Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 03:40 PM

243 posts, read 799,724 times

Advertisements

i got a bid to have these installed. i like the price, but i'm concerned with the installation method. the installer told me they use screws to attach them to the windows. he told me my window warranty would be voided if he does this. are there any methods besides screws to install these?

i want a professional job done. but i don't want to scarifice my warranty either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 06:18 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
For years, storm windows had a flat loop that fit over a protrusion from the siding. You just lifted them up, put over the protrusion and then used the hooks to attach at the bottom. Solar screens could do the same. The guys who installed mine just screwed them onto the window frame. It is a PITA when it comes time to wash the windows. My friend who was aware of my installation concerns had his installed with mirror hooks screwed into the siding, not the window. When they need to clean the windows, they just loosen the screw and slip the solar screen out.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:13 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
I don't think it will void the warranty per se, it's dependent on how the install is done, and what issues you might have later. If the screws are clearly nowhere near the glass, and a piece of glass goes bad, it would probably still be warranted. Not to say an *****hat window company wouldn't try to weasel out of it, but a decent one would probably be ok. But if the window leaks, for example, they will almost certainly not be responsible, as the screws may be the problem.

Having said all this... I would try to find another way to secure them. Why look for problems? There are other ways to secure screens to window openings.

Also, check to see if the window can handle a full screen. While most windows are made for half-screens (the typical screen you see on residential windows), some are made to also take a full-screen. They have a channel at the top the screen can slip into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonForThis View Post
RTF(window)M
Seriously? Have you ever seen a window manual? I know for new homes, there is no such thing.

Really? What a rude answer.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:26 AM

58 posts, read 101,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I don't think it will void the warranty per se, it's dependent on how the install is done, and what issues you might have later. If the screws are clearly nowhere near the glass, and a piece of glass goes bad, it would probably still be warranted. Not to say an *****hat window company wouldn't try to weasel out of it, but a decent one would probably be ok. But if the window leaks, for example, they will almost certainly not be responsible, as the screws may be the problem.

Having said all this... I would try to find another way to secure them. Why look for problems? There are other ways to secure screens to window openings.

Also, check to see if the window can handle a full screen. While most windows are made for half-screens (the typical screen you see on residential windows), some are made to also take a full-screen. They have a channel at the top the screen can slip into.

Seriously? Have you ever seen a window manual? I know for new homes, there is no such thing.

Really? What a rude answer.
There are brand names and model numbers and even specs imprinted on windows. And then there is a little thing called Google to take you to the manufacturer site and a little thing called adobe to read the warranty info. So yeah... really and seriously brah.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:08 PM

243 posts, read 799,724 times
the warranty in question is the warranty provided by the builder (ashton woods) for 1 year after closing.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:20 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carryyourbooks View Post
the warranty in question is the warranty provided by the builder (ashton woods) for 1 year after closing.
And this is the only warranty that matters. The builder, and the window supplier and how they stand behind the builder.

Reading a manuf web site will not give any useful info on this issue. Really. Seriously.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:09 AM

3 posts, read 5,946 times
Installing solar screens will not void your window warranty. But they must be installed correctly without damaging the window frame or its integrity. Most professional installers will do this properly but there are others who do not. When inquiring about solar screens simply ask not to damage the window frame.
[url=http://www.ecsolarscreens.com]Las Vegas Sun Shade Solar Screens and Doors[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: