see half this stuff in Miami, NYC, Chicago, LA. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 11:18 AM

670 posts, read 1,442,022 times
You keep up with everyone's work schedule?

You monitor fender benders and how long it takes people to either exchange insurance or wait for the cops?

You really think people here drive trucks just because the next guy has one?

Now I've heard it all, FFS.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:25 AM

95 posts, read 169,964 times
lol! This is just not true.

Not sure where or when you are driving, but people in Houston are aggressive drivers. Lots of cutting people off, honking, change 3-4 lanes at a time, passing and changing lanes even when neither lane is moving, speeding, etc.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:29 AM

285 posts, read 568,074 times
You and I must be living in different cities. Houston drivers are "not aggressive enough" and are in "ho hum mode?" LOL. I would say the exact opposite - there are lots of very aggressive drivers here.

With perhaps the exception of the large number of pickup trucks on the road, I don't see this "small town mentality" you speak of.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:42 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
I drive a truck because of aggressive drivers. I have been rear ended while stopping for a yellow light (which interestingly is not against the law), and all it did was bend up my tailgate. I am keeping my truck for that reason.

This is a strange topic by the way. I guess I am a lemming after all since I responded

Old 09-20-2013, 11:53 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
No this post is total BS. Houston drivers are anything but passive. They are extremely aggressive and some are downright reckless. Lots of tailgating, honking if you don't go on green, and lots and I mean lots of passing ppl up if they're not going ten over the limit.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:01 PM

811 posts, read 1,556,967 times
He must be living in a parallel universe! Not what I see at all.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:04 PM

222 posts, read 418,073 times
Many of your observations will surprise a lot of people here. I find mine to be contradictory to yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waytoodeep03 View Post
2. If there are two turning lanes people will just follow behind the car in front of them causing a LONG line of cars in a single lane and the second turning lane remains empty(lemmings mentality) This happens alot on the southside webster tx area

6. Drive Trucks just because the next guy has one. Houston is a huge ass city and it takes a ton of gas just to go down the street why do so many have trucks when its not necessary to have one? (lemmings mentality)
When there are more than one turn lanes and people queue up on one, it could indicate that they will be making a turn and that lane offers them the easiest chance to do so, without cutting across lanes later. As you may discover later, the "passive" Houston drivers are not always very keen to let "lemmings" cut across in front of them

It bugs me to no end to see huge ass pick-ups and SUVs carrying one person to and fro from work. But hey, that's Texas. I am happy with my 40 MPG and I'm sure they are too with their 12 MPG.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:08 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,349 times
Nobody who has spent time in Chicago traffic would be complaining about how relaxed Houston drivers are.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:19 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonForThis View Post
He is comparing us to Miami, NYC, Chicago and LA. Compared to those cities we are indeed passive. I am not complaining though.
Absolutely false. Maybe NYC yes but LA drivers are idiotic and slow especially when u leave the core and enter the valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: