U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 08:30 PM

27 posts, read 66,046 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good dryer vent cleaning service in the west Houston area? I purchased a 3 year old home in Richmond. Same dryer that dried clothes fine in the previous two houses is not drying the clothes in this new house. Get's hot, but inside of dryer is very humid and is taking forever to dry the clothes. Let it run to long and water accumulates on the floor under the dryer. I cleaned out the tube going to the wall, made sure there was no kinks, ran 3 clothes hangers up the tube in the wall to try and get the lint out, etc. No dice. Checked the attic and the vent connections up there seem correct. I'm assuming the tubing in the attic is stopped up.

The following place seems to have good reviews on google, yelp, etc:

Advanced Dryer Vent Cleaning/Repair Service - Houston, Texas

Anyone used them? What is the going rate to clean out dryer vents? Roughly a 25 ft run from the dryer to the vent in the roof. Thanks.,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 10:32 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,619,000 times
Default Rat in dryer tubing

This is good opportunity to remind people that dryers do catch fire when the tubing isn't cleaned out frequently enough.

Last weekend I had a different kind of situation. A rat crawled up into the outside vent when the flap was open, and then died. Fortunately I had a rodent contract with a company, so there was no extra charge for the guy to come out and remove the rat. Thank goodness the guy came out within hours. The stench of the rat was overwhelming.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:52 AM

670 posts, read 1,288,524 times
Advanced Dryer Vent Cleaning/Repair Service - Houston, Texas

Joel is good to go and very thorough, he did ours earlier in the year and pulled out almost 2 full shop-vac canisters of crap. We have a 2 story built in 90 and our dryer has to vent through a 10ft vertical run then a 15ft horizontal run, not optimal at all. Dryer works much better now. I think we ended up paying $150 but paid more for the commercial grade vent connection from the dryer to the wall instead of that flimsy crap.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:06 AM

17,031 posts, read 28,745,059 times
May have a thermostat problem...

Old 10-02-2013, 08:33 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,309,108 times
power source might not be right

Old 10-02-2013, 09:30 AM

860 posts, read 1,419,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
This is good opportunity to remind people that dryers do catch fire when the tubing isn't cleaned out frequently enough.

Last weekend I had a different kind of situation. A rat crawled up into the outside vent when the flap was open, and then died. Fortunately I had a rodent contract with a company, so there was no extra charge for the guy to come out and remove the rat. Thank goodness the guy came out within hours. The stench of the rat was overwhelming.
When I was visiting relatives in Idaho, I noticed a neat, box-like metal mesh cage covering the outside dryer vent on wall of their home. It seems that small animals like to come indoors when it's really cold, so folks up there install these things to keep them out. After hearing from others in our area who've had experiences similar to that of Weatherguy, I wonder why animal excluder gadgets aren't a standard item around here?

Old 10-02-2013, 11:47 AM

142 posts, read 371,680 times
Buy one of these and do it yourself: LintEater | Dryer Vent Cleaning Tool | Dryer Fire Prevention

Home Depot / Lowe's / etc. all sell these, and they are less than the cost of hiring someone to do it one time.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:37 PM

27 posts, read 66,046 times
I had Joel from West Houston Dryer Vent Cleaning come out today. Nice enough guy and he cleaned out the pipes using something that looked like that LintEater system. Only gotcha is he could not clean the vent on the roof. I am in a one story home but the roof is steep. He said he was not insured to get on a steep roof like mine and did not have the safety equipment. I was a bit disappointed that a professional dryer vent cleaner could not do this. In all fairness though he did explain the situation to me before doing any work. He said he normally could get to the vent from inside the attic but my attic has the spray in foam insulation which prevents access to the various roof vents.

Joel charges a flat $100 fee for the cleaning. After watching how he did it I do agree with the previous poster that pretty much any home owner can do the same cleaning with the LintEater system, the extension kit and a drill.

BTW, why a builder would leave the screen on an inaccessible roof dryer vent is beyond me. Now I have to have a roof guy come out to permanently remove the screen and clean out the roof vent. Below is a link to the kind of dryer roof vent this newer house has.

http://kcdryervents.com/wp-content/u..._vent_lint.jpg

Old 10-02-2013, 08:03 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,619,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
When I was visiting relatives in Idaho, I noticed a neat, box-like metal mesh cage covering the outside dryer vent on wall of their home. It seems that small animals like to come indoors when it's really cold, so folks up there install these things to keep them out. After hearing from others in our area who've had experiences similar to that of Weatherguy, I wonder why animal excluder gadgets aren't a standard item around here?
They really should be. The first thing the rodent guy said was that he was going to install one of those cages you mentioned. I had never seen one before. Glad to have it now.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:59 PM

860 posts, read 1,419,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcobra View Post
I had Joel from West Houston Dryer Vent Cleaning come out today. Nice enough guy and he cleaned out the pipes using something that looked like that LintEater system. Only gotcha is he could not clean the vent on the roof. I am in a one story home but the roof is steep. He said he was not insured to get on a steep roof like mine and did not have the safety equipment. I was a bit disappointed that a professional dryer vent cleaner could not do this. In all fairness though he did explain the situation to me before doing any work. He said he normally could get to the vent from inside the attic but my attic has the spray in foam insulation which prevents access to the various roof vents.

Joel charges a flat $100 fee for the cleaning. After watching how he did it I do agree with the previous poster that pretty much any home owner can do the same cleaning with the LintEater system, the extension kit and a drill.

BTW, why a builder would leave the screen on an inaccessible roof dryer vent is beyond me. Now I have to have a roof guy come out to permanently remove the screen and clean out the roof vent. Below is a link to the kind of dryer roof vent this newer house has.

http://kcdryervents.com/wp-content/u..._vent_lint.jpg
Screens are on roof vents so critters can't use them to enter your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston