Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 08:52 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
There were railroad tracks north of I 10 that they took out many years ago. I am sure I 10 gobbled up that land. I wondered at that time why they didn't put in a train system at that time. ( the actual tracks were in poor condition at that time.)
That's the reason. The tracks were in such poor condition that they were no longer suitable even for freight service, which has a much lower standard than passenger service. The railroad that owned them basically gave them away because it would have cost too much to upgrade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Mass transit may not solve the problem of freeway congestion but it gives you options. For example, I would argue that the traffic congestion is far worse in Seattle, a city with decent public transit, but one can largely avoid it with myriad options for getting where you need to be.
One can avoid it, one million can't. The problem with rail is it is not scalable. At $100 million per mile, there is not enough money in the world to provide door to door service for most of the population in a city as geographically large as Houston. It is a pyramid-based subsidy that requires the contributions of hundreds if not thousands to provide for the needs of one.

Mass transit has never alleviated traffic anywhere. It has it's benefits. It's a wonderful solution for those who live and work near the route. (A bicycle is even better for those who live and work a mile apart.) It helps connect points of interest and facilitate tourists and business travelers. But it doesn't significantly alleviate overall traffic.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:43 AM

507 posts, read 917,597 times
Rail doesn't work in most cities around the world? I'll let them know ASAP.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliemonster View Post
Rail doesn't work in most cities around the world? I'll let them know ASAP.
It hasn't alleviated traffic in them. I never said doesn't "work", I said traffic relief is not a valid justification.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:11 AM

507 posts, read 917,597 times
Car traffic obeys ideal gas laws and will expand to fill the available volume

Old 09-27-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliemonster View Post
Car traffic obeys ideal gas laws and will expand to fill the available volume
Right, because roads spawn cars. Same could be said about schools and stores and water lines and the electrical grid. Why build a new power plant? After all, demand for electricity will just increase...

Old 09-27-2013, 10:56 AM

785 posts, read 1,234,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It hasn't alleviated traffic in them. I never said doesn't "work", I said traffic relief is not a valid justification.
You're right, nothing will ever "alleviate" traffic short of us inventing teleportation. But mass transit does allow for more density; those wanting mass transit to cause "no traffic" are really just wanting the road to themselves Selfish, lol.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:04 AM
rhn

53 posts, read 120,331 times
A staggard work schedule dependent on geographic location, and employer support of such would be key in relieving the rediculous traffic. But it will never happen...too much greed and work work work mentality in this city.

As an example...

Workplace Location Work shift
Downtown: 8AM-5PM
Inner Loop: 7AM-4PM
Outside Beltway: 6AM-3PM

Or the other way around...whatever flows best. If roads cant handle it and mass transit doesnt work, this is the only option I see

Old 09-27-2013, 11:13 AM

872 posts, read 827,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhn View Post
A staggard work schedule dependent on geographic location, and employer support of such would be key in relieving the rediculous traffic. But it will never happen...too much greed and work work work mentality in this city.

As an example...

Workplace Location Work shift
Downtown: 8AM-5PM
Inner Loop: 7AM-4PM
Outside Beltway: 6AM-3PM

Or the other way around...whatever flows best. If roads cant handle it and mass transit doesnt work, this is the only option I see
Also, let employees in positions where they can work from home, do so.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:16 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's the reason. The tracks were in such poor condition that they were no longer suitable even for freight service, which has a much lower standard than passenger service. The railroad that owned them basically gave them away because it would have cost too much to upgrade.
The most expensive part is the right of way,
the tracks don't cost anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston